2019-2020 NHL Season

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Blues actually used to have a good defence
The Faulk-Edmundson trade has back fired on St Louis. Faulk is lousy in his own zone and his offense has dried up. A really odd trade to make considering they just won the cup. You would think they would keep same personnel together.

Binnington hasn't replicated last seasons form.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
I am once again here complaining about Jim Benning. Atrocious trade

these guys are so ****ing obsessed with making the playoffs and it's just.. any team can make the ****ing playoffs with enough luck (hot goalie, etc). it means nothing.

Anyway, the trade was: Tyler Toffoli for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd Round Pick

So the return is fine. Toffoli is probably the 2nd best player Benning has traded for. But he's likely a rental. The cost is not good. The Tim Schaller issue is that while he's no good, he's on an expiring contract. So that doesn't help us with any salary cap concerns next year (assuming a 83M salary cap, we've already got 63M/75.9% on the books, with Markstorm coming off contract) which is something that desperately needs to happen (we're wasting 9.5M on Baertschi, Sutter & Beagle). Getting a contract from next out of the way needed to happen. And then the Madden & 2nd round pick problem is just...Madden's one of our top prospects. When are we spending this much on rentals when we're probably barely make the playoffs at best.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Avs, Spurs, ManU, Raiders, BlueJays
I am once again here complaining about Jim Benning. Atrocious trade

these guys are so ****ing obsessed with making the playoffs and it's just.. any team can make the ****ing playoffs with enough luck (hot goalie, etc). it means nothing.
If VAN weren't gonna target him, COL definitely was.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
If VAN weren't gonna target him, COL definitely was.
yeah. so? The issue isn't whether Toffoli is a worthy target for teams (he is). The issue is whether the Canucks should be one of those teams, which is clearly a no for me given the picks, prospects and players we've bleed over the past few years in our pointless attempt just to make the playoffs, with no real consideration to building a Stanley cup contending roster.

best case, we make the playoffs, maybe even steal a series. then what? we plan a parade?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
If Toffoli helps Vancouver reach the West Finals. (Definitely possible from the pacific side of the playoffs) then i think its a significant win.

You might have to play Calgary in rd1 (other rumoured toffoli suitors) ..i think its best toffoli is on vancouvers side rather than an opponent in rd 1.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Pretty happy with the Dillon acquisition even if it is only a rental
I think he would have been a good fit in a number of teams who are too attacking for their own good.

Also quietly happy that the Leafs haven't been scored on yet because * this team man...

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Also just worked out how Pittsburgh are doing so well; according to NHL.com they currently have 4 defenders on the ice:

1582244473450.png

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
Not looking great for the Coyotes.

Currently outside a playoff spot and have played significantly more games than the teams they are competing with. By the time March starts could be 5 or 6 pts out AT BEST.

Calgary is equal with them and hold the 8 seed but have played 3 fewer games. Nashville and Minnesota chasing them with 5 fewer games played.

Been dealt a harsh blow with the Kuemper injury, but still...youd have to think would be getting some enquiries about Taylor Hall.

Back