State of Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Can somebody please tell me why Lachie Weller has TAS on the back of his jumper and Charlie Cameron has WA on the back of his? Weller moved from Tassie to QLD at the age of 15 so fair enough he's considered Tasmanian but why is Cameron considered West Australian when he lived in QLD for the first 17 years of his life and first started playing footy while living in Brisbane? Seems like a contradiction to have Weller considered Tasmanian and not have Cameron considered a Queenslander. Tom Hawkins is another inconsistency given he lived in NSW until 15 when he moved to Melbourne but is out there with NSW on his back and played for Vic Metro at the U18 national championships. Point is - Charlie Cameron should really have QLD on his back unless there's some criteria I'm not aware of?

Who knows how they did it. Back in the day I’m pretty sure qualification was whatever state you lived in for the majority of the time as a teenager (13yo - 18yo).

Given tonight was just an exhibition, the players probably just chose the states themselves.

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
It’s a good concept as you see the best players go head to head. I also reevaluated Walters and Mills as a result of this match. Good players who went up in my estimation in terms of their foot skills.

Concept is good.
you could do a two game series.
Start with
Game 1- Vic vs WA 1 vs 2
&
Game 2- SA vs Allies (NSW/Qld/tas/ACT/NT)
3 vs 4

Winner game 1 wins the tournament.
Winner game 2 gets to challenge the following year in game 1.
Loser game 1 goes to game 2 the following year.

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
Origin at this time every year.

VIC vs WA
SA vs Indigenous All-Stars

Winners play each other the following year (champion game) and losers against each other. The indigenous players can choose who they represent.

If necessary, NSW, QLD, Tas and NT can play a similar format amongst themselves. Perhaps the weekend before so those who play in the Indigenous All-Stars team can play for their State and strengthen the teams.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
It’s a good concept as you see the best players go head to head. I also reevaluated Walters and Mills as a result of this match. Good players who went up in my estimation in terms of their foot skills.

Concept is good.
you could do a two game series.
Start with
Game 1- Vic vs WA 1 vs 2
&
Game 2- SA vs Allies (NSW/Qld/tas/ACT/NT)
3 vs 4

Winner game 1 wins the tournament.
Winner game 2 gets to challenge the following year in game 1.
Loser game 1 goes to game 2 the following year.

Bit rough on the “Allies” I think. Really no reason why you can’t have six teams. Three games over a weekend works.

Vic, NSW/ACT, Tas, SA, WA, Qld/NT

On theoretical current rankings (from here https://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=30128)

Game 1: Vic vs WA
Game 2: SA vs NSW/ACT
Game 3: Tas vs QLD/NT

Next tournament in two or three years

Winner 1 vs Winner 2
Loser 1 vs Winner 3
Loser 2 vs Loser 3

And on it goes

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
Guys like Lobb, Ryan, J Cripps, Hamling, Matera, possibly Rich. You'd have to show me your side for me to pick the bottom 6 but those are some players some people have put in the WA 22.

VIC aren't even playing their best side tonight, so I can't use it as an example. There are guys like Gawn, Stewart, Grimes, De Goey who I would play that push others out so I'd need to put together my own VIC side to compare.

they have been replaying the 1986 state of origin on fox footy.
Good match... WA win it with some .. what you would call lesser names such as Wayne Blackwell etc.

vics had in their team Terry Daniher... he was from NSW. A bit odd to get that assistance.

devil demon

Senior List
Sep 27, 2005
Earth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can somebody please tell me why Lachie Weller has TAS on the back of his jumper and Charlie Cameron has WA on the back of his? Weller moved from Tassie to QLD at the age of 15 so fair enough he's considered Tasmanian but why is Cameron considered West Australian when he lived in QLD for the first 17 years of his life and first started playing footy while living in Brisbane? Seems like a contradiction to have Weller considered Tasmanian and not have Cameron considered a Queenslander. Tom Hawkins is another inconsistency given he lived in NSW until 15 when he moved to Melbourne but is out there with NSW on his back and played for Vic Metro at the U18 national championships. Point is - Charlie Cameron should really have QLD on his back unless there's some criteria I'm not aware of?
Pretty sure they did it by place of birth rather than where they grew up playing football. The age had an article about where Eddie Betts should've played

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
Bit rough on the “Allies” I think. Really no reason why you can’t have six teams. Three games over a weekend works.

Vic, NSW/ACT, Tas, SA, WA, Qld/NT

On theoretical current rankings (from here https://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=30128)

Game 1: Vic vs WA
Game 2: SA vs NSW/ACT
Game 3: Tas vs QLD/NT

Next tournament in two or three years

Winner 1 vs Winner 2
Loser 1 vs Winner 3
Loser 2 vs Loser 3

And on it goes
Yeah in theory I would prefer this in a way, but the aim for SA, WA, NSW and QLD is to kick a Vic.
NSW and Qld at this stage would need to combine to kick a Vic. Tasy is too small a population to have a stand alone team.

Boozeroo

Disgruntled Board member
Mar 22, 2007
Mayor of Swamp City
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chudleigh Thirds
Yeah in theory I would prefer this in a way, but the aim for SA, WA, NSW and QLD is to kick a Vic.
NSW and Qld at this stage would need to combine to kick a Vic. Tasy is too small a population to have a stand alone team.
Beat Vic's in 1991. Stick your too small up your arse. If it wasn't for Tasmanians Victoria would be a marshy mosquito ridden backwater.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
hahahaha the salt of oppo fans that dusty got bog is brilliant, face it we rule the afl now. best team, coach, captain and player. let that sink in

Dusty had a good game but wasn't bog imo Papley should have got the medal kicked 5 goals.

In the end he got the medal because he's Dustin Martin

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Dusty was 9's for the Brownlow earlier. It's a better investment than the ASX.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
they have been replaying the 1986 state of origin on fox footy.
Good match... WA win it with some .. what you would call lesser names such as Wayne Blackwell etc.

vics had in their team Terry Daniher... he was from NSW. A bit odd to get that assistance.
Okay? I wasn't born yet.

hutstar

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2003
St Petersburg FL
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The Big V is the best jumper in the league, and it's not even a close contest.
I'm from NSW, and I've always thought the WA had the best state uniform, though Vic good also. NSW always had a good one too (and Tassie - I guess I like most of them).

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Origin at this time every year.

VIC vs WA
SA vs Indigenous All-Stars

Winners play each other the following year (champion game) and losers against each other. The indigenous players can choose who they represent.

If necessary, NSW, QLD, Tas and NT can play a similar format amongst themselves. Perhaps the weekend before so those who play in the Indigenous All-Stars team can play for their State and strengthen the teams.
Huh? Why do SA get an easy ride into this? You full of it. They are not more worthy than News South Wales.
They'd beat you if they played you this weekend.
Vic v WA first division
SA v NSW/ACT with winner going up next division the following year.

Good job by players last night, whilst it didn’t feel Origin I guess unless you a Victorian it was great to see the attacking Harlem globe trotter feel to it.

I still find it frustrating that everything is about Victoria so would like SA and WA to return and feel it’s a genuine missing ingredient on afl calendar or maybe they could setup a USA style all stars game that travels each year to different states to help local bush/fire charities.

Would be great if they did Aboriginal All-Stars vs previous year premiers as Aboriginal players should be apart of the State teams for the Origin games imo.

Oct 8, 2004
Woodside
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Eagles(SANFL)
Huh? Why do SA get an easy ride into this? You full of it. They are not more worthy than News South Wales.
They'd beat you if they played you this weekend.
Vic v WA first division
SA v NSW/ACT with winner going up next division the following year.

There’s only 5 football states/territories and NSW aren’t one of them. Unfortunately NT and Tas have been disregarded by the AFL due to population/location.

Having said that -I’d happily see SA play NSW next year for the opportunity to play WA or Vic the year after.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
There’s only 5 football states/territories and NSW aren’t one of them.
NSW have a team. They have history and played before and would likely be better than South Australia team in this period.
If NSW/ACT want to play to represent together I am ok with that as do it in under 18's too.

South Australia not worthy enough to play Big V until they earn it.
WA deserve to have a crack against our Big V team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back