Injury Fremantle 2020 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not just best 22. Best 10, the others being Fyfe, Walters, Hill, Ryan, Lobb.

We're a developing side and need new members of the 'best 10' (or better still, to expand the list to 'best 15'). With any luck the 6 guys who play the first few rounds in their place will be future best 10/15.

I read an article on TheAthletic.com this morning about load management of players in the NBA and the significant benefit it provides you over the course of a season, with minimal influence on a team's chances of losing the games they are rested for.

The example they use in the article is Kawhi Leonard with the Raptors last year, sitting out 22 games in the regular season but playing maximum minutes in the playoffs. Something he wouldn't have been able to do had they not managed him throughout the season.

A lazy hypothetical I'll offer would be to consider a player like Stephen Hill, who played three games last year. Let's say he increases our chances of winning a game by 2-3% when he plays (the best NBA player is worth just under 5%). Although a great player, his overall influence is negligible to an individual in a single game, however, he missed 19 games last year, so 19 x 2-3% adds up to quite a lot.

Easy in hindsight, but there was no good reason for Hogan to play 12 games straight to the Melbourne game where he re-injured his foot. He was coming off a really significant injury and his management up until that point did not appear to have been considered with the seriousness it probably deserved (hindsight).

Had Hogan be held out for maybe 2-3 of those games, he may have prevented re-injuring his foot and played 15 games all up and giving us a better chance of playing finals. All we know is that he wasn't managed and he re-injured his foot.

I could make a similar argument for Pearce & Taberner

Happy day.

What was the chain that gave it to Mundy? I remember Lachie Neale getting a quick tap. Can't remember the ruck.
Sandilands tapped it down and sorta blocked one of the Richmond players allowing Neale to split through the middle and run off.

Yes. Sandi went up in the ruck, couldn't take clean possession and as he turned it sort of fumbled the ball behind him, Lachie Neale collected it on the move, ran about 30m without bounding it and put it into space in front of Mundy.

Eddie said "Last Roll of the Dice!" about four times in the second half. Poor Beams didn't stand a chance.

Yes. Sandi went up in the ruck, couldn't take clean possession and as he turned it sort of fumbled the ball behind him, Lachie Neal collected it on the move, ran about 30m without bounding it and put it into space in front of Mundy.

Eddie said "Last Roll of the Dice!" about four times in the second half. Poor Beams didn't stand a chance.

One of the few memorable Freo games I have been lucky enough to see live in Melbourne. From memory that was the last game Richmond lost that year? And we were the first side to defeat them the next year?
Just to balance up that memorable game at the MCG I have witnessed plenty of shockers in Melbourne over the years.

One of the few memorable Freo games I have been lucky enough to see live in Melbourne. From memory that was the last game Richmond lost that year? And we were the first side to defeat them the next year?
Just to balance up that memorable game at the MCG I have witnessed plenty of shockers in Melbourne over the years.
Believe your thinking about us beating the Bulldogs round 23 2016 (when they went on to win a flag) and then beating them round 3 the next year. Pretty sure Richmond lost games after we played them in 2017 and we got smashed when we played them the year after

Not just best 22. Best 10, the others being Fyfe, Walters, Hill, Ryan, Lobb.
Only Pearce, Wilson and Hamling would be best 10 at the moment. Hogan has done nothing( with Freo) to earn that status and Mundy is getting long in the tooth and looked very jaded at times last season. I suspect he will struggle to be in the best 22 by seasons end.

FWIW my best 10 at the moment are Fyfe/Hamling/Pearce/Lobb/Ryan/Wilson/Darcy/Hill/Brayshaw/Conca

Believe your thinking about us beating the Bulldogs round 23 2016 (when they went on to win a flag) and then beating them round 3 the next year. Pretty sure Richmond lost games after we played them in 2017 and we got smashed when we played them the year after

Yes you are correct. My memory is not what it used to be and my memory isn't what it used to be either 😳

I think my point is more about expectations.

IMO Without those injuries we were a good chance in our opening 4 games , now likely 0-4 leading to a bottom 4 finish.

I am happy to talk about the positives, development and growth maybe about a 10 win season.... but it ain’t happening with this injury list.

This could be a very long year.

Only Pearce, Wilson and Hamling would be best 10 at the moment. Hogan has done nothing( with Freo) to earn that status and Mundy is getting long in the tooth and looked very jaded at times last season. I suspect he will struggle to be in the best 22 by seasons end.

FWIW my best 10 at the moment are Fyfe/Hamling/Pearce/Lobb/Ryan/Wilson/Darcy/Hill/Brayshaw/Conca
Michael Walters says look at me look at me.
Then slots a pressure goal from the pocket and flips you the bird

Seriously though best 10 is a dilemma for sure. I'd still have Mundy because he's class and a beautiful player to watch. Tayl0r will tell me his beep test is over 3.08 seconds and he was more than 78 cm away from his opponent at 64.9% of stoppages last year. Who is to say which of us is right?

Seriously though best 10 is a dilemma for sure. I'd still have Mundy because he's class and a beautiful player to watch. Tayl0r will tell me his beep test is over 3.08 seconds and he was more than 78 cm away from his opponent at 64.9% of stoppages last year. Who is to say which of us is right?
I will. You are. Mundy is still ******* elite.

But I like David Mundy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read an article on TheAthletic.com this morning about load management of players in the NBA and the significant benefit it provides you over the course of a season, with minimal influence on a team's chances of losing the games they are rested for.

The example they use in the article is Kawhi Leonard with the Raptors last year, sitting out 22 games in the regular season but playing maximum minutes in the playoffs. Something he wouldn't have been able to do had they not managed him throughout the season.

A lazy hypothetical I'll offer would be to consider a player like Stephen Hill, who played three games last year. Let's say he increases our chances of winning a game by 2-3% when he plays (the best NBA player is worth just under 5%). Although a great player, his overall influence is negligible to an individual in a single game, however, he missed 19 games last year, so 19 x 2-3% adds up to quite a lot.

Easy in hindsight, but there was no good reason for Hogan to play 12 games straight to the Melbourne game where he re-injured his foot. He was coming off a really significant injury and his management up until that point did not appear to have been considered with the seriousness it probably deserved (hindsight).

Had Hogan be held out for maybe 2-3 of those games, he may have prevented re-injuring his foot and played 15 games all up and giving us a better chance of playing finals. All we know is that he wasn't managed and he re-injured his foot.

I agree that certain players should be managed at times but it's difficult to do in the context of AFL (22 matches compared to 82 in the NBA) where there is such a small margin for error in terms of ladder positions. Regarding the Hogan injury, we had the bye the previous week and it was a critical match in terms of the team making the finals. If we had beaten the Dees, we would have been 8-5 and in a prime position for the final 9 matches. Clearly, it didn't work out as Hogan went down in the first quarter and we lost the match. In hindsight it's easy to be critical.

I agree with resting players susceptible to injury at times during the second half of the season which we were able to do successfully during our golden period (2012-15). Unfortunately, we just don't have the depth. I hope this has significantly improved with the last draft crop.

It would be great to hear how loads are managed in the AFL. Surely there must be interviews/articles?

Jesus, we're in trouble if Conca is one of our 10 best players.
swap conca for walters then you got the best 10.

Going to suck with hamling and Alex Pearce out....

Means we are down to Logue, Cox and Duman as our only available 190 cm tall key defenders.

Any of you guys regretting getting rid of Sam Collins?

swap conca for walters then you got the best 10.

Going to suck with hamling and Alex Pearce out....

Means we are down to Logue, Cox and Duman as our only available 190 cm tall key defenders.

Any of you guys regretting getting rid of Sam Collins?

No. Seriously if we need Sam Collins we have a guy on our rookie list by the name of Tobe Watson who is IMO better. And Tobe is still currently a ways down the pecking order still.

No. Seriously if we need Sam Collins we have a guy on our rookie list by the name of Tobe Watson who is IMO better. And Tobe is still currently a ways down the pecking order still.

C’mon Ysaye, Collins is just ok but saying Watson is better is just crazy. Will be better... perhaps and it’s a big perhaps. Watson hasn’t even done much at WAFL level where Collins dominated it. Let alone comparing AFL accomplishments.

We better hope Cox and Logue stay fit! One of Hughes or Dunman will have to step up!

Watson and Oreilly be ready and in form as next in line.

Must admit I was disappointed seeing O'Reilly lining up in defence at the intraclub - assume because of the injury situation. Everything I have seen of him says he is a key forward. So is Dixon. Really hope we see both played forward at Peel.

Cox is the only tall on our list who I think could genuinely play forward or back. Logue possibly the only other. Hamling, Pearce, Watson all defenders. Tabs, Lobb, Hogan, Dixon, O'Reilly all forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back