When will WA get an NRL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent news here.

Participation numbers in Western Australia grew a remarkable 16.7% in 2018, more than four times the national average of 3.5%, and Sackson said there had been significant growth last year.

"We’re up around 4000 participants now," he said. "Back in the days of the Reds there was over 10,000 registered players in Western Australia but with the exit of the Reds from the landscape here back around 2010 we were below 2,000 in registration numbers.

"We are shaping up now I believe for another year of genuine growth here."

heres hoping the nrl go for the expansion model rather than the consolidation of its existing markets.

a team here would be a ratings bonanza as it is a different time zone altogether. double friday and saturday night headers can take place.

will def get a membership if were successful.

I reckon we are a long way from a WA team. I reckon they'll introduce another VIC team before WA.

I think a WA team has more merit, but I think there's other areas they will try to engage first.

It's also significant for League to move off the eastern seaboard where all it's bread is buttered. I'm not sure it's a risk someone is willing to put their neck out for.

No.
It’s a Sydney based game, why would they want another Vic side?
If you want to use that arguemnt why would they want a WA based side?

Melbourne is the golden goose market of Australian sports. It is/will be the most populated city, has the infrastructure for sporting venues state wide, has potential rivalry growth with the Storm. The eastern seaboard is also probably seen as more familiar and probably a "safer" move than venturing West.

In similar strategies sports codes have always tried to double up in the populated states of NSW and VIC. We have seen it with basketball, cricket, soccer already. I have no doubt at all VIC will have a second NRL team one day. It remains to be seen whether it is before or after WA.

I don't necessarily agree, but I could see it happening.

highly doubt melbourne will get another team before a wa team. it goes simply with tv rights. a wa team will be a tv rights bonanza another game in another time zone each 2nd week will provide the nrl far more exposure than another victorian team. the nrl i think have learnt consolidating existing markets isnt the way to grow. fact is the force being kicked out has effectively provided the nrl with a perfect opportunity to take over.

and we all know union is literally about to fall apart. one super rugby falls over when the saffers leave.

highly doubt melbourne will get another team before a wa team. it goes simply with tv rights. a wa team will be a tv rights bonanza another game in another time zone each 2nd week will provide the nrl far more exposure than another victorian team. the nrl i think have learnt consolidating existing markets isnt the way to grow. fact is the force being kicked out has effectively provided the nrl with a perfect opportunity to take over.

and we all know union is literally about to fall apart. one super rugby falls over when the saffers leave.
WA get behind their teams, I think they would follow this team too provided the Eagles/Dockers hype allows for the state to also get around another code during footy season. WA people would be able to advise on this better than me but the Wildcats, Glory and Scorchers are all strong, successful, supported teams.

The time zone opens up opportunity too, double/tripple/quadripple games due to the early/late options available with WA where you could do a 7/730 local game streaming at 9pm AEST.

I see the benefit in all this, but Im just not sure the league is ready go West.
If I had to guess the next expansion team it would be a large area in QLD like Mackay/Rockhampton or even a Sunshine Coast/Noosa area based team.

Is Tassie an option for the NRL? Tassie are desperate for a winter sport team imo and there might be some love gained for being first to market there. I do know that Tassie is an Aussie rules first state though.

WA get behind their teams, I think they would follow this team too provided the Eagles/Dockers hype allows for the state to also get around another code during footy season. WA people would be able to advise on this better than me but the Wildcats, Glory and Scorchers are all strong, successful, supported teams.

The time zone opens up opportunity too, double/tripple/quadripple games due to the early/late options available with WA where you could do a 7/730 local game streaming at 9pm AEST.

I see the benefit in all this, but Im just not sure the league is ready go West.
If I had to guess the next expansion team it would be a large area in QLD like Mackay/Rockhampton or even a Sunshine Coast/Noosa area based team.

Is Tassie an option for the NRL? Tassie are desperate for a winter sport team imo and there might be some love gained for being first to market there. I do know that Tassie is an Aussie rules first state though.

You won’t see CQ now the Cowboys have tgat new stadium.
I can see a Brisbane North / Caboolture / Sunshine Coast side but Ipswich/ West Brisbsne would impact on some of GC Titans area.

Tassie would be s million miles behind WA.

If the league expands in the next 5years I would suggest where it would be, WA and either Brisbane North or Wellington

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're a really long way away from this happening, for a couple of reasons. 1 is that there hasn't been any chatter leading to a plan for it to happen, 2 is that the NRL doesn't believe anyone wants to live there and there isn't anything close to a local foothold to build upon.

I kind of believe in the Reds, but it's going to take at least 3-5 years from the point that the NRL decides they want to do it, and then announce it, for it to be successful.

The other issue is that it's not a fait accompli even if they want 2 more teams - Brisbane 2, Central Coast, NZ 2 and Perth would all be vying for 2 spots.

WA is ripe after the Unions fu** up with not dumping ACT, they need a team now if not years ago.

I don't really care about Union at all. But having lived in Canberra for a few years a little while ago, this was not a * up. The Brumbies have a genuine base in Canberra, and there are players there to draw upon which isn't the case in Perth.

If the Force were to survive in Super Rugby it had to be at the expense of the Rebels, not at the expense of a heartland team like the Brumbies.

Well, this is done unfortunately. It will be 10-20 yers before the NRL give expansion another thought.

Unless one of the Sydney sides falls flat and can get the WA Government (WA side) to approve a few home games at their old ground ie. WA Bulldogs play a few games at either Parra or Belmore?

"We’re up around 4000 participants now," he said. "Back in the days of the Reds there was over 10,000 registered players in Western Australia"

Well that alone says it all. Rugby league is well behind where it was with the Reds and they failed.

Selective quoting to suit your agenda.

Travel costs were the catalyst for the demise of the Reds as the club had to pay for the flights and accommodation of rival teams playing in Perth, as well as their own expenses for away games.

On the field, the Reds had a strong team that included Kearns, Howe, Mark and Matt Geyer, Brad Mackay, Potter, Dale Fritz, Matt Rodwell, Chris Ryan and Matt Fuller, and they got the club off to a great start.

After beating the Rabbitohs 19-14 in the Tooheys Challenge on February 11, 1995 and losing 18-4 to Cronulla at Inverell a week later, the Reds drew 24,932 fans to the WACA to watch them beat St George 28-16 in their first ARL premiership match.

In their first season, the Reds averaged home crowds of 13,390 and won 11 of their 22 matches to finish just two points out of the finals but two years later the club was out of business.

"They reason it didn’t work is that the rules of the game were changed," Mulholland said. "We had to fly 25 people over to play us and accommodate them, and then we had to fly ourselves the next week to play away.

"We were set up with only one team and all of sudden they changed to rules so we had to have two teams [first and reserve grade].

The fallout from the Super League war impacted on attendances and support for the game in Perth, which was compounded heavily by the closure of the Reds.

More like sabotage than failure.

Not like posting a 16.7% increase on small numbers when it's 60% down on big numbers to suit your agenda.

Travel costs were the catalyst for the demise of the Reds as the club had to pay for the flights and accommodation of rival teams playing in Perth, as well as their own expenses for away games.

On the field, the Reds had a strong team that included Kearns, Howe, Mark and Matt Geyer, Brad Mackay, Potter, Dale Fritz, Matt Rodwell, Chris Ryan and Matt Fuller, and they got the club off to a great start.

After beating the Rabbitohs 19-14 in the Tooheys Challenge on February 11, 1995 and losing 18-4 to Cronulla at Inverell a week later, the Reds drew 24,932 fans to the WACA to watch them beat St George 28-16 in their first ARL premiership match.

In their first season, the Reds averaged home crowds of 13,390 and won 11 of their 22 matches to finish just two points out of the finals but two years later the club was out of business.

"They reason it didn’t work is that the rules of the game were changed," Mulholland said. "We had to fly 25 people over to play us and accommodate them, and then we had to fly ourselves the next week to play away.

"We were set up with only one team and all of sudden they changed to rules so we had to have two teams [first and reserve grade].

The fallout from the Super League war impacted on attendances and support for the game in Perth, which was compounded heavily by the closure of the Reds.

More like sabotage than failure.

Reds failed twice so are you saying the Reds were sabotaged twice?

Well there's no need for sabotage if registrations are 60% down.

They never failed twice and your last sentence is nothing more than selective quoting (again) to suit your anti Rugby league agenda.

your last sentence is nothing more than selective quoting

Yes, I selected an important bit of your quote.
Don't you think posting a 16.7% increase on small numbers when it's 60% down on big numbers is
portraying a misleading statement on the situation in W.A.?
My "agenda" is to analyse and provide analysis.
The Perth Reds and the Western Reds failed. It doesn't concern me exactly why NRL failed in W.A.
but why would an entity set up an entity only to sabotage it.

Don't you think posting a 16.7% increase on small numbers when it's 60% down on big numbers is
portraying a misleading statement on the situation in W.A.?

Not at all. The growth was in 2018 and anticipated to be more growth in 2019. Pretty good result I thought and worth posting.

You just chose to manipulate the numbers to suit your own agenda which was always going to be in the negative.

My "agenda" is to analyse and provide analysis.

Your agenda has always been anti Rugby league.

The Perth Reds and the Western Reds.

Are one and the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back