Collingwood Cult Figures

Remove this Banner Ad

Ian "strop" Cooper.

Fatui Ataata (forget that he never played a seniors game, we loved him on the hill!)

that brought back some memories...I remember watching Fatui running around in the Army Reserve Cup (or whatever they called the 2s in those days) and wondering why he never got a game. After seeing that, I still wonder...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Troy Lehmann. I remember he had a good game, (like all of them), against the Bears in 91. Daicos kicked 13 that night, and Pants had 40 disposals. There is one occasion where Pants give some classic encouragement to Lehmann. What a mentor, for a skinny young Pie with promise and a mullet!

I can top that, with one Brenden Abbott, AKA The Big Show. One of the most cult-ish (sp?) Collinwood players to never play a senior game.
I thought the bracketed was for the word that preceded it.
However......

Ian "strop" Cooper.

Fatui Ataata (forget that he never played a seniors game, we loved him on the hill!)

Do you remember things well enough from back then to have an idea as to why he never managed even one senior game? He didn't even get a pre-season/night series game, yet was at the club from 1981-85 (I believe), playing U-19s and then Reserves.

He obviously had size, speed, and didn't seem to lack confidence (watching those highlights). He kicked 4 goals in a Reserves final, so played at both ends. Looking at his highlights from that game he seems to have "played a blinder" yet the commentator suggested he had a bad day. The team was thrashed, and he did play in defence, but ... He must have had some flaw in his game that left him untried at Collingwood, and not picked up by another club. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Do you remember things well enough from back then to have an idea as to why he never managed even one senior game? He didn't even get a pre-season/night series game, yet was at the club from 1981-85 (I believe), playing U-19s and then Reserves.

He obviously had size, speed, and didn't seem to lack confidence (watching those highlights). He kicked 4 goals in a Reserves final, so played at both ends. Looking at the highlights from that game he seems to have "played a blinder" yet the commentator suggested he had a bad day. The team was thrashed, and he did play in defence, but ... He must have had some flaw in his game that left him untried at Collingwood, and not picked up by another club. Any thoughts?
No eyed deer mate.

He obviously had size, speed, and didn't seem to lack confidence (watching those highlights). He kicked 4 goals in a Reserves final, so played at both ends. Looking at his highlights from that game he seems to have "played a blinder" yet the commentator suggested he had a bad day. The team was thrashed, and he did play in defence, but ... He must have had some flaw in his game that left him untried at Collingwood, and not picked up by another club. Any thoughts?

Just had a few blokes ahead of him at senior level from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back