austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I think they just increased the quality of the crest. There's definitely some more 'crispness' to it now.

I've updated my concept a bit more. Have a geez. The bottom crest is the update.
View attachment 825545
I fell in love with a font and decided to use it for the saints (that C tho). It also allows for a bit of cool movement when italicised..

View attachment 825547
Let me know what you think!!
I like this update a lot and agree about the font and the C

...but I still prefer Futura! I'm not usually a traditionalist, but that font on the crest banner is just so perfect, the only thing I'd change from the original is
  • the red, which I'd change to your darker version,
  • the outline, which I'd go halfway between yours and the original,
  • and the letter spacing which I'd decrease a little from the original

EDIT: I just quickly tried to "redo" your latest effort with futura and now realise what you're talking about. Futura rocks, but in italics is pretty meh, your version is definitely a better italicised version.

I include that and my rip off of your good work with futura in non-italics, as well as a cheeky black on white version for anybody who gives a monkey's. (sorry about the shabbiness of the text outlines, like I said, just a quickie!)

Cheers SFgiant, I love your work, hope you don't mind me borrowing most of it, I certainly don't want to pass it off as my own, just kind of messing around with it. I don't really have time to do it properly or to show you what I mean with the crest banner.

STK fut ital.jpg
stk fut.jpg
stk white.jpg

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
st k wh topright.jpg
st k wh mid.jpg

hmmmm...

too corporate maybe? Little unbalanced on the right?

It's growing on me!

Last edited:

Dard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
May 23, 2016
W.A
AFL Club
St Kilda
I like this update a lot and agree about the font and the C

...but I still prefer Futura! I'm not usually a traditionalist, but that font on the crest banner is just so perfect, the only thing I'd change from the original is
  • the red, which I'd change to your darker version,
  • the outline, which I'd go halfway between yours and the original,
  • and the letter spacing which I'd decrease a little from the original

EDIT: I just quickly tried to "redo" your latest effort with futura and now realise what you're talking about. Futura rocks, but in italics is pretty meh, your version is definitely a better italicised version.

I include that and my rip off of your good work with futura in non-italics, as well as a cheeky black on white version for anybody who gives a monkey's. (sorry about the shabbiness of the text outlines, like I said, just a quickie!)

Cheers SFgiant, I love your work, hope you don't mind me borrowing most of it, I certainly don't want to pass it off as my own, just kind of messing around with it. I don't really have time to do it properly or to show you what I mean with the crest banner.

View attachment 826839View attachment 826840View attachment 826858

don’t mind what you’re doing with the red “I” to form the RWB, could be something in it!

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
don’t mind what you’re doing with the red “I” to form the RWB, could be something in it!

I'm picturing the same idea but in the same sort of font they used for "Together We Rise" promos, or even spray paint graffiti style, if anyone could be bothered mocking that up? Could be a good street promo idea around the bayside streets!

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
View attachment 826865View attachment 826866
hmmmm...

too corporate maybe? Little unbalanced on the right?

It's growing on me!
Just noticed that the Official Saints videos have a very similar thing at the start (check out the first 2seconds of the latest Geary video) so I'm no longer as brilliant and original as I thought and am instead a shameless subconscious copycat :-(

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
Spending a bit of time on the Saints' store website weighing up my the options for the $20 voucher that came with the membership, another OCD inducing feature of the current Saints' design language has come to my attention.

The tiny website icon.
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 9.02.51 pm.png

The crest in its current form doesn't allow for smaller applications like icons, so in my anal rage, (don't google that, or do. I don't care, you're an adult, make your own decisions) I decided to design some smaller application-specific crests with thicker lines (than my crest) and simpler word marks. It's nothing, but they just add a bit more of a professional feeling to my concepts I feel. Plus I get to bump this thread for more interest, or (constructive) criticism.
Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 9.11.15 pm.png

Sep 20, 2009
NSW
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here's a gif just illustrating the crest in a post-MS paint afl. Lazy Sundays..
View attachment 649739

I hate change of any type, but I do like your version of the crest. My only complaint is that the red feels a little bit too moroon for my liking. But the bolded outline makes it feel like a stamp, like it's there and not going anywhere.

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
I hate change of any type, but I do like your version of the crest. My only complaint is that the red feels a little bit too moroon for my liking. But the bolded outline makes it feel like a stamp, like it's there and not going anywhere.
That's due to the bolded outline 'mixing' with the red at smaller sizes.. I'll have a play with it

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 9.58.20 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 9.58.20 pm.png
    521.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 9.58.31 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 9.58.31 pm.png
    229.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 9.58.53 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 9.58.53 pm.png
    219.9 KB · Views: 44
May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
Unashamed merch plug..
I have some merch going for some of the logos I've made. Caps, shirts, mugs, hoodies, stickers, bags, phone cases and more are available at the links below. I've got 2 logos going, as they avoid (I believe) copyright infringement.
Here's a few pics of the merch
View attachment 1305749View attachment 1305750View attachment 1305748View attachment 1305751View attachment 1305752View attachment 1305753
Just click the 'view this on +# products' to see more stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1513301
150 Year logo.

Half arsed
Where did you find this? Can't see it anywhere on the internet or in emails.

I don't mind it, I think it's achieved most of what you've been pushing for. I'm assuming we'll adopt the shield full time moving forwards.
Also can't believe it will have been 10 years since we wore the hoops jumper for the 140th.

May 9, 2011
VIC
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
San Francisco Giants
Where did you find this? Can't see it anywhere on the internet or in emails.

I don't mind it, I think it's achieved most of what you've been pushing for. I'm assuming we'll adopt the shield full time moving forwards.
Also can't believe it will have been 10 years since we wore the hoops jumper for the 140th.
Reddit r/afl
Ehh the linework still needs a bit of TLC.That weird point on the bottom of the shield, the seperate black outer line muddying up things.. I could have done better 😉

Reddit r/afl
Ehh the linework still needs a bit of TLC.That weird point on the bottom of the shield, the seperate black outer line muddying up things.. I could have done better 😉
Oh yeah yuck I really wish you hadn't pointed out the bottom of the shield. Really not a fan of how it and the cross are rounded off, needs to be a nice crisp point.

Pretty good, better readability at different sizes, and I like that the pencil-thin black line was removed but the white stroke remains.

Will it carry on to replace our current logo going forward or is it just for the coming year, do we know?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back