Discussion Struggling with Mental Health (Call Beyond Blue (1300 224 636), Lifeline (131 114))

Lifeline are confidential and anonymous

3. Anonymity
Where possible, we will allow you to interact with us anonymously or using a pseudonym. For example, if you seek to contact us through the Online Crisis Support Chat Service, the 13 11 14 telephone service, donating to Lifeline, the Text4Good service or our general enquiries and 5 feedback online form we will not ask for your name or seek identifying information unless we need it to adequately respond to your request or to assist you. However, please see below information collected via our IT systems when you contact Lifeline’s 13 11 14, Online Crisis Support Chat or Text4Good services. However, if we do identify you in the course of interacting with you anonymously (such as through your telephone number), we may use or disclose that information to protect you or others. For example we may provide your phone number to emergency services if we think there is a risk of harm to you or another person. This is described in more detail in paragraph 6.1. The choice of how much information you provide to us is yours and depends on the purposes for which you interact with Lifeline Australia. However, if, for example, you want to subscribe to our mailing list, make a donation, apply to become a volunteer, or apply for employment with us, we require certain information from you. Our information handling practices in relation to the personal information we collect are explained below...

4. Overview of Lifeline Australia's use of personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the purpose of carrying out the objectives of Lifeline Australia...

We use personal information to perform activities necessary to carry out the Lifeline Australia Objectives. These activities include: • providing crisis support and suicide prevention services through Lifeline Australia’s wholly owned subsidiary;

5. Collection and use of your personal information
5.1 What we collect
We try to only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, an activity we are undertaking to carry out a Lifeline Australia Objective. The kind of personal information we may collect, and its uses, are described below. Information collected in providing a Lifeline crisis support service We collect information that you provide to the Lifeline telephone crisis support service, or through contact with the Online Crisis Support Chat Service or the Text4Good service. We collect this information as a result of our role in providing:
• services directly to you through Lifeline Direct; or
• administration, IT support and infrastructure to Lifeline Australia Members. For example: 8
• a Telephone Crisis Supporter will create a simple text-based electronic record of the caller's situation as told to the Telephone Crisis Supporter. The record will include the call time and duration; originating region of the call; telephone number (if unblocked);
• the IT infrastructure that supports the Online Crisis Support Chat Service will collect and retain the web-chat between you and the Online Crisis Supporter, your device's IP address, and whether emergency services were engaged. Your name and contact details are not recorded in either of the above records unless you provide them to us.

6. Disclosure
6.1 General Disclosure Practices
We do not disclose personal information to another person or organisation (including police, emergency services and other government agencies) unless one of the following applies:
• the individual has consented to the disclosure of their personal information;
• the individual would reasonably expect, or has been told, that information of that kind is usually passed to those individuals, bodies or agencies and the disclosure: 13
o in the case of personal information (that is not sensitive information) relates to the primary purpose for which is was collected; or
o in the case of sensitive information is directly related to the primary purpose for which it was collected; or
o relates to collection from a third party outlined in section 5.2, that being a charitable or other likeminded organisation, including third party service providers who facilitate the sharing of information between such types of charitable or like-minded organisations; or
o Contractors and service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as mailing houses, printers, information technology service providers, data matching and data washing service providers, database contractors and telemarketing agencies.
• the disclosure is otherwise required or authorised by law;
• we reasonably believe that the disclosure will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody's life, health or safety (including your own) or serious threat to public health, property or public safety;
• the individual has made threats to harm third parties;
• the individual has made threats against Lifeline personnel;
• the individual repeatedly makes nuisance contact including calls, chats or emails; or
• the disclosure is to a Lifeline Australia service provider as described below...

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
If you have employee assistance (EAP) at work give them a call.
I've contacted Beyond Blue via their website. I received a response very promptly, which was good. Personally I still prefer the face to face contact with my psych or a counsellor but I think everyone's needs are different.

My work has an EAP and it is something I would highly recommend. It was through this that I first spoke to someone about my struggles with depression about 12 years ago. This lead to me getting help from my GP and ultimately a psychologist.
I used it a couple of times since. Work even arranged for a counsellor to come into our office recently as one of our employees and his family were involved in the NZ volcano tragedy.
I think it's good to reach out in whatever way you can.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
I've contacted Beyond Blue via their website. I received a response very promptly, which was good. Personally I still prefer the face to face contact with my psych or a counsellor but I think everyone's needs are different.

My work has an EAP and it is something I would highly recommend. It was through this that I first spoke to someone about my struggles with depression about 12 years ago. This lead to me getting help from my GP and ultimately a psychologist.
I used it a couple of times since. Work even arranged for a counsellor to come into our office recently as one of our employees and his family were involved in the NZ volcano tragedy.
I think it's good to reach out in whatever way you can.
Great to hear, well done. One of my staff had a sudden death of spouse over the holidays so I referred her to our EAP. It's paid for, it helps and it impacts on work so is relevant for the company.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever called Beyond Blue or Lifeline ? Asking for a friend ....... no it’s for me of course . Ive nearly rung them a few times but I’m unsure what sort of response you get .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I haven't called . However I was a volunteer with them and Crisis Line before they merged with Life line. They are well trained compassionate people.

what work did you do?

Sorry my iPad has stopped telling me about messages . I used to work in a printing company as a guillotine operator so lifting lots of heavy paper etc . Did that for 17 years until my back went .

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry my iPad has stopped telling me about messages . I used to work in a printing company as a guillotine operator so lifting lots of heavy paper etc . Did that for 17 years until my back went .

I'm sure you've tried all options. Let me/us know if we can help.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s great that this discussion exists. The more openness the better as there is still a general lack of understanding and sharing, unless with other people facing similar situations. Having been diagnosed in the last year and really being a bit of a mess daily for a while, it’s opened my eyes quite a lot to an issue I didn’t know much about. Started with a psych and now I’m some medication, which is helping.

if you don’t feel yourself, then consider that first step of seeing the doc.The topic would be a very common one for them.

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I posted on the AFL board as well in the same thread, but I feel like I need to talk about it. I had to say goodbye to my dog on Wednesday night. It was the most difficult thing I've ever faced. He was 15, and was diagnosed with lymphoma about 6-7 weeks ago. We knew he only had 1-3 months, but the way it happened was so sudden. He couldn't even get himself up in the afternoon, we knew it was time. He was booked in for later today but we realised it wouldn't be fair to make him suffer any longer. Selfishly I found it incredibly hard to accept.

I came home from work thinking everything was normal. 4 hours later and he was gone. The house feels so empty now without him around. All of his stuff is still there - his bed, bowls, toys, dog hair, the house still smells like him. I never pictured my life without him as he's been in the family since I was 9, but now everything is just a constant reminder that he's not here anymore.

I know it was the right thing to let him go and we were there with him right until the very end which was great to have the chance to say goodbye, knowing that many don't even get that. But I'm having such a hard time coping. It comes in waves where I can be fine, and then a certain sound or image will just trigger that emotion and it gets really tough. I can't even bring myself to go out into the backyard.

I posted on the AFL board as well in the same thread, but I feel like I need to talk about it. I had to say goodbye to my dog on Wednesday night. It was the most difficult thing I've ever faced. He was 15, and was diagnosed with lymphoma about 6-7 weeks ago. We knew he only had 1-3 months, but the way it happened was so sudden. He couldn't even get himself up in the afternoon, we knew it was time. He was booked in for later today but we realised it wouldn't be fair to make him suffer any longer. Selfishly I found it incredibly hard to accept.

I came home from work thinking everything was normal. 4 hours later and he was gone. The house feels so empty now without him around. All of his stuff is still there - his bed, bowls, toys, dog hair, the house still smells like him. I never pictured my life without him as he's been in the family since I was 9, but now everything is just a constant reminder that he's not here anymore.

I know it was the right thing to let him go and we were there with him right until the very end which was great to have the chance to say goodbye, knowing that many don't even get that. But I'm having such a hard time coping. It comes in waves where I can be fine, and then a certain sound or image will just trigger that emotion and it gets really tough. I can't even bring myself to go out into the backyard.
Took me 6 months before I got used to walking out in the backyard and not seeing our dogs happy face.
I don't miss picking up his poop off the lawn though.
It get easier in time but it certainly sucks in the beginning

That's tough, they really get to be part of your family. Grief for pets can be as bad or worse than for humans, they probably love you more than any human does so makes a huge hole in your life. It will get better even though it doesn't feel like it now.

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Good luck to everyone at the moment. There’s a lot going on and a lot of people might be finding it harder than normal. I’ve spoken to a couple of people I work with. We are fortunate in that our jobs are secure but its impossible not to be affected by what’s going on in some way.
Look after yourselves and your loved ones and do whatever it takes to stay safe and well.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Man! doesnt that s**t put some things into perspective!
So very sorry for what you have experienced with your son mate!
Thats a whole new level of anguish you wouldnt wish upon anyone!
Remarkably brave of you to share but more importantly pick yourself up from!

You have a hell of a lot to be proud of man! quite inspirational!
Very happy to hear your doing much better these days and have found yourself a new life!
Goes to show the incredible depth of the human spirit when it is willing!

Thanks for sharing brother. Stories like yours and BT's are incredibly deep and personal
Yet even after what you have both been through, to still be looking out for others and warning of the dangers
Says so much about your character! No wonder your a Saints fan!
Thank you for sharing man and may only joy and happiness follow you wherever you go!
Still battling on...Some days are a lot harder than others, but ultimately I'm still here!
2020 has been a nightmare so far but hoping my fortunes take a turn for the better. Have learnt a stack about myself this year amongst others as to who is here and who is not, in the end it comes down to oneself as to whether you can ride the storm! Not out of the woods by a long shot!
But one thing is certain I shall keep on fighting till I drop! Hang tough my friends!

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Still battling on...Some days are a lot harder than others, but ultimately I'm still here!
2020 has been a nightmare so far but hoping my fortunes take a turn for the better. Have learnt a stack about myself this year amongst others as to who is here and who is not, in the end it comes down to oneself as to whether you can ride the storm! Not out of the woods by a long shot!
But one thing is certain I shall keep on fighting till I drop! Hang tough my friends!
Hang in there bro. You’ve got a good heart.

I took a step back from posting. It all got a bit too weird for me on some of the other threads but I’ve genuinely missed the wonderful people I met on this thread.

I’ve been lucky with work, as we’re considered essential services but I’ve still been shaken by the response to covid19, especially the early days. Going shopping has been a f...ing nightmare- like stepping into a scene from an armageddon movie. Anxiety levels through the roof and it’s evil twin depression, lurking in the shadows. It’s been a big test and variations of the theme likely to continue for some but I can get through this. We can get through this.

Pm me any time my friend.

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
After 5-7 years struggling with my mental health it has been harrowing and such a struggle to realise I have been victim to a narcissistic Abusive wife . This is amazingly emasculating to even consider this situation . I was just living my life as a dad husband and provider all the whole becoming more frustrated with life and not knowing why .
i thought things but if I raised them I would be told I was wrong and losing it . Having been gaslighted , silent treatment and stonewalled I snapped and left my wife back in November and came one decision away from doing what Danny did out of remorse and shame .
I have now seen that I was pushed to that point and my wife would have explained it away that I was not well.
Months of psych visits and self awareness have me doing better but my head and heart will never be the same .
I focus on my 3 beautiful kids and try to remember that I am important to them and required .

i didn’t know humans were capable of such heinous treatment of the person who they apparently loved. 🤷‍♂️

After 5-7 years struggling with my mental health it has been harrowing and such a struggle to realise I have been victim to a narcissistic Abusive wife . This is amazingly emasculating to even consider this situation . I was just living my life as a dad husband and provider all the whole becoming more frustrated with life and not knowing why .
i thought things but if I raised them I would be told I was wrong and losing it . Having been gaslighted , silent treatment and stonewalled I snapped and left my wife back in November and came one decision away from doing what Danny did out of remorse and shame .
I have now seen that I was pushed to that point and my wife would have explained it away that I was not well.
Months of psych visits and self awareness have me doing better but my head and heart will never be the same .
I focus on my 3 beautiful kids and try to remember that I am important to them and required .

i didn’t know humans were capable of such heinous treatment of the person who they apparently loved. 🤷‍♂️

Jesus man, that sound horrific. I think we are built to look for the good in people so can get taken in by s**t people. I'm glad you got help and escaped the situation. That's extra hard with sharing kids with someone that you have reasons to hate. All I'd say is try to stay civil for your kids and maybe at some point you can try to see she must have serious issues that are possibly beyond her control to deal with the anger. It's not emasculating. It's pretty tough to stick through being abused for your kids sake. At least after all you've been dealing with, this crazy 2020 seems like a lightweight. Anyway, you know we're all here for you and jump on the PM if you want to chat if you're struggling.

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Good luck PT. Wishing you all the best. I hope you’ll now be able to see yourself in a better light. You are important to your kids but, more importantly, you are important full stop. You are valuable and have so much to offer as you are,
I hope the decisions you have made will be the beginning of some great things happening in your life from this point.
Take care.

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda

Thanks everyone —- GO SAINTS

after the latest Dan andrews interview today, i am beginning to feel lost, almost depressed and almost down. I haven't been listening to Dan, and didn't really today. I sortve knew what going to happen. another 2 weeks, and not much to do until end of October. I am only feeling isolated sometimes. i am lucky i can work from home. but still there is only so much Teams, Zoom, phones and spreadsheets that one can do without physically seeing people without it getting to me.

after the latest Dan andrews interview today, i am beginning to feel lost, almost depressed and almost down. I haven't been listening to Dan, and didn't really today. I sortve knew what going to happen. another 2 weeks, and not much to do until end of October. I am only feeling isolated sometimes. i am lucky i can work from home. but still there is only so much Teams, Zoom, phones and spreadsheets that one can do without physically seeing people without it getting to me.
Mate, isolation is the worst feeling. You're doing it, not only for your own good but for your state. It's hard with everything being online, but I hope you know in the next few months, our lives will slowly revert back to how it was, not the same but a much-needed change is occurring. This was all only possible for people like you, who listened to the guidelines and did what was required of you. On a positive note, saint's will most likely play finals and that will keep you on your toes through late September to October.

Yeah I knew it was coming but still hurts. I’m so over lock down but I guess we will just adjust again. It might be like Saints GF delayed gratification makes every taste sweeter in the end.

Apr 24, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah I knew it was coming but still hurts. I’m so over lock down but I guess we will just adjust again. It might be like Saints GF delayed gratification makes every taste sweeter in the end.
Yep. I live by myself but just try to focus on what I’ll be able to do when it’s over. In the mean time I’m enjoying whatever I can at the moment. I bumped into neighbour while she was taking the bins out and had a chat for a bit. I’ll take any opportunity for a conversation at the moment (my cat is the silent type).

Back