Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Remove this Banner Ad

No, because his mother was a Norwegian living in Norway (died there 1950). Information from a family member. His biological father was living in the USA and his step-father was living in Norway.
I have some very good friends who live in Christiansand, I will ask them to do a local follow up.

No, because his mother was a Norwegian living in Norway (died there 1950). Information from a family member. His biological father was living in the USA and his step-father was living in Norway.
Byron, a question, could the mother have included him on the resident's names for the census?

Byron, do you have copies of the documents that I can pass on to my Norwegian friends?

Byron, do you have copies of the documents that I can pass on to my Norwegian friends?

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/AutoSearch.asp?O=I&Number=31709342

//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e57a866d352a/ShowImage.pdf

e196b7917411a715cc32bea8f328ace2.jpg
42867ddfb5a6841a6be07b98bd51dab8.jpg

Last edited:
Danish archives (no subscription required but only searchable by address)

There are quite a few genealogical sites, such as My Heritage, offering search of these by name, however subscription is required)

Stop press: As of a few hours ago, The Danish archives indexing project has begun to make the census archives searchable by individual. They've only got as far as 1930 though

Here is the link to bookmark >

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's a shame that the Australian Officer who dealt with his application to stay in Australia didn't keep a copy of the registered mail envelope, nir has the NAA copied all the pages of his handwritten application to stay in Australia
a1f854b9c7f3a73ef38ed7e8f63d2164.jpg
cb88ff1d90e3743bd0c4cd925333903a.jpg
fb6cec5f9db7f1f459c7863df4f1a257.jpg
ef3418b6a574dfa65a3e0f6c295bbb67.jpg
beb6497bf717e7beb62058df14d8bc6c.jpg

Danish archives (no subscription required but only searchable by address)

There are quite a few genealogical sites, such as My Heritage, offering search of these by name, however subscription is required)

Stop press: As of a few hours ago, The Danish archives indexing project has begun to make the census archives searchable by individual. They've only got as far as 1930 though

Here is the link to bookmark >

I thought it was Norwegian archives?

I thought it was Norwegian archives?
Nope. It was the Denmark Census were he shows up after he was supposed to of died on the way to Norway. That's not unreasonable if he did not die as claimed, as he was a seaman and Norway to Denmark is a busy sea route. Besides which, his ship was captured, so it was probably sent to Denmark for repairs and to be repurposed for use by the Germans as a raider. What exactly became of the ship and the crew is mentioned in the Atlantis log.

But if he died in the Indian Ocean, then it should be impossible to be on any census taken after your dead. Unless there are two people using the same identity. And that is not improbable if one of those people has stolen the other's identity for a nefarious purpose.

Last edited:
[/I should also say that Charles' great nephew told me that Charles' mother had been informed of his death and was given a small sum as compensation for his death by the Tirranna's owners.

Nope. It was the Denmark Census were he shows up after he was supposed to of died on the way to Norway. That's not unreasonable if he did not die as claimed, as he was a seaman and Norway to Denmark is a busy sea route. Besides which, his ship was captured, so it was probably sent to Denmark for repairs and to be repurposed for use by the Germans as a raider. What exactly became of the ship and the crew is mentioned in the Atlantis log.

But if he died in the Indian Ocean, then it should be impossible to be on any census taken after your dead. Unless there are two people using the same identity. And that is not improbable if one of those people has stolen the other's identity for a nefarious purpose.

Notice the scar running from the left side of the bridge of Charles' nose down to underneath his left eye (passport photo)? Look at SM's autopsy photo and note the piece of something covering that part of the nose showing a scar in Charles' passport photo. “What are the odds” as Marmaduke's bookmaker mate would say? Look at an enlargement of Charles' left eye pupil. Irregular? That is called iris coloboma and is quite rare (1 in 3,500 from memory). And what did the autopsy pathologist report about SM's pupils? Smaller than normal and irregular (ie. Irregular edge = coloboma). What are the odds?

Oh, and Charles mentions that he was involved in land clearing and, from memory, Keith Mangnoson identified SM as being a Scandinavian “Carl Thompsen” with whom Mangnoson had worked about 1939 in South Australia on land clearing. The “Cheltenham woman” identified SM as a Norwegian shoe maker born circa 1902 who spoke good English and liked to quote the last line of the Rubaiyat. She met him on Kangaroo Island in about 1932 and when she last heard of Charles he was staying at a guest house at Glenelg.

Lastly, Paul Lawson reported that a family from Kangaroo Island took the time and effort to come over twice to view the body. Charles Mikkelsen did work for a time on Kangaroo Island (Australian Archives records).

What are the odds?

Oh, further, iris coloboma has been in the news lately. The Madeleine McCann case.

Notice the scar running from the left side of the bridge of Charles' nose down to underneath his left eye (passport photo)? Look at SM's autopsy photo and note the piece of something covering that part of the nose showing a scar in Charles' passport photo. “What are the odds” as Marmaduke's bookmaker mate would say? Look at an enlargement of Charles' left eye pupil. Irregular? That is called iris coloboma and is quite rare (1 in 3,500 from memory). And what did the autopsy pathologist report about SM's pupils? Smaller than normal and irregular (ie. Irregular edge = coloboma). What are the odds?

Oh, and Charles mentions that he was involved in land clearing and, from memory, Keith Mangnoson identified SM as being a Scandinavian “Carl Thompsen” with whom Mangnoson had worked about 1939 in South Australia on land clearing. The “Cheltenham woman” identified SM as a Norwegian shoe maker born circa 1902 who spoke good English and liked to quote the last line of the Rubaiyat. She met him on Kangaroo Island in about 1932 and when she last heard of Charles he was staying at a guest house at Glenelg.

Lastly, Paul Lawson reported that a family from Kangaroo Island took the time and effort to come over twice to view the body. Charles Mikkelsen did work for a time on Kangaroo Island (Australian Archives records).

What are the odds?

Oh, further, iris coloboma has been in the news lately. The Madeleine McCann case.
An angioma above his eye is mentioned by the doctor in his medical examination for his application to stay in Australia back in tthe 30's. It is also wuite evident in his passport photo where you can clearly see that it has caused swelling of his eyelid. It's all there in his NAA file. He could've had it surgically removed if it started to bother him, leaving a scar. The appendicitis is clearly stated in his NAA file also.

9a798e6849f01a4bd337594efe7844a6.jpg

8c15480f6bf01ad26008f8fac9a33288.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An angioma above his eye is mentioned by the doctor in his medical examination for his application to stay in Australia back in tthe 30's. It is also wuite evident in his passport photo where you can clearly see that it has caused swelling of his eyelid. It's all there in his NAA file. He could've had it surgically removed if it started to bother him, leaving a scar. The appendicitis is clearly stated in his NAA file also.

9a798e6849f01a4bd337594efe7844a6.jpg

8c15480f6bf01ad26008f8fac9a33288.jpg
Yes. Angiomas can occur almost anywhere. And angiomas can be caused by trauma. SM was particular about his appearance and so it appears was Charles. So it is possible that Charles had the eyelid angioma removed.

The iris coloboma evident in Charles' passport photo is more characteristic of iris coloboma caused by an injury rather than being congenital. So, maybe the scar and the angioma could also have come from an injury around the eye/nose area.

Notice that Charles' hairline around his part has been retouched? Retouched? A passport photo? Could the photo have been adjusted so as to fit two separate seamen?

I think that the evidence of Charles' lenient treatment by the Australian authorities points to him being some sort of “useful”.

Denmark at the time of the 1940 Danish Census was behind German lines. My bet is that Charles saw an opportunity when the gun crew were blown away. Their bodies would have mostly been blown overboard. My partner's father suffered the same fate manning the 4 inch deck gun (no protection) on HMAS Canberra during the Battle of Savo in 1942. Eye witnesses said the crew “just disappeared”. Charles was a passenger, he had been in Australia since 1923 so would have been investigated by the Germans and interrogated. A stupid journalist (and editor) published the fact that the Norwegian passengers were going back to Norway to fight the Germans! He was not a crew member and could not have even received any training for the deck gun because he was not a crew member and was not in Melbourne at the time of the training.

My suspicion is that Charles survived and got back to Norway (behind German lines) and then took the opportunity to slip into Denmark where somebody got him registered in the Census and so put him under cover. As a seaman in Denmark he would have been useful to allied intelligence.

The alternative is that, like many of the surviving crew members from the Tirranna he went to Russia and the Russians inserted him into Denmark and legitimised him via Census entries. The Russians (USSR) did the same thing in Australia with birth and other records and were still doing it in the 1970s (see the case of the crooked Scotland Yard detective John Alexander Symonds (the “Romeo Spy”). Symonds spent some time in Australia “tomb stoning” (stealing the identities of deceased children and applying for Australian passports for KGB use in their names).

Peter Wright (“Spy Catcher”) said that Lionel Murphy's birth record was inserted into the official records at a later date.

Yes. Angiomas can occur almost anywhere. And angiomas can be caused by trauma. SM was particular about his appearance and so it appears was Charles. So it is possible that Charles had the eyelid angioma removed.

The iris coloboma evident in Charles' passport photo is more characteristic of iris coloboma caused by an injury rather than being congenital. So, maybe the scar and the angioma could also have come from an injury around the eye/nose area.

Notice that Charles' hairline around his part has been retouched? Retouched? A passport photo? Could the photo have been adjusted so as to fit two separate seamen?

I think that the evidence of Charles' lenient treatment by the Australian authorities points to him being some sort of “useful”.

Denmark at the time of the 1940 Danish Census was behind German lines. My bet is that Charles saw an opportunity when the gun crew were blown away. Their bodies would have mostly been blown overboard. My partner's father suffered the same fate manning the 4 inch deck gun (no protection) on HMAS Canberra during the Battle of Savo in 1942. Eye witnesses said the crew “just disappeared”. Charles was a passenger, he had been in Australia since 1923 so would have been investigated by the Germans and interrogated. A stupid journalist (and editor) published the fact that the Norwegian passengers were going back to Norway to fight the Germans! He was not a crew member and could not have even received any training for the deck gun because he was not a crew member and was not in Melbourne at the time of the training.

My suspicion is that Charles survived and got back to Norway (behind German lines) and then took the opportunity to slip into Denmark where somebody got him registered in the Census and so put him under cover. As a seaman in Denmark he would have been useful to allied intelligence.

The alternative is that, like many of the surviving crew members from the Tirranna he went to Russia and the Russians inserted him into Denmark and legitimised him via Census entries. The Russians (USSR) did the same thing in Australia with birth and other records and were still doing it in the 1970s (see the case of the crooked Scotland Yard detective John Alexander Symonds (the “Romeo Spy”). Symonds spent some time in Australia “tomb stoning” (stealing the identities of deceased children and applying for Australian passports for KGB use in their names).

Peter Wright (“Spy Catcher”) said that Lionel Murphy's birth record was inserted into the official records at a later date.
I note that the doctor did not say that Charles had an appendectomy, merely that he was treated for appendicitis. In the largely pre-antibiotic era a doctor would not operate in a remote tropical island such as Thursday Island unless there was clear evidence of a ruptured appendix. He would not risk operating merely for a rumbling appendix. In any case the Doctor would have clearly stated if Charles had an appendectomy.

I note that the doctor did not say that Charles had an appendectomy, merely that he was treated for appendicitis. In the largely pre-antibiotic era a doctor would not operate in a remote tropical island such as Thursday Island unless there was clear evidence of a ruptured appendix. He would not risk operating merely for a rumbling appendix. In any case the Doctor would have clearly stated if Charles had an appendectomy.
If Charles had an appendectomy, he would've been certified unfit for a lot longer than he was IMO. My wife was sent to a ward for a week when she went to the ER with appendicitis. They didn't operate. They said that most cases don't require surgery.
My dad had an appendectomy when he was a kid. Turned out much later that he had Crohn disease.
Now, if Charles was misdiagnosed.... and the pain was something else.... like whatever was asiling SM?
Something that's been giving him an ache since 1935... maybe the quacks in 1948 told him it was probably something terminal .. too many schnapps? Maybe he would've bugged a nurse he once knew to do some euthanasia?

Charles was in Australia twice before the Thursday Island arrival.
Plenty of time to do all these jobs.
It wasn't until after his New Zealand sojourn where he met a girl, and then got deported, that he decided to make a formal application to stay in Australia. It would seem that he might not of ever got told that his application was successful. Which one has to assume, because he had previously always got booted out, that if he did in fact survive the war, may of lead him to surreptitiously come back under an assumed name hiding his actual identity in the false belief that he would've got thrown out again.
fcd1ea2e8ffc21ddaf347ee266dddf16.jpg

Last edited:
Some 800 Norwegians were trained by the SOE. By wars end they were responsible for the coordination of 40,000 members of the Norwegian resistance. It was imperative that their identities were never discovered lest family members in Norway would suffer reprisals. If Mikkelsen found his way to Britain and joined the SOE, he might've assumed a new identity and a new purpose in life, maybe even being recruited by MI5?

Last edited:
If Charles had an appendectomy, he would've been certified unfit for a lot longer than he was IMO. My wife was sent to a ward for a week when she went to the ER with appendicitis. They didn't operate. They said that most cases don't require surgery.
My dad had an appendectomy when he was a kid. Turned out much later that he had Crohn disease.
Now, if Charles was misdiagnosed.... and the pain was something else.... like whatever was asiling SM?
Something that's been giving him an ache since 1935... maybe the quacks in 1948 told him it was probably something terminal .. too many schnapps? Maybe he would've bugged a nurse he once knew to do some euthanasia?

Agreed. The doctor would have waited until the abdominal pain subsided and then advised Charles to go back to Australia just in case it flared up again. I believe that SM showed signs of having some form of connective tissue disease and stomach pain similar to a rumbling appendix can occur with some forms of connective tissue disease. I know because I have got it and I have it.

What are the odds?

A shoemaker's hands are rough, it is quite hard manual work and it marks the hands and fingers quite noticeably. Whilst SMs fingerprints, especially the thumb and index finger show some signs of wear, the rest of the prints are relatively smooth and clean. It is a pity that they didn't take palm prints.

A shoemaker's hands are rough, it is quite hard manual work and it marks the hands and fingers quite noticeably. Whilst SMs fingerprints, especially the thumb and index finger show some signs of wear, the rest of the prints are relatively smooth and clean. It is a pity that they didn't take palm prints.
Gordon, Yes, that is the case except for a rarity of people who have some forms of connective tissue disease. These people have "bullet proof" skin and don't develop any of the signs of hard work. And any damage repairs in short order, often with no scarring or minimal scarring. Some people with connective tissue disease also have the opposite, keloid scarring. I know because I have connective tissue disease, soft skin, no scars and all. In any case shoe making was probably only an incidental job for Charles and any skin damage had probably healed up.

Some 800 Norwegians were trained by the SOE. By wars end they were responsible for the coordination of 40,000 members of the Norwegian resistance. It was imperative that their identities were never discovered lest family members in Norway would suffer reprisals. If Mikkelsen found his way to Britain and joined the SOE, he might've assumed a new identity and a new purpose in life, maybe even being recruited by MI5?

For the shake of pure conjecture, let's say that Charles Mikkelsen did survive the attack by the German Raider Atlantis by assuming another's identity, and then in a desire to support the Norwegian Resistance was recruited by an Allied Intelligence Agency.
Now we know that Robert Victor Hemblys Scales worked in counter espionage by war's end and was an MI5 interrogator. For the shake of this exercise, we'll assume that Mikkelsen was well known to Hemblys Scales, maybe even working for him. Could Hemblys Scales as his friend, then set him up to return to Australia under his new name, giving him a reference to join CIS?
Fast forward to late 40's and Mikkelsen calls on his old friend disclosing that the Dr's given him a death sentence, not long to live, wants a couple of favours. The address of an old flame to see his child, a poison that won't cause a nasty death.
Hemblys Scales quickly finds the old flame, she taken up with a guy and tracks him down to Genelg. This is handy, because his fiancee s Aunt is a doctor living nearby. Goes to her to explain the situation and she's ameniable to setting it up. She visits the chemist who still has a pharmacy in the building on Jetty Rd that her husband and herself had a surgery practice in before the Surgery was moved to Moseley St, Somerton Park, a fww doors up from where Mikkelsen's old flame is now residing.
So Mikkelsen makes his way to Adelaide, trying to locate and see his child. Missed the first opportunity, possibly missing the final opportunity because Jessica's working a shift.
The stomach pain is really killing him now, so rings the number that Hemblys Scales gave him. Dr Sprod answers, is given the confirmation code, and sets the train in motion. Calls the chemist to pick Mikkelsen up and take him back to his shop whilst she makes her way there from Unley Park. Mikkelsen tears a scrap of paper from his book and leaves the book on the seat.
They all get to Jetty Rd, where Dr Sprod meets them and administers the drugs intravenously. They are designed to let him pass away painlessly after a period of time. Mikkelsen has two last requests. Dying on the beach (he found a good spot earlier where he practised to make sure no one would disturb him) and a smoke.
He's taken to the spot, and is given a cigarette, but it's too late. The chemist smokes part of it and then puts it on the corpse. The chemist doesn't want to get into trouble with the Dr or her Spy man nephew, by not complying with Mikkelsen's last wishes. Forgets to put Mikkelsen's matches back into his pocket. Dr Sprod has already been given the luggage check ticket by Mikkelsen with instructions about certain items an money to give to his child's mother. Hemblys Scales gives further instruction over the phone about removing identifying particulars, and assures Dr Sprod, that her and the chemists involvement will be covered up.
Chemists brother finds the book and without knowing what his brother's involvement was goes and tells the press later on after the story of the Taman Shud.
Hemblys Scales ties up loose ends. Has a packet of matches "found" in the clothing etc.
Then things go sour. And Keith dies.

Genealogical entry for Charles Mikkelsen

203d7b44d0d84b873aea82c4bde19e03.jpg
Different ears. Close but there is enough difference to say they are different men

1583139274379.png

*always look at ears for a better match

Different ears. Close but there is enough difference to say they are different men

View attachment 832407

*always look at ears for a better match
Fair enough, since Mikkelsen was supposedly dead 8 years earlier, but are ears symmetric or asymmetric? As we only have SM's left ear to compare to Mikkelsen's right ear in these pictures. Is there a picture of SM's right ear available?

Fair enough, since Mikkelsen was supposedly dead 8 years earlier, but are ears symmetric or asymmetric? As we only have SM's left ear to compare to Mikkelsen's right ear in these pictures. Is there a picture of SM's right ear available?

1583148989770.png

You can just see it there

Its more the lower lobe. On Mikkelsen its more rounded than on SM - all ears have similar lobe and cartilage shape. There may be slight differences but the overall structure is there

On SM the cartilage ( right ear) stops where Mikkelsen continues .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back