Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The detective that wanted to know if "he'd been driven to it" has been stood aside from the investigation. And rightfully so. I don't understand how anyone can still have a mindset that maybe someone 'made him do this'.
I wonder if he'd have said "we're trying to ascertain the series of events that led to the person committing this horrific act" if he would have still been stood down.

The detective that wanted to know if "he'd been driven to it" has been stood aside from the investigation. And rightfully so. I don't understand how anyone can still have a mindset that maybe someone 'made him do this'.

Dutton clone

in all seriousness I just don’t know what he was thinking but lucky for him Bettina has come out in sort of his statement

'Driven to it' is very poor phrasing because it lazily or deliberately links the outcome back to some acceptable level of provocation. Which in this case there cannot be under any circumstance.

There's a big difference between reaching the point of absolute desperation and what action/outcome occurs at that point.

Majak Daw jumped off the Bolte. The Bourke St Mall guy drove his car onto the footpath and ran over complete strangers. Desperate/unstable people do unpredictable things. Doesn't justify anything.

That's pretty absurd. How many examples are are there of anyone torching a car with kids inside it? Off the top of my head I can't recall a similar incident occurring in Australia.

That was kind of the point though. The idea that the media is deliberately pushing some leftist feminist agenda and not reporting on incidents where women were the perpetrators is dumb. Someone even responded about a women driving her car into a dam with her kids which proves the point, it does happen, it is reported on it’s just generally far less often and far less horrific (subjectively)

But they could be depending on what the investigation finds. The language used doesn't change what they're actually trying to discover.

what are they trying to discover and when they find it, does it change the FACT that he doused his family in petrol and set fire to them.

Gutless pig didn’t even have the balls to remain in the car and burn with them

That's pretty absurd. How many examples are are there of anyone torching a car with kids inside it? Off the top of my head I can't recall a similar incident occurring in Australia.
Not the exact same thing, but I think most people would be surprised at how often dousing someone in an accelerant and lighting them on fire (or at least attempting to) occurs as a means of domestic violence

what are they trying to discover and when they find it, does it change the FACT that he doused his family in petrol and set fire to them.

It doesn't change much at all but if people expect the Police to just seal the case up and file it under complete then they're mistaken. Most certainly there will be investigations into all departments involved and if they all acted appropriately.

That was kind of the point though. The idea that the media is deliberately pushing some leftist feminist agenda and not reporting on incidents where women were the perpetrators is dumb. Someone even responded about a women driving her car into a dam with her kids which proves the point, it does happen, it is reported on it’s just generally far less often and far less horrific (subjectively)

It's definitely reported differently. In October last year a woman killed her two kids in Perth then self-harmed (I assume suicide attempt but wasn't reported exactly in those words).

Family friend Philip Couper, whose daughter Mia was best friends with the older of the two sisters, said the school community was very close-knit and everyone was in a state of shock.

"It's just a tragic, tragic accident that has just shocked and broken our community," he said.

"She'd always look after them, she'd take them under her wing.

"She was very quiet as a person, but very, very caring, and it was such a shock to hear … about the tragedy."

Accident, tragedy, she was so caring etc.

Compare that to this article which is just a (fair enough) character assassination of the Brisbane perpetrator:

IMO if your replaced 'mother' with 'father' in the Perth story above the narrative would have been presented differently.

I don't have any stats to back it up but anecdotally familicide cases completely out of the blue seems to be pretty rare. It happens, but more often it's a result of some underlying issue whether it's relationship breakdown, nasty custody battles, postnatal depression, mental health, substance abuse etc.

I'm not surprised that more serious DV cases involving men are reported because there are more of them. But I don't blindly buy into the narrative that men are inherently evil and violent because it's not an apples with apples comparison. These stats (https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs...49d8fa47b11000caca2570ec00111f17!OpenDocument) are from 1997 so pretty old but it showed 88% of kids lived with their mother over their father and 30% saw their non-custodial parent once a year or not at all. Does anyone believe that the family court system creates as many bitter, disillusioned mothers as it does fathers? For about the millionth time that does not justify violence but it's head in the sand stuff for anyone to just keep saying 'men violent, men bad' and pretend it's not a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hansie cronje blamed the devil

(not the same).

The whole event is just sickening and incredibly sad :(

Can you really not separate the two things at all?

Martin Bryant killed 35 people and copped 35 life sentences. That wasn't the end of it.

Do you not want to see the next Rowan Baxter in jail before something tragic like this occurs?

It's definitely reported differently. In October last year a woman killed her two kids in Perth then self-harmed (I assume suicide attempt but wasn't reported exactly in those words).

Accident, tragedy, she was so caring etc.

Compare that to this article which is just a (fair enough) character assassination of the Brisbane perpetrator:

IMO if your replaced 'mother' with 'father' in the Perth story above the narrative would have been presented differently.

I don't have any stats to back it up but anecdotally familicide cases completely out of the blue seems to be pretty rare. It happens, but more often it's a result of some underlying issue whether it's relationship breakdown, nasty custody battles, postnatal depression, mental health, substance abuse etc.

I'm not surprised that more serious DV cases involving men are reported because there are more of them. But I don't blindly buy into the narrative that men are inherently evil and violent because it's not an apples with apples comparison. These stats (https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs...49d8fa47b11000caca2570ec00111f17!OpenDocument) are from 1997 so pretty old but it showed 88% of kids lived with their mother over their father and 30% saw their non-custodial parent once a year or not at all. Does anyone believe that the family court system creates as many bitter, disillusioned mothers as it does fathers? For about the millionth time that does not justify violence but it's head in the sand stuff for anyone to just keep saying 'men violent, men bad' and pretend it's not a factor.

Did you see the initial reports of Baxter? They were not the scathing reports they now are, also plenty of men are given leniency in the reporting of these incidents.

detective Mark Thompson.

Popular name for mister meaners

I agree it's complex (is it any surprise the Family Court gives custody to the mother more often when the mother traditionally was the primary caregiver or stay at home parent?). But what doesn't help is taking a defensive attitude to a real problem. Men might not be inherently bad, but men are inherently the problem in domestic violence incidents. Instead of trying to distract from the issue by saying 'but I'm a good bloke', as if this fact is a personal attack on us, we should simply acknowledge the issue and try to solve it.

It's the same as the 'all lives matter' movement or 'not all men'. It takes a real and present danger and asks people to stop thinking about and think about our hurt feelings instead.

Can we all agree that the bloke in Brisbane was a completely unhinged a-hole and net let a one-off atrocity cloud the issue?

pviolence.gif
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2016 (latest figures available). They are updated every four years, the next release will be early next year.
https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4906.0

but men are inherently the problem in domestic violence incidents.

2.147 million victims of domestic violence, of which 74% were women and 26% were men.

Please stop pretending that over half a million victims do not exist. You, the media, and the politicians. ALL victims should be afforded the same support. ALL perpetrators should be dealt with equally.

Saw that Rivers had some cheap sports shorts online, instead of paying for postage I figured I would go to the one near me instead.

Get to the counter and ask are these the same prices as online? They reply with "we don't price match".....

So Rivers doesn't 'price match' its own website???

Saw that Rivers had some cheap sports shorts online, instead of paying for postage I figured I would go to the one near me instead.

Get to the counter and ask are these the same prices as online? They reply with "we don't price match".....

So Rivers doesn't 'price match' its own website???
Did you say you were talking about their own website? Maybe they just misunderstood you and just assumed you were talking about the generic "online"

Did you say you were talking about their own website? Maybe they just misunderstood you and just assumed you were talking about the generic "online"
I thought it was pretty obvious it was their own website when I showed them my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back