Past #1: Jack Mahony - drafted w #34 in '17 ND - delisted end '23 - 40 NM games/17 NM goals - thx Mahns

Remove this Banner Ad

Lack of height or pace I think will be hard to overcome at this level

class might not be enough to make up for it

I suppose the “dream scenario” for Jack would be do develop along Sam Mitchell lines. Wishful think in the extreme, I know. However, he does seem to be able to find the ball in the middle. Only trouble is, there’s always an opposition player on his hammer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He stood out with the speed at which he makes good decisions, agility and speed at which he executes, whether that's drawing players with sleight of hand or hitting a target.

He also remains very balanced and with all of the above plus all important hair line reminds me of a slightly shorter Steele Sidebottom (1.80 cm) versus Mahony (1.77).

We could do with more footballers with his attributes and low centre of gravity not less.

He stood out with the speed at which he makes good decisions, agility and speed at which he executes, whether that's drawing players with sleight of hand or hitting a target.

He also remains very balanced and with all of the above plus all important hair line reminds me of a slightly shorter Steele Sidebottom (1.80 cm) versus Mahony (1.77).

We could do with more footballers with his attributes and low centre of gravity not less.

Steele is 184.

Mahony needs to build an elite tank to go with his smarts.

Steele is 184.

Mahony needs to build an elite tank to go with his smarts.
I'm 183 and I've chatted to Sidebottom and he's definitely shorter than me. Most sources say he's 180 and that seemed about right.

All first year players need to build their tanks unless they're exceptional like a Scott.

I’m impressed with the kid, he’s done more than I thought he would. Showed composure in traffic and has great vision. Skills were more composed than I was expecting, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 183 and I've chatted to Sidebottom and he's definitely shorter than me. Most sources say he's 180 and that seemed about right.

All first year players need to build their tanks unless they're exceptional like a Scott.

He is about the only player I am ever likely to have any actual "in the know" intel on. Jack's Dad is the business partner of a very good mate of mine. From what I have heard he naturally has a pretty good tank and can run at least 3 2km back to back time trials without his time increasing much at all. As an example, Matt Rowell would beat him on the first one but by the third Jack was winning comfortably.

Serious question...What does he have that Hrovat didn’t?

I wouldn’t have said Hrovat lacked urgency.

I’m hoping that in time Jack will have a little bit extra speed and a little bit more genuine crumbing ability/scoreboard impact.

good timing- at training yesterday Marley tried to take him on and got nailed big time, driven into the turf. The place erupted apparently. Hrovat wouldn't have done that.

good timing- at training yesterday Marley tried to take him on and got nailed big time, driven into the turf. The place erupted apparently. Hrovat wouldn't have done that.

Would those of us in the fantasy football community be wise to have Jack in our Rd1 teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back