News Non-Crows AFLW 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

point is they have created a national football comp for women with no strong grassroots comps. Then the AFL have increased the size of the comp with inferior players coming in. The good players are good but most of the players are very ordinary. I would expect a slight improvement into the 4th season. The AFL should reduce the amount of teams imho.
Not going to happen. Women/girls comps in every State are thriving. They won't go backwards now.

Obviously didn't watch Roxy Roux from Fremantle. She's going to be one of my favourite players, until we play Freo.

She is one of those who has been able to play through from juniors to now at the highest level without a gap during those development years. These are the players who are just now coming in to the system with leagues finally available for the girls from 13/14 through to u18s.

Her mum used to drive her on the 10 hour round trip just so she could attend training down in Perth. https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/f51c2dd520a96590b620277373631066 That young woman has an amazing long kick on her that some AFL players can't kick as far.

I saw some great talent on display, and while I think the 4 new teams is too soon, for the top talent pool - those players taken at the higher part of the draft last year had really good games on the weekend. Lucy McEvoy and Georgia Patrikios were well deserved rising stars from the first round.

Carlton's ball movement was a really good step forward for them and the game (reminiscent of some of our ball movement from last year). Liked the look of the speed of play the Saints are trying to bring to the game, and while West Coast were soundly beaten on the scoreboard, they were impressive for a 'first up team'.

point is they have created a national football comp for women with no strong grassroots comps. Then the AFL have increased the size of the comp with inferior players coming in. The good players are good but most of the players are very ordinary. I would expect a slight improvement into the 4th season. The AFL should reduce the amount of teams imho.
I originally believed this to be the better way but I am now convinced , given the feedback from females and the numbers of new participants , that the AFL got it right.

Whatever we think of the standard , it is an equal standard ie no one team ( apart from us at times) has shown themselves to be better skilled etc than the opposition.

But it is now an aspirational league and young players aspire to play AFLW

I originally believed this to be the better way but I am now convinced , given the feedback from females and the numbers of new participants , that the AFL got it right.

Whatever we think of the standard , it is an equal standard ie no one team ( apart from us at times) has shown themselves to be better skilled etc than the opposition.

But it is now an aspirational league and young players aspire to play AFLW

The AFL got it right with starting the national womens comp.

IMO they have added too many teams and it has thinned tbe talent pool too much. It is meant to be the elite level.

Although I think the AFL has too many teams as well, get back to 14 for an elite comp - talents not there for 18 teams.

The AFL got it right with starting the national womens comp.

IMO they have added too many teams and it has thinned tbe talent pool too much. It is meant to be the elite level.

Although I think the AFL has too many teams as well, get back to 14 for an elite comp - talents not there for 18 teams.
I agree with this, I feel the original 8 teams in AFLW were started well and at the right time but it should of been minimum of 5 years before they started adding more teams to the league. Unfortunately I think it was more about other clubs wanting a piece of a golden pie in terms of money, memberships and merch then it was about the development of Woman's football.

I do wonder how many new fans we've got that perhaps started watching the girls because it was accessible and family friendly bit weren't die hard fans that are now super keen on the whole club.

A Collingwood player is copping criticism for calling Tayla Harris "useless" at ground level in a post match interview.

Except that's 100% accurate

Dangerous to use that kind of language as it can be used as motivation to beat you next time. That said, it is pretty much correct. Reminds me of 2017 when Chelsea Randall played on her twice and completely shut her out of the game. Think she might have got a cheapy goal somewhere in there but other than that, just about nothing.

Last edited:
A Collingwood player is copping criticism for calling Tayla Harris "useless" at ground level in a post match interview.

Except that's 100% accurate
Only that's not what she said and as usual, the media take things out of context and use it as click bait.

She said that when you nullify her aerially she becomes useless.

The media are leaving out the first part but the actual quote IMO is fair
The media are deliberately leaving out the first part to create a click-bait title. It is a fair comment, but should not be reported as "player x says player y sucks", because that is NOT what she is saying at all.

* me

just watched the AFLW Rnd 2 wrap up on the afl website. Not one single mention of the Crows win. Not one single mention of Gold Coast's first ever win. They did say 'Richmond would be disappointed in not winning against a fellow expansion side'

Not even a token 10 sec footage for each game fmd
the only time Adelaide was even mentioned was at the end when the 'Power Rankings' had us 7th and then that we play Geelong next week

It's not hard to share the exposure, fmd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw the 2nd half of the Q-Clash and continue to like what the Gold Coast are doing, you can tell they brought over a lot of Brisbane intel and way of play, Howarth’s kick from the angle with the cross breeze to level scores was almost just as good as Greiser’s 50m bomb for the Saints for mine. A draw seemed fitting as it was interesting to see there’s almost a unique ‘Queensland way’ of style that’s developed that’s a bit different to other teams.

Watched a bit of yesterday’s other game & Nathan Burke’s coaching is awful, thought the way he’s set up this Bulldogs team in all matches has been woeful, they look to have no idea what to do when trying to get the ball forward and their defence is under so much pressure and put themselves under even more pressure by continuing on trying to over posses. That 2018 style that won them the flag with lots of short kick disposal has not worked for them at all.

The thing I've been really disappointed with this year is the depth of basically every team.

It's clear the competition wasn't ready for future expansion. About 1/3rd of every team's best 21 aren't up to AFLW standard. Lots of players in particular just cannot kick a football at all; terrible actions and no accuracy

West Coast are awful. Don't even look like scoring
On cue score one of the worst goals you’d ever see, agree with you that hardly any of their team look near the level especially skill/kicking wise, they recruited what 8 players from Fremantle as well? I think that’s also been a big issue not just that there’s lack of talent and depth I think some team’s recruitment of players has been dreadful.

North picking up from where we left off after our flag.

West Coast are awful. Don't even look like scoring

EDIT: Now the umpires have just straight up gifted West Coast a goal from a terrible, terrible decision

Definitely would have to be deliberate, AFLW don't want a losing side to go goalless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back