Game Day Practice Match | North Melbourne v Melbourne | Feb 28th 1.10pm @Arden St. [Live on nmfc.com.au]

Remove this Banner Ad

Our drafting has been deplorable.

Our 2015 draft picks were a big fail. Our only player still on the list is McKay.

Our 2014 wasn’t much better and reaching for NIELSON at 25 was the laughing stock pick of the draft. He was expected to go Rookie or late in the draft at best.

We reached for a HF in WALKER at 23 when he wasn’t even on the radar of most clubs while Geelong pick up Kelly at 24.

An interview I heard some 12 months ago with a Richmond scout was that outside of the first round or key position picks they are looking for small to medium players that either have speed or are as tough as nails with above average foot skills.

Our policy seems to be the complete opposite. THOMAS was gifted to us as an academy pick and JY had a serious injury at TAC level which allowed him to slip to our pick.

We need a massive clean out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

still don’t know why North only picked up 3 players in the draft. Could of had Flanders. Taylor has gone past Wood Turner & Garner.. If EVW was playing, he could take JMac spot. And Atley is meh.

Our 2015 draft picks were a big fail. Our only player still on the list is McKay.

Our 2014 wasn’t much better and reaching for NIELSON at 25 was the laughing stock pick of the draft. He was expected to go Rookie or late in the draft at best.

We reached for a HF in WALKER at 23 when he wasn’t even on the radar of most clubs while Geelong pick up Kelly at 24.

An interview I heard some 12 months ago with a Richmond scout was that outside of the first round or key position picks they are looking for small to medium players that either have speed or are as tough as nails with above average foot skills.

Our policy seems to be the complete opposite. THOMAS was gifted to us as an academy pick and JY had a serious injury at TAC level which allowed him to slip to our pick.

Maybe a tad of an overreaction.
Urban legend has it that Geelong was going to take Walker at 24, so we got in before them
Poor Cats got stuck with a dud called T Kelly at 24
The rest is history

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes he's now at West Coast.

Two decades.
Exactly right LH. Two very painful decades where we've been swimming in abject mediocrity. Our drafting , particularly our obsession with slow, fat arsed blokes who can't kick, and our manic silliness in wanting players from other teams all the time, has to stop. Our over reliance on mature, safe but ultimately bog average blue collar soldiers has to stop. For a team permanently locked in the middle of the ladder to pump the fewest games into debutants than any other club in the last 5 years, yep that's right, is beyond mind boggling.

But here's the thing LH, while most on this board are in a selling mood, I'm looking to buy. Buy big. You see, call it late penny dropping or dumbass luck, somehow we've stumbled accross the best and most talented cluster of kids we've had in 30 years.

2020 should be about pumping more game into them. If you're 25 or over and your name is not Daw, Williams, Higgins, Ziebell, Cunnington, Polec, Pittard; Goldstein, Tarrant and Brown you shouldn't be getting a game.

It starts now. Watch us in 2021 if we follow that simple formula.

Still trying to work out what sucks most, the game or the thread.

On the game, could it be the players struggling to transition from Scott's regimented game plan to Shaw's more individual scope to take the game on?

Having Zeibell, Cunners, Goldy, Higgins, Thomas, Polec, LDU, Brown and Larkey out not only hurts ability wise but also leadership on field.

At the moment, our forwards are struggling as our ball movement is slow and sloppy but if it is a transition thing to Shaw's game plan then that can change pretty quickly.

I am trying not to be too concerned at the moment but we'd want to show vast improvement against the Swans
Maybe, but they weren't practising taking the game on yesterday; they were practising possession football in the back half

Exactly right LH. Two very painful decades where we've been swimming in abject mediocrity. Our drafting , particularly our obsession with slow, fat arsed blokes who can't kick, and our manic silliness in wanting players from other teams all the time, has to stop. Our over reliance on mature, safe but ultimately bog average blue collar soldiers has to stop. For a team permanently locked in the middle of the ladder to pump the fewest games into debutants than any other club in the last 5 years, yep that's right, is beyond mind boggling.

But here's the thing LH, while most on this board are in a selling mood, I'm looking to buy. Buy big. You see, call it late penny dropping or dumbass luck, somehow we've stumbled accross the best and most talented cluster of kids we've had in 30 years.

2020 should be about pumping more game into them. If you're 25 or over and your name is not Daw, Williams, Higgins, Ziebell, Cunnington, Polec, Pittard; Goldstein, Tarrant and Brown you shouldn't be getting a game.

It starts now. Watch us in 2021 if we follow that simple formula.

So you can our recruiting and then state we have the best collection of kids in 30 years.

images (9).jpeg

Maybe, but they weren't practising taking the game on yesterday; they were practising possession football in the back half

Yeah I think that's what frustrates Shaw the most. This little reality check is an interesting challenge for Shaw. Keen to see how we respond.

We need a massive clean
Im not ready to judge the drafting of Walker at 23 yet. The kid is coming off an injury and showed real promise prior to it. He may turn out to be a very good AFL level player or better, which is all you can ask at pick 23.

As for Kelly he was overlooked by every other club for years, it happens.

Agree 100%, a massive clean out is required. It starts by making calls on players like McDonald, McMillan, Turner, Garner and Durdin.

If they can’t contribute then VFL, then delist. These guys would be struggling to get a game on any other list.

Take the pain and blood a kid that has the necessary skills and tools to make the grade instead of pumping game time into list cloggers.

Now they might turn it around during the year, but the time of gifting games to average and underperforming senior players should end now.

Last edited:

We've had a clean out of the blokes responsible. The current recruiters can't be held responsible for the drafting of 5 years ago nor can they undo it retrospectively.

We look to have brought in some good talent over the last few drafts. Simpkin, Zurhaar, Larkey, Xerri, LDU, Walker, Thomas, Scott, Taylor, Mahony, Comben, Hosie. We haven't seen Perez yet. That's some high ceiling.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Im not ready to judge the drafting of Walker at 23 yet. The kid is coming off an injury and showed real promise prior to it. He may turn out to be a very good AFL level player, which is all you can ask at pick 23.

As for Kelly he was overlooked by every other club for years, it happens.

Agree 100%, a massive clean out is required. It starts by making calls on players like McDonald, McMillan, Turner, Garner and Durdin.

If they can’t contribute then VFL, then delist. These guys would be struggling to get a game on any other list.

Take the pain and blood a kid that has the necessary skills and tools to make the grade instead of pumping game time into list cloggers.

Now they might turn it around during the year, but the time of gifting games to average and underperforming senior players should end now.
I'm not sure how anyone can put a line through Walker or say he wasn't on any other club's radar unless you have access to all 18 club's databases.

still don’t know why North only picked up 3 players in the draft. Could of had Flanders. Taylor has gone past Wood Turner & Garner.. If EVW was playing, he could take JMac spot. And Atley is meh.
We may have rated Mahoney just a highly and got an extra 1st pick next year thrown into the bargain.

So you can our recruiting and then state we have the best collection of kids in 30 years.

View attachment 830922
Maybe It's not hard to achieve when you actually ponder how poor our drafting has been for most of that time. Time will be very kind in this game to the likes of LDU, Scott, Larkey, Simpkin, TT, Comben and Taylor. Seeds only sewn very recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A full clean out is long overdue and our chance to accelerate the rebuild was when we should have finished last a few years back.

Instead we have gone on our merry middle of the road ride, cheering ourselves on with how we have done such a great job.

We are where we are because we wont make any hard decisions on players - some of the players that have been on our list 3 years plus are just no where near up to it and never will be - yet we continue to reward them with contract extensions as if they are in high demand.

No short cuts from here though unfortunately - its going to be a tough couple of years ahead - no chance of finals and a lot more losses than wins.

We have a bit of talent coming through but alot more talent leaving over the next few years.

Last edited:
Tim Kelly is going to smash it for Geelong this year and take them to another flag like he has in the previous two years.

JLC
You’re one of my favorite posters
Your Queensland vs Syria stance...
Punching on with peptides supporters
Your George Negus questioning and interrogation of Crapper entertained and enlightened me, so thank you

However, if we re did the 2017 draft , who are we picking?

Sure , Will showed a lot when he played , plenty of X Factor

But to deny Kelly is a jet is wrong .

And who’s to say he would’ve gone running back to Perth if we drafted him?

Maybe his mrs would’ve settled into Melbourne better ..maybe she might have settled into our family environment differently, there’s no guarantees

And if he decided to pack his bags we would’ve been handsomely compensated, the bloke has currency

His pace , skill, run and carry are exactly what we are crying out for.

Anyway I hope Will shines and becomes a gun, I am happy to be wrong on this one, but I remember on the night he was a surprise selection at 23.

JLC
Your George Negus questioning and interrogation of Crapper entertained and enlightened me, so thank you

Maybe his mrs would’ve settled into Melbourne better ..maybe she might have settled into our family environment differently, there’s no guarantees

And if he decided to pack his bags we would’ve been handsomely compensated, the bloke has currency

And Geelong didn't even get top 10 pick for him.

Anyway I hope Will shines and becomes a gun, I am happy to be wrong on this one, but I remember on the night he was a surprise selection at 23.

Kelly is a gun, no doubt.

But let's not forget that Will was tracking very impressively until he got injured.

And Geelong didn't even get top 10 pick for him.

Holy crap balls.

After nearly 20 years of hanging out in this joint I thought some half-decent common sense would be a constant around these parts but its deteriorating quicker than peoples memories..

After a couple of ordinary preseason games with 70% of our best locks out and our coaches giving 1st & 2nd year players a sniff, some of the depressing comments on here just has me laughing out loud.

I’m old and even I remember only 6 months ago this club winning 8 of its last 12 games which included big wins over top sides Collingwood and Richmond (didn’t that side that win the flag?..) and the absolute obliteration of our annual nemesis Port.

We haven’t lost hunger from last year, we haven’t lost our ability from last year, our coach hasn’t suddenly got dumber from last year, we just haven’t had the cattle on the park yet like last year.

Cool ya jets family and lets wait for the real stuff..

JLC

If Kelly's mrs couldn't settle in at sleep hollow, it's hard to imagine her settling in inner city Melbourne

This GunSchwatta bloke is really going hard
And he’ll take it too far soon enough and get banned again, then get back on his meds and start feeling sorry for himself and create another new account and post 300 times a day which will be annoying but not enough to quite get banned, then take it too far and get banned again, lather, rinse, repeat.

And he’ll take it too far soon enough and get banned again, then get back on his meds and start feeling sorry for himself and create another new account and post 300 times a day which will be annoying but not enough to quite get banned, then take it too far and get banned again, lather, rinse, repeat.

Who was he before?

Holy crap balls.

After nearly 20 years of hanging out in this joint I thought some half-decent common sense would be a constant around these parts but its deteriorating quicker than peoples memories..

After a couple of ordinary preseason games with 70% of our best locks out and our coaches giving 1st & 2nd year players a sniff, some of the depressing comments on here just has me laughing out loud.

I’m old and even I remember only 6 months ago this club winning 8 of its last 12 games which included big wins over top sides Collingwood and Richmond (didn’t that side that win the flag?..) and the absolute obliteration of our annual nemesis Port.

We haven’t lost hunger from last year, we haven’t lost our ability from last year, our coach hasn’t suddenly got dumber from last year, we just haven’t had the cattle on the park yet like last year.

All sensible stuff and history says you're right. But history also says that when we do get into gear and bounce back - we only rebound into the middle reaches of the ladder. We need to get serious or we'll be shipped off to Tassie. No joke.

Holy crap balls.

thanks Shermanator. The voice of reason

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it Tef?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back