vidwhal

Grade A Douchebag
Oct 4, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Knicks
Do we know what his schedule is re: knee?

He would need to play at least 16-17 games to finish runner up, wouldn't he?

I would be bloody stoked if we see that many games from him.

On a positive note, selection will be difficult when Pearce, Hamling and Wilson return. If Logue is fit - we will need to find a place for young.

Talls - Hamling - Pearce - Logue

Med/Smalls - Ryan - Wilson - Logue - Hughes - Young.

Mids/backs - Conca - Hill - ?

If we can get Hamling - Pearce - Logue - Ryan and Wilson fit for long periods we will have a shot against most teams.

If Henry plays well enough to finish top runner up and Serrong wins the award we will have a very potent and classy front half as well.
I predict Henry plays 5 - 6 in my mind

On SM-T835 using BigFooty.com mobile app

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
Yeah.... I tried that.

Trying to speak common sense with them is hard.

I swear some of them eagles supporters are sadistic. And they say they dont care about us.
I feel it's just the type of people who you find on BigFooty really. A lot more over the top than regular people. And I try to stay off that board but sometimes it's too tempting to see some of the crap some of them say.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I feel it's just the type of people who you find on BigFooty really. A lot more over the top than regular people. And I try to stay off that board but sometimes it's too tempting to see some of the crap some of them say.
They are a strange lot.

Its the stupid stuff that they post about us that concerns me. They want Our team to die a slow, painful, cruel and bloody death lol

Aug 22, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
If we get any semblance of a KPP spine back this year then we may nail 10th. I’m looking for any positive signs of improvement from our young squad mainly and not holding any major expectations. Opportunity for those who deserve it, growth for those who seek it and an underlying reinforcement of our Fremantle Dockers brand of unrelenting pressure football that we haven’t seen consistently for a few years. Go you purple juggernauts.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Usually youngest list equals bottom 6.

Our depth is the best in 4 years.

What we lack is top end talent which will be filled in a few year

Usually players have a break out year in their 4th. High draft that are midfielders can break in their 3rd year

Logue, Cox, Ryan*, Darcy, Duiman 4th year

Cerra, Brayshaw 3rd year
7-10 wins with a percentage of 90%.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Geez anyone hear Barlow say he thought we would get the spoon? 😳

Only heard the comment and not the background, but the comment was said without spite and that’s all you ask of the media.
Micky is now paid to have an opinion and he is concerned with how we are likely to go - so am I!!
I might have a listen to Micky and Spur next Saturday at 3pm on pr

Geez anyone hear Barlow say he thought we would get the spoon? 😳
He said that he could see us getting the spoon, which is a slightly different statement.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
No Pearce, Mundy, Hogan, Hamling, Wilson.
two young buck rucks. A midfield with Fyfe and Walters then a massive drop off in quality/experience.
Lost Brad Hill and Langdon. Replacements should be ok but are new
Stephen Hill an unknown quantity.

I think we’ve drafted reasonably well, but I tell ya a couple more injuries to key players and we are in massive trouble.

A spoon is not out of the question.

we are very young and need some massive improvement from the likes of Brayshaw etc, Acres and Aish to plug the gaps and some luck.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
A bad season is one thing, but a bad season followed by forking out for and the symbolic delivery of multiple cartons (including the walk of shame), across a wide spread of locations in Perth is even worse. You'd think I would have learned by now.
Plus the fact that west coast tossers demand cartons of chardonnay :)

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
No Pearce, Mundy, Hogan, Hamling, Wilson.
two young buck rucks. A midfield with Fyfe and Walters then a massive drop off in quality/experience.
Lost Brad Hill and Langdon. Replacements should be ok but are new
Stephen Hill an unknown quantity.

I think we’ve drafted reasonably well, but I tell ya a couple more injuries to key players and we are in massive trouble.

A spoon is not out of the question.

we are very young and need some massive improvement from the likes of Brayshaw etc, Acres and Aish to plug the gaps and some luck.

I can see all that - but we had all that and worse (minus Hill / langdon leaving - Aish/Acres makes it about even imo) last season and the expectations were of a 10 win plus season.

Surely that same midfield should be improved with Brayshaw and Cerra around 50 games this season and Tucker coming into his prime?

Stephen Hill has been an unknown quantity for 3 seasons sadly... If we can get 15 plus games from him we get an upgrade around the ground in a big way.

Are people arguing that we overachieved last season given the huge number of injuries and an even younger midfield?

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can see all that - but we had all that and worse (minus Hill / langdon leaving - Aish/Acres makes it about even imo) last season and the expectations were of a 10 win plus season.

Surely that same midfield should be improved with Brayshaw and Cerra around 50 games this season and Tucker coming into his prime?

Stephen Hill has been an unknown quantity for 3 seasons sadly... If we can get 15 plus games from him we get an upgrade around the ground in a big way.

Are people arguing that we overachieved last season given the huge number of injuries and an even younger midfield?
I think Aish and Acres is someway off Hill and Langdon although Acres seems like one of those players that could go bang and make me eat my words - lets hope so.

I fully expect Andy to be distinctly better than the last two years. No idea on Cerra. Think the pre season will give us an idea. Tucker I have NFI whether he can get much better or not.

Shill can cancel out the loss of Billy if he is at or near his best.

We did about right in the first half of 2019 (possibly a little overs). We were dreadful in the 2nd half after all the KPPs got injured and was probably about right, maybe a tad under

The cool thing with us having so many talented young players is that we don't know when (or if) they will take that step up. Could have 5 players go from plodder to good over the preseason and suddenly it looks a lot better. However, since we can't predict that remotely it is probably to err conservative and assume none will and wait to be surprised by the few that do rather than building up 0 gamers to try and validate lofty predictions.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I agree with a lot of your reasoning. I think a fit Stephen Hill, Acres and Aish makes up for the loss of BHill and Langdon (I value Ed more highly than many on here), I think Tucker can provide more, and Andy will provide more. I feel the loss of Hamling with Moose also unavailable for a few games is big and we may struggle in defence the first few weeks. If we get something like our best side on the park in the second half of the season I will be disappointed if we don't look like a mid table team over that period.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I agree with a lot of your reasoning. I think a fit Stephen Hill, Acres and Aish makes up for the loss of BHill and Langdon (I value Ed more highly than many on here), I think Tucker can provide more, and Andy will provide more. I feel the loss of Hamling with Moose also unavailable for a few games is big and we may struggle in defence the first few weeks. If we get something like our best side on the park in the second half of the season I will be disappointed if we don't look like a mid table team over that period.

This is my thinking - I just dont see the bottom two teams as a logical thought process.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
we looked like sh5t once our talls went down last year, and as a result, we won 2 games after R13. It's only February and half of them are already down and when has Tabs lasted a full season.

Really don't understand the basis for the positivity aside from general - I want my team to win and it's the preseason so we haven't lost a game yet.

Personally I'm going to enjoy the girls' first premiership because the men are going to have a tough year.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Back at the start of 2019, my concern was the number of players with 50+ games for Freo, available on our list.
I predicted that we would have about 9 (+/- 2) players for the start of the 2020 season.
Currently, we now have just 10 on our list and it is unlikely that more than 7 of those will be available for selection in Round 1 (ie. Fyfe, Walters, Hughes, Tucker, Blakely, Taberner & Hill).
For that main reason, I think Freo will struggle in the early rounds of 2020 (plus learning the game plan of a new coach).
But, by the end of the 2020 season, Freo could possibly have up to 17 x 50+ club game players available on our list (although highly unlikely when injuries and individual form is allowed for).
So, I hope if Freo can hold their nerve after what could be a poor start to 2020, there should be some dramatic improvement shown during the second half of the year, as the list starts maturing out of a rebuild phase.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just wanna go record to state the obvious and say we’ll start well before fading late as the season takes its toll on the kids.
I'm not convinced that pattern isn't a Ross thing. Happened to us so many times while Ross was here and it doesn't seem to happen as often to other teams.

I'm optimistic we will be more consistent all year, even if the highs aren't as high.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not convinced that pattern isn't a Ross thing. Happened to us so many times while Ross was here and it doesn't seem to happen as often to other teams.

I'm optimistic we will be more consistent all year, even if the highs aren't as high.

There wasn't really an obvious pattern.
This is another Lyon myth where people's perception becomes their reality. If you look at the actual stats:

In Lyon's 8 seasons, Freo went worst in the second half of the home and away season in four of them (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019).
Total wins for the first 11 games was 54.5% (48wins from 88) vs 50.5% (44wins from 87) for the second half (that includes the two R23, 2013 & 2015 B-Team losses ... without those it is 51.5%).
This myth was already spoken of as absolute truth prior to the 2019 season at which stage, if you allow for the two B-Team losses, Lyon's win percentage was about the same in the first 11 games as the second 11 games of the Home and Away season (42wins from 77 vs 41 from 75).

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Furthermore, in Lyon's 5 seasons 2007-2011 at SK, he had 31 wins from 55 games in the first half of the Home & Away Season vs 39 from 55 in the second half. SK had a worse 2nd half in two of those 5 seasons.

Back