Tool - FEAR INOCULUM

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind Author & Punisher, but I do think it was maybe a bit loud, especially if you weren't carrying earplugs (luckily I was). I got to meet the guy behind the project - super nice chap. Thing that goes unmissed sometimes is that his rig for making the music is home made, and pretty unique. It may not be music for everyone, but I'd hope that many could at least appreciate some of the artistry and ingenuity that's gone into it.

I don't mind Author & Punisher, but I do think it was maybe a bit loud, especially if you weren't carrying earplugs (luckily I was). I got to meet the guy behind the project - super nice chap. Thing that goes unmissed sometimes is that his rig for making the music is home made, and pretty unique. It may not be music for everyone, but I'd hope that many could at least appreciate some of the artistry and ingenuity that's gone into it.

Yeah I saw the music video for one of his tunes, looked interesting. I missed the whole act actually, wasn't super keen to be perfectly honest.

Not completely random, but I run a Tool fansite and have a few friends able to setup a guest pass for me.
You the same Hellboy that was a member of TMOC forum before it shutdown?

I'd say so - I was a member of that forum back in the day
Thought as much.

You may remember the poster on that forum who chaperoned a female who Maynard had been communicating with prior to the 2004(?)tour and how he asked her back to his motel room. they talked all night and slept in separate rooms from memory.

The one part I always remember though was that this guy who was backstage at both the Melbourne and Sydney became aware that as soon as the members of tool got offstage they all went their separate ways and it was quite clear that this was purely business and not a sniff of pleasure between then anymore.

makes sense of why it took them however many years to get on the same page and record an album, and it’s always a thought I have when considering the lifespan of a band and how they function togehter.

The one part I always remember though was that this guy who was backstage at both the Melbourne and Sydney became aware that as soon as the members of tool got offstage they all went their separate ways and it was quite clear that this was purely business and not a sniff of pleasure between then anymore.

Maynard is certainly nowhere to be seen back stage. I had it mentioned to me that it's mostly because he can't eat prior to the show, and prefers to eat something a bit better than just venue food. I have no doubt there's some element of wanting to avoid the attention as well.

The other three - Danny & Justin seem to be good buddies, and pretty much shared the facilities they were assigned to. Adam was frequently in and out talking to the other guys, though it appeared he was tighter with his own group of friends than fellow Tool members. If it was "just business" between the other three then there was no sign of this whatsoever. I can only really speak for the current tour though - perhaps in days gone past relationships were a bit more tense.

Maynard is certainly nowhere to be seen back stage. I had it mentioned to me that it's mostly because he can't eat prior to the show, and prefers to eat something a bit better than just venue food. I have no doubt there's some element of wanting to avoid the attention as well.

The other three - Danny & Justin seem to be good buddies, and pretty much shared the facilities they were assigned to. Adam was frequently in and out talking to the other guys, though it appeared he was tighter with his own group of friends than fellow Tool members. If it was "just business" between the other three then there was no sign of this whatsoever. I can only really speak for the current tour though - perhaps in days gone past relationships were a bit more tense.
I guess we wait to see if they release another album in the next decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeeze anyone still got FI on near total rotation? 10kdays didn't grab me like this. These songs just resonate with me and keep me coming back. Pneuma up there for me one of my favourite ever Tool tracks I think.

Agreed with all of that, not as many 10k tracks grabbed me like this one, Culling Voices is the only one I don’t really rate on this one.

Pneuma inspired me to learn it on guitar straight away basically, not many Tool songs do that, yeah it hasn’t left my head since I first heard it.

From what I've heard of FI, nothing has hooked me in like Vicarious or even The Pot

Kinda meanders along with no real payoff

Pretty disgusting output for 20 years of songwriting for guys of the calibre of Tool

Jeeze anyone still got FI on near total rotation? 10kdays didn't grab me like this. These songs just resonate with me and keep me coming back. Pneuma up there for me one of my favourite ever Tool tracks I think.

The way he changes how hard he hits the drums to create the rhythms is insane

Last edited:
Yep, easily better than 10,000 Days I reckon. A long way from "disgusting output" - like all Tool albums it takes some time to settle.

10,000 Days had some great tracks but a bit of filler in there, Fear Inoculum is as consistent an album as they've done. Ambitious too with some ridiculous song lengths, in this non-album world we're in they have balls that's for sure.

10,000 Days had some great tracks but a bit of filler in there, Fear Inoculum is as consistent an album as they've done. Ambitious too with some ridiculous song lengths, in this non-album world we're in they have balls that's for sure.
Sure does - I love 10k Days really, and while it has some great tracks, it's not as cohesive as Fear Inoculum. I reckon for the most part the Fear Inoculum tracks come off much better live than anything of 10k Days, with perhaps the exception of Jambi.

February feels like such a long time ago now - but that tour really was incredible, and very glad we got to witness it before these current limitations.

Last edited:
Sure does - I love 10k Days really, and while it has some great tracks, it's not as cohesive at Fear Inoculum. I reckon for the most part the Fear Inoculum tracks come off much better live than anything of 10k Days, with perhaps the exception of Jambi.

February feels like such a long time ago now - but that tour really was incredible, and very glad we go to witness it before these current limitations.
I was thinking just the other week, Tool live was probably the last time I and plenty of others actually went out and did something.
Least went out with a bang

Album is improving like a fine wine for me. Rate highly.
Just discovered this thread, reading through the initial opinions is pretty funny.

I think as all tool fans know, it takes several intense listens and time to percolate.

I remember glossing over fear inoculum several times and then something clicked. Now I hold it equal to all the others (I love them all equally)

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back