Injury Injury and fitness thread 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
Please keep us updated and informed about any injuries or fitness concerns. Hartigan has just had arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle, but it is expected to hardly set him back at all. https://www.afc.com.au/news/553672/hartigan-undergoes-surgery

Doesn't seem like there are too many concerns just at the moment. This was the situation just a few days before Christmas.

Injury list
Tom Doedee:
The defender is ticking every box in his return from a torn ACL suffered in round one. He's back in the main group, will integrate into full contact drills and is aiming to play in at least one game of the Marsh Community Series.

Shane McAdam: Was on a modified program after having calf and hamstring issues this year but is now back in the main group and completing full training.

Ned McHenry: Was eased into the pre-season but has increased training significantly in recent weeks and is back among the main group. Finished second in the Crows' 2km time trial in November.

Andrew McPherson: Another who the Crows have taken a cautious approach with given his injury history. McPherson has ramped up his training loads in recent weeks.

Christmas Break
The Crows had their last day of training on Thursday, December 19, with the squad returning to pre-season training after the Christmas break on Friday, January 10.

With news of Hartigan's ankle injury, I'm expecting a drip feed from the club regarding injuries and subsequent surgeries, with the usual suspects to feature prominently.

We have an injury update. To summarise it looks like Doedee will make his return through the under 23's practice match v Port Adelaide Saturday week, February the 29th. The availability of McHenry for this Saturdays first Marsh Community series game in outer Melbourne is being assessed after receiving a knee to his abdominal wall. Hartigan should be available while Riley Knight will miss full training for about three to four weeks due to an Achilles tendon injury. That the only injury of any duration appears to be Knight who most of us do not have in the best 22 (or even 25 when adding in emergencies) is very good news at this stage of our preparations.

Read the full update here:

We have an injury update. To summarise it looks like Doedee will make his return through the under 23's practice match v Port Adelaide Saturday week, February the 29th. The availability of McHenry for this Saturdays first Marsh Community series game in outer Melbourne is being assessed after receiving a knee to his abdominal wall. Hartigan should be available while Riley Knight will miss full training for about three to four weeks due to an Achilles tendon injury. That the only injury of any duration appears to be Knight who most of us do not have in the best 22 (or even 25 when adding in emergencies) is very good news at this stage of our preparations.

Read the full update here:

Personally I feel like Knight was up against it to be selected in the round 1 team anyway. This setback might actually be a bit of a blessing in disguise for him at this crossroads section of his career. Allows him to go back to the SANFL without any sour grapes and re-gain the tenacious attack on the man and body that made us all want him in our best 22 in the first place.

I don't feel like we've seen that from him in the best part of 18 months, and TBH, he's not going to get it back playing on the AFL wastelands HFF, or 2 min relief hits on the ball. He needs a really solid 1-2 months with big minutes around the pill!

Knights and Ned are having too many niggles/injuries for my liking. I hope at l least they can play full SANFL games earlier on, otherwise might be hard to see them come on the AFL team this year, with a stack of others having much better-prepared preseasons.

Knights and Ned are having too many niggles/injuries for my liking. I hope at l least they can play full SANFL games earlier on, otherwise might be hard to see them come on the AFL team this year, with a stack of others having much better-prepared preseasons.

The same McHenry that's been named for the first Marsh game?

Pretty sure Ned's 2 injuries have been a sore back from a car accident. And a bruised abdomen from ill placed knee.

I wouldn't call those Niggling injuries.

Pretty sure Ned's 2 injuries have been a sore back from a car accident. And a bruised abdomen from ill placed knee.

I wouldn't call those Niggling injuries.
I used the term “niggles/injuries”, not quite the same as “niggling injuries”. Car accidents, accidental on-field collisions, or whatever else, the main point is that I hope to see Ned and Knights back to playing earlier on this season. Need to see them play a continuous chunk of games.

I used the term “niggles/injuries”, not quite the same as “niggling injuries”. Car accidents, accidental on-field collisions, or whatever else, the main point is that I hope to see Ned and Knights back to playing earlier on this season. Need to see them play a continuous chunk of games.
Who is Knights?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ned's issues aren't niggles. They're impact injuries for going hard at it.
I would agree on his comment for now. Though I still have reservations on Ned until he can string half a dozen good games for us this year. I would also like to add that the impact injuries can mask an underlying soft tissue weakness, and may not become apparent as yet until we see a regular pattern of recurrent injuries.

I would agree on his comment for now. Though I still have reservations on Ned until he can string half a dozen good games for us this year. I would also like to add that the impact injuries can mask an underlying soft tissue weakness, and may not become apparent as yet until we see a regular pattern of recurrent injuries.
Can't remember him missing games for the Falcons or Vic Country in those 2 years so I doubt soft tissue injuries are going to be an ongoing issue. Didn't they say his issues were more related to his back so they've been working on his core according to Neddy

Can't remember him missing games for the Falcons or Vic Country in those 2 years so I doubt soft tissue injuries are going to be an ongoing issue. Didn't they say his issues were more related to his back so they've been working on his core according to Neddy

He still looked sooo tiny out there (and not height wise) and I noticed he was really lacking any definition for someone that has been working on their strength a lot supposedly. I think we need to temper expectations for Ned maybe for another 12 months. Really needs to work on bulking up after it seems he hasn't been able to do much in the gym for the last year since that neck/back related incident. A few games here and there won't hurt, but he probably needs to be a little careful given his cannonball style aggression, or else he's going to do more harm than good!

Last edited:
He still looked sooo tiny out there (and not height wise) and I noticed he was really lacking any definition for someone that has been working on their strength a lot supposedly. I think we need to temper expectations for Ned maybe for another 12 months. Really needs to work on bulking up a little after it seems he hasn't been able to do much in the gym for the last 12 months since that neck/back related incident. A few here and there won't hurt, but he probably needs to be a little careful given his cannonball style aggression, or else he's going to do more harm than good!
Have to admit, I couldn't help but come to the same conclusion. I will never doubt the kids endeavour, but I have my doubts about whether he could handle a full AFL season just yet.

I hope i'm wrong!

Does this sound like he is unlikely to be a round one selection, or does it depend upon how he goes if he actually does play the final Marsh community series?

“However, we will need take into account our upcoming playing schedule, including SANFL trial games, with a view to him returning in the early rounds of the season.”

Does this sound like he is unlikely to be a round one selection, or does it depend upon how he goes if he actually does play the final Marsh community series?

“However, we will need take into account our upcoming playing schedule, including SANFL trial games, with a view to him returning in the early rounds of the season.”

It means he starts the year in the Sanfl, assuming he hasn't had his leg amputated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back