Toast Chris Mayne's a Legend. Re-signed until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever negative vibes might surround the club, people like Mayne are something of an antidote. Maybe it can be hoped that someone pushes him from the 22, but I'm glad to have the man around until that happens.

I’m a fan of his character

But a premature extension for mine. If he’s regularly playing seniors half way through 2021... the development of our youth would have been substandard.

So he’s essentially mature depth for 2021... in which case they could’ve rookied him and freed up the primary list spot

No doubt others will disagree though

Congratulations Mayne but ..........hmmmm! This could have been done at the end of the year with form warranting him another year. Nothing but respect for the way he has come back and reinvented his game and not doubt will play his role, either in the 22 or serviceable depth.

there maybe something else behind it as suggested so not disregarding that either.

Tom Browne reporting on the news that Pendles and Mayne extensions are around re-structuring the cap for 2020, and 2021, so they can pay out Beams this year and re-sign Moore and De Goey for next year

If it’s true about Chris signing on for extra year to help the cap, to sign others then why not. At worse he is depth, and can help the younger guys with his experience. At best he is still in the 22 till form, his or someone else knock him out.

Heard a theory.

He is on $500k a year for this year. They asked him to stay on the same but extended it a year (basically $250k x2).

Saves $250k a year for everyone else!

Seems a Mayne-y thing to do.

Not sure why you would do that, I know tax comes into play but your being asked to work another year for pretty much nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why you would do that, I know tax comes into play but your being asked to work another year for pretty much nothing.
Or you could argue that he wasn't going to get a contract next year with us and probably no other club so he at least stays in footy. He has earmarked coaching upon retirement so it might be better for his footy cv.

This is a signing I would have definitely waited until the end of the year to make. I reckon Mayne was struggling last year. I'd have thought it'd be sensible to see how he plays out this year before making the call.
There will be a few veterans let go or retire at the end of the season,
I didn’t think he struggled that last year, anyway valuable depth at least

Congrats to Mayney, a fair bounce back from the first year at the Pies. We the fans gave him a very hard time so full credit to him to turn that right around

If it's a move to help with the cap as well, then all the better

Good luck for the upcoming season Mayney!

Heard a theory.

He is on $500k a year for this year. They asked him to stay on the same but extended it a year (basically $250k x2).

So they asked him to play the entire year... for free?...

... and he agreed? What bs.

It looks like he's agreed to help out the club by moving some of his 2020 salary to 2021, but no one is smashing themselves for a year for nothing.

This is just more proof we don't have a salary cap problem :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So they asked him to play the entire year... for free?...

... and he agreed? What bs.

It looks like he's agreed to help out the club by moving some of his 2020 salary to 2021, but no one is smashing themselves for a year for nothing.

This is just more proof we don't have a salary cap problem :rolleyes:
More like some chinese whispers with this one. No doubt there has been some salary cap spreading done. More likely something like 650k for 2 years rather than 500k for 1 year though than the earlier suggestion. Gives the Pies space to pay out Beams in 2020, and opens up room for Moore and JDG in 2021 (with Beams off the books)

Heard a theory.

I reckon that's what they've done but I doubt they wouldn't sweeten the deal, even if by only a couple of hundred $K and/or even skewed it to next year if they face a big payout to Beams from this years TPP.

Mayne signed a good deal with his 4yr contract and after the 1st season it looked like a blowout but he turned it around and has been a solid dependable player for the Pies and pretty durable in his time here.

I myself don,t see a problem with giving him an extension for a further season at a reduced rate spread over the 2 yrs he has remaining he has always known how to conduct himself and a good team mate.

We have done a lot worse deals than re sign Chris Mayne and I think like others he will end up coaching and probably here at Collingwood and I have no problems with that either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back