A-League Round 20 - Back to A Full Round!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
“Win lose or draw we will never leave you”
“Once we get our new stadium it will show the Spotless years as a blip”
“Biggest and Best supporters in the land”

IMG_0149.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I think you are right. I think, in hindsight, being at spotless had some affect but not as much as has been stated by the club.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

To be fair they weren’t packing them in at the old Parra either. Their highest avg was 15k and that was with 2 sold out derbies adding to the avg.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Are the RBB still around or are they just a small minority now?

Vocal online but haven’t seen a huge contingent in a very very very long time.

And this isn’t a veiled shot, I know the cove isn’t what it used to be either.
But we are drawing bigger crowds in our Gypsy state than them and they have the best football ground in the league.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
“Win lose or draw we will never leave you”
“Once we get our new stadium it will show the Spotless years as a blip”
“Biggest and Best supporters in the land”

View attachment 826854

You should send that photo to that Pippin dick who hangs around the football industry board with his gibberish on GWS. ;)

EDIT: lol I see you've already posted it on the 3rd team in Sydney thread he's bound to see it now lol

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vocal online but haven’t seen a huge contingent in a very very very long time.

And this isn’t a veiled shot, I know the cove isn’t what it used to be either.
But we are drawing bigger crowds in our Gypsy state than them and they have the best football ground in the league.

I think the RRB got a bit to big for the own good a little like the NT it was never gonna be sustainable with all the ratbags and hooles that hang around them.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
You should send that photo to that Pippin dick who hangs around the football industry board with his gibberish on GWS. ;)

EDIT: lol I see you've already posted it on the 3rd team in Sydney thread he's bound to see it now lol

1st thing I did when I saw it lol.

He is so pathetic. Wanderers fan creating a troll account to bag a sport on its forum 🤦‍♂️

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I think the RRB got a bit to big for the own good a little like the NT it was never gonna be sustainable with all the ratbags and hooles that hang around them.

I’ll be honest, as a Western Sydney boy the thought did cross my mind to jump. But every time I met them or heard them at games it was always about them and not the club or team.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I’ll be honest, as a Western Sydney boy the thought did cross my mind to jump. But every time I met them or heard them at games it was always about them and not the club or team.

In the early day I did sense that most of the crowd went just to experience the RBB rather than the team. Helps that they where winning to keep that momentum, but once that disappeared and the RRB where relegated to nothing more than your average supporter group well it showed that they where nothing special just your average A-league supported club.

Last edited:

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
To be fair they weren’t packing them in at the old Parra either. Their highest avg was 15k and that was with 2 sold out derbies adding to the avg.

So they have increased the average but not back to where it was (and looks worse due to the bigger cap). Im sure the crowd will begin to grow, but we shall see.

There was some RBB flare usage at the w league last night (although there were like 5 people behind the banner).

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
So they have increased the average but not back to where it was (and looks worse due to the bigger cap). Im sure the crowd will begin to grow, but we shall see.

There was some RBB flare usage at the w league last night (although there were like 5 people behind the banner).

flares at a W-League match what the hell?

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
As a Victory fan, supporting a team whose crowd numbers have also dropped off almost 50% from the peak, I can't be critical of WSW fans.

There are 2 contributing factors that are common to the Vuck and Wanderers IMO.

1) there's a general stank on the league that was the result of the FFAs insistence that potential casual fans were worth more than dedicated active fans. It's common to these 2 clubs because they were the teams with the best, most vibrant active support who were adding colour and excitement to the league, who were most greatly affected by the FFAs fear of colour and atmosphere. The FFA never understood that this atmosphere was the draw, it was never the players on the field in a country that expects world standard (based on the fact that we typically follow sports that aren't global ones, they're sports like AFL, rugby league and cricket that are either domestic, or that we can dominate.)

2) there's a complete absence of hope, not in the team but in the management and direction of the club.

I can't sit here and criticise Wanderers fans who don't turn up, cos this season I didn't re-up my Victory membership either. I'm one of those people who lost a bit of faith in the direction the league and my team was taking. I can handle losing. I can't handle a complete deficit of direction or ambition.

It feels like we've given up. Where's the promotion? Where are the big names? ($1m meme budget? * off.) Where is the endeavour to keep winning over the mainstream?

I'll continue to be a Victory fan, I'll continue to watch every game on tv. But I no longer believe that we as a sport are a chance of breaking into the mainstream and becoming a competitive league on a global scale. We're just NSL 2.0. And we can't blame "the ethnics" for the league's failures, we can only blame those that we entrusted with running the game.

Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Atalanta B.C
As a Victory fan, supporting a team whose crowd numbers have also dropped off almost 50% from the peak, I can't be critical of WSW fans.

1) there's a general stank on the league that was the result of the FFAs insistence that potential casual fans were worth more than dedicated active fans. It's common to these 2 clubs because they were the teams with the best, most vibrant active support who were adding colour and excitement to the league, who were most greatly affected by the FFAs fear of colour and atmosphere. The FFA never understood that this atmosphere was the draw, it was never the players on the field in a country that expects world standard (based on the fact that we typically follow sports that aren't global ones, they're sports like AFL, rugby league and cricket that are either domestic, or that we can dominate.)

2) there's a complete absence of hope, not in the team but in the management and direction of the club.

I can't sit here and criticise Wanderers fans who don't turn up, cos this season I didn't re-up my Victory membership either. I'm one of those people who lost a bit of faith in the direction the league and my team was taking. I can handle losing. I can't handle a complete deficit of direction or ambition.

It feels like we've given up. Where's the promotion? Where are the big names? ($1m meme budget? fu** off.) Where is the endeavour to keep winning over the mainstream?

I'll continue to be a Victory fan, I'll continue to watch every game on tv. But I no longer believe that we as a sport are a chance of breaking into the mainstream and becoming a competitive league on a global scale. We're just NSL 2.0. And we can't blame "the ethnics" for the league's failures, we can only blame those that we entrusted with running the game.
Good post. As a Perth fan we used to have active support separate from the shed but they got chopped up too.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Good post. As a Perth fan we used to have active support separate from the shed but they got chopped up too.

So true. The Glory team in the dying days of the NSL were the model for what became the A-League! But they got beaten down to nothing almost a decade earlier than the Victory and Wanderers supporterships did.

It's bonkers. We all watched that NSL final with 40k at Subiaco and were excited by it. The Crawford report in 2003 backed this model. And then as soon as the A-League started to gather some steam we murdered this model for no reason other than the fact that, while being completely congruent with football in Europe, it was different to what Australia's casual sport fans had experienced.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams

It feels like we've given up. Where's the promotion? Where are the big names? ($1m meme budget? fu** off.) Where is the endeavour to keep winning over the mainstream?

"The ethnics" was never the problem in the old NSL no matter what smoke screen they try to sell you. It was and always has been the governess of the game that is the problem, to much fraction and internal fighting for a slice of the power.

When the A-league started we all thought wow Lowey has done it he's finally got everyone together and for a brief period we saw that, we saw how the game could prosper, But as always hiding in the background was the fraction and the infighting and the struggle for a piece of the power.

Joe Gormans book The Death & Life of Australian Soccer goes in depth about this problem that continues to hover over the game. highly recommended reading if you are interested in the politics of it all.

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
"The ethnics" was never the problem in the old NSL no matter what smoke screen they try to sell you. It was and always has been the governess of the game that is the problem to much fraction and internal fighting for a slice of the power.

When the A-league started we all thought wow Lowey has done it he's finally got everyone together and for a brief period we saw that, we saw how the game could prosper, But as always hiding in the background was the fraction and the infighting and the struggle for a piece of the power.

Joe Gormans book The Death & Life of Australian Soccer goes in depth about this problem that continues to hover over the game. highly recommended reading if you are interested in the politics of it all.

Oh, I totally get that, I only mentioned the "ethnic clubs" because they were a pretty widely accepted scapegoat for the death of the NSL.

I've mentioned on this forum before that Ross Solly's "Shoot out" is another great book about Australian football in the 90s that still resonates today.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, we just moved back into the shed. It had nothing to do with 'getting chopped up'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back