Game Day North vs Bulldogs. Preseason game 1. Welcome back Maj.

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually thought our midfield was at its best when Xerri was in the ruck. Goldy was average I thought against a young ruck that is yet to debut.

I actually thought our midfield was at its best when Xerri was in the ruck. Goldy was average I thought against a young ruck that is yet to debut.

Xerri went alright I reckon, performed his roles well in the ruck and forward. I don't think we're anywhere close to seeing his best yet, but his best might prove to be good enough to replace Goldy when the time comes.

You don’t think 5 of our best 6 or so players being out made a difference?
In the result or skill level?

Results I couldn’t careless about in practice games. But what the team has been working on during the off-season and showing us that is what I’m looking out for in these types of games.

We’re a middle team as it is on talent.....basic skill errors and the only intent by being aggressive doesn’t help.

The style of footy we play under Shaw was never going to put on display in a practise game. I am confident that this team will have a good season after a couple of practise games and our best players on the park. I think people read to much into these games, if we dished up this effort in rd 1 like last season i will start worrying.
🎯

That goal out of the ruck from Goldy was vintage stuff.

Boy oh boy, the sidestep from TT was something else, especially if you pay no attention to the Bulldogs player basically tripping over his own feet and parting the sea for TT like one of those stories from that old book some people still keep copies of.

The dogs have butchered us with the harlem globetrotter type skills several times over the past few years. Was today a surprise?

My main disappointment is that after 22 pages, we have not yet identified a stadout candidate or candidates to scapegoat for this one.

Plenty of the whipping boys played. Surely we can dump all of this on Macmillans or McDonalds and pretend the problems are only surface deep.

By the way is Brads Scotts still on the books? The final Scotts payment will be like that day when you finally pay off the car.

The car your 'friend' wrote off 12 months ago.

Between you, me, and the tree, of course. Allegorically speaking.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s been mentioned but Riewoldt said that mason wood was available but wasn’t selected. That’s a huge concern if that’s the case.
I think the bigger concern is Atley, J Mac, L Mac and Turner were available and WERE picked!!!!!
It’s time to send a message Rhys. Show the group that you need to earn your spot. Another performance like last night and I’ll lose my shlt.

Ah big footy never fails to disappoint... the melts on here over a pre-season game are laughable. We had 5 of our top 10 players missing & dogs were almost at full strength. They are a better team than us & I expect them to seriously be pushing for a flag this year. We ain’t gonna win it, we never were.
We are scraping into the 8 at best. That’s just were we are at... the sooner everyone gets used to this fact, the better.
The main concern for me is that the A+ graders like Bont always tear us apart. We need to find a tagger ASAP.
The Herald Sun rates our midfield the 3rd best in the comp. Games are won and lost in the midfield.
Don’t do the old trick of setting the bar low so you don’t get disappointed.

Our skills were disgusting, so frustrating to watch. Jed the main culprit.

We dropped a heap of marks, nerves maybe but it stood out.

Bont absolutely destroyed us.

TT will be a star.

I wasn't sure what we were trying to implement and hope Shaw is keeping his cards close to his chest in terms of game plan. We do play them round 4 GF.

Not a lot of positives to take out of the game, except that we get some players to come back.

Can't see a big membership push after that though.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would like to see Hosie in for Turner, Comben for garner and a different forward structure. Our small-mediums simply aren’t good enough to kick us a winning score atm.

Pre-season games are for trying different things and giving lots of players a go.
Didn't watch the game yesterday and from comments on here it sounded we were well off the mark.
Not too worried about that yet. Want to see close to first round team in final pre-season game!
Going to next Friday's game against Dees to have a look. Expecting a few changes and a better output!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Luke

You think you’re a bit of a tough man, but dropping your head & spilling marks when it’s your turn to go means you’re not. You’ve quickly becomes my most unliked north player.

I think I might start to call you Anthony. Anthony Banik.

regards
BSOAT

Last year we were s**t in preseason game 1 and adjusted nothing.

If we persist they way we did last year it's gonna be a long year.

Some players should be being torn to shreds in the next few days.

No more sacred cows.

Set standards and drive expectations.

Happy to say that CityLink or EastLink or whatever it is got me home an hour quicker than it got me into the city a few hours earlier. Jeepers, how people do that every day is beyond me. That said I went to watch NMFC, so I guess folk can ask me the same question. My little mate was as elusive as Bontempelli, just managed to catch a glimpse of blonde hair every now and then. He was obviously non captivated by the footy. Fair call. I expect "senior" footballers to hit a target. I expect "senior" footballers that are right footed not to run to the left of a player and call for the ball. I expect "senior" footballers to mark an opponent when they are playing in the backline.

Mahony looks a cluey footballer, and sort of a cross between Corey Jones and Troy Makepeace :)
Walker looked handy at the back :)
Curtis Taylor is winning the car at the moment, and nice of him to goal as well :)

I am waaaayyyy tired of hack kicks forward.

Freekick Footscray, jeepers. Is it an election year?
Good summary. I missed the first quarter but the rest - garbage. Yes we had big outs but the basic skill problems were exactly the same as last year. Fumbles, missed targets from 30 metres, handballs to feet, dropped marks, handpassing to a player with his opposite up his clacker - ffs it was frustrating. We were dreadful. Yes, its effectively a practice match but its time to show we have improved, generate some member excitement, get the fence sitters to renew their membership. With a few exceptions, same crap. Long bombs to snake killed me - snake isn't playing. Frustrating to watch but, yes, its a praccy math. Still, bad habits are hard to kill off - good form is contagious.

Nothing really to get excited about. Taylor and Bonar looked alright.

Mid sized backs were a shambles all night, same goes for mid sized forwards.

Skills were deplorable, especially Anderson. Ahern not much better.

Walker with 10 marks was decent, Durdin showed some signs.

We don’t have as much depth as I thought.

Be interesting if Shaw keeps polishing or decides to take the big step and make calls on players early. We need to be promoting skilful players and those with strong athletic traits. The likes of Mc Donald, Dumont, Turner, Mc Millian and even Atley, I am happy to replace them with players that aren't 100% ready if they are progressing the future of the club.

We have a lack of depth.
No fwd line - brown Ziebell wood
Our three best forwards.

Best defender Tarrant

Best user Higgins
best wing Polec

Coupled with Hall who could be one of the above replacements LDU who plays over a Mahoney.

Makes a difference to our structure. Even Polec and higgo would be a huge difference for blokes to be able to dish it to instead of Anderson trying
to find a target.
Absolutely this. Players without the skills needed were simply unable to execute the required pass at the required time to the required target.

Ben10’s 20+ possessions means jack s**t if you can’t lock it into the forward 50.

Larkey is not capable of playing the solo forward role, yet.

Anderson or Zuhaar, not both.

Dropped marks, WTF is that all about?

Maj is not ready for round 1 yet, might need some time in the magoos to get his game touch back.

McMillan wasn’t as bad as some were making out. Thought he was good in the second quarter.

Williams will be suspended for the high hit; in his defence the player fell into it.

Hopefully that is Pittard’s worst game for the year.

Garner way behind others.

What has gone wrong with Turner? He was a lovely kick as a 17 year old.

Bonar looked good.

TT was sublime when he had the ball in hand.

Wish we had a Bont, impressive player.

The Bulldog’s ability to spear a pass by foot through traffic really stood out. Short, quick stab passes at 20 - 40 meters carved us up all night. Very rarely did they kick long to a pack. They picked a target and that is where the ball went. Like I said, impressive when you see it at the ground.

I suspect next game will be a full dress rehearsal with the round 1 team. If we get a repeat performance, then I will start to worry.

Absolutely this. Players without the skills needed were simply unable to execute the required pass at the required time to the required target.

Ben10’s 20+ possessions means jack s**t if you can’t lock it into the forward 50.

Maj is not ready for round 1 yet, might need some time in the magoos to get his game touch back.

McMillan wasn’t as bad as some were making out. Thought he was good in the second quarter.

Williams will be suspended for the high hit; in his defence the player fell into it.

Bonar looked good.

The Bulldog’s ability to spear a pass by foot through traffic really stood out. Short, quick stab passes at 20 - 40 meters carved us up all night. Very rarely did they kick long to a pack. They picked a target and that is where the ball went. Like I said, impressive when you see it at the ground.

I suspect next game will be a full dress rehearsal with the round 1 team. If we get a repeat performance, then I will start to worry.

Don't think that the team we rolled out was too far off the best 22 mentality, accounting for injuries of course, so that group contained the leading contenders.

Bonar looked good.

Majak will be fine, and is a lock for round 1

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pre season (practice) matches are just that. I am ok in using these games to try some things or give game time to some younger players. The skills on some players is just frustrating and the same errors on senior players is annoying.
Hoping some of the errors are ironed out .
I have a feeling there will be a different look come round 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back