Game Day 2020 AFLW Rnd 4 - Richmond vs Geelong, Sat 29 Feb, Queen Elizabeth Oval Bendigo , 3.10pm Melb time

Remove this Banner Ad

22 points and the Salty Ones were gifted 2 goals from the softest of soft 50m penalties plus the missed frees that weren't paid to us. On top of that #TigersWomenHaveInjuries

Missed the game unfortunately, looked to be a much improved effort , Conti starring , hope katie is ok ,,,that clumsy @$#& should get a couple of weeks for that clash was really dangerous with kb head over the Ball , duty of care completely absent , pleased to see big Wakefield getting amongst it , she’s a very good player at the level , pity she prob only has a season or two in her at 32yo

don't think there was any intention to hit her like that, just a bit careless with her body positioning with regard to Brennan's head down and over the footy
Was referring back to when Ablett Sr used to take his cheap shot at us back in the day.

Beyond conti boy are we struggling for midfield ability
View attachment 831308

We're gonna need to pull a rabbit out of the hat this offseason to improve the rucks and midfield. Maybe make a play to get Erin McKinnon out of NSW now she's not getting a game for them. Number 1 pick will be able to get us a gun midfielder. A well chosen second rounder or a big jump from Wood/Jacques could be enough too I guess

We're gonna need to pull a rabbit out of the hat this offseason to improve the rucks and midfield. Maybe make a play to get Erin McKinnon out of NSW now she's not getting a game for them. Number 1 pick will be able to get us a gun midfielder. A well chosen second rounder or a big jump from Wood/Jacques could be enough too I guess
Was anticipating Jacques showing more than she has , only young I spose

2020 Draft
we'll have Ellie McKenzie and Jessica Fitzgerald (Northern Knights Vic Metro ) please

Beyond conti boy are we struggling for midfield ability
View attachment 831308
Midfield is the biggest concern for me in the short-medium term. Our defence isn’t good either, but that is due to a lot of inexperience. The players need time.

We really need to look elsewhere for the midfield though. Draft or other teams. Our solid forward line just can’t score enough with this midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was anticipating Jacques showing more than she has , only young I spose

The whole team, including Brennan and sometimes even Conti don't release quickly enough. When you compare this phase to other teams we simply get locked down more often, where as other teams release quicker and at least get it to the outside or nearly to it. Makes the third touch a much better possession to a threatening position. It's getting better, even with the likes of Jacques, Molan etc, but will just take time and experience.

If we had the luxury to play Monahan in the middle, it would improve the side immediately, but wow would we leak in the back half.

Midfield is the biggest concern for me in the short-medium term. Our defence isn’t good either, but that is due to a lot of inexperience. The players need time.

We really need to look elsewhere for the midfield though. Draft or other teams. Our solid forward line just can’t score enough with this midfield.
Our i50 is reg about 1/2 of the oppo , that comes down to supply or the qty of your mids as I say another 2 somewhere near conti would help no end , oh and sack our recruiter , she is not on right page with listing AFLW 2020.
If we re getting same i50 as oppo , I reckon kb Wakefield , Frederick amd Bernadi could kick a winning score , agree defence is average though Monahan is performing bloody well , with her numbers she will be in top couple of our bf

I'm actually not convinced that rucks are all that effective in AFLW. My focus would be improving our midfield. I'm actually ok with Alice Edmonds. She is very very green and has been improving each game. Last game against Geelong was miles and miles better than her first game. A good midfield will make her look way way better.

When you have 28% of your disposals coming from two players and one is a defender you are just hanging in games by your fingernails. We need to be realistic however. Whichever young kid we get come draft time we can't expect them to have significant impact in 2021. I think we need to target some ready made mids.

I'm actually not convinced that rucks are all that effective in AFLW. My focus would be improving our midfield. I'm actually ok with Alice Edmonds. She is very very green and has been improving each game. Last game against Geelong was miles and miles better than her first game. A good midfield will make her look way way better.

When you have 28% of your disposals coming from two players and one is a defender you are just hanging in games by your fingernails. We need to be realistic however. Whichever young kid we get come draft time we can't expect them to have significant impact in 2021. I think we need to target some ready made mids.

great post TigermanM2, spot on
I have a feeling that we'll go for a 24-25 year old mid from another club, also probably draft 2 gun junior mids in the draft
we're still very young and lack that depth through the on ball positions

Yep supply i50 is the acute problem , disappointing we re dropping behind the performance of the other newbs , saints gc and wc who have all been credible to say the least. The point was well made we re not gonna get it all right yr 1 , I’m sure we ll be better prepared going Into season 2

Conti’s perfect performance
Monique Conti has received maximum votes in the AFL Coaches Association’s AFLW Champion Player of the Year Award for Round 4.
By Grace Kalac, richmondfc.com.au
conti.jpg

Midfielder Monique Conti’s dazzling display against Geelong on Sunday earned her a perfect score in the AFL Coaches Association’s AFLW Champion Player of the Year Award for Round 4.

The talented 20-year-old showcased her elite skills and ball-winning ability as she finished the clash with 28 disposals, five tackles, two marks and four clearances.

Conti is the first ever AFLW Tiger to receive maximum votes. Classy defender Phoebe Monahan polled in the opening two rounds while Conti also collected four votes in Round 2.

Full voting details for the Round 4 Richmond v Geelong match are:
10 - Monique Conti (RICH)
8 - Olivia Purcell (GEEL)
5 - Meghan McDonald (GEEL)
4 - Richelle Cranston (GEEL)
2 - Courtney Wakefield (RICH)
1 - Phoebe McWilliams (GEEL)

Conti is showing value of 100% commitment to footy after slowish start to year , I reckon she’ll be captain of our women’s team in a couple a years

She played in a pretty good Bulldogs side so sometimes you wonder just how good some players are when they are surrounded by quality players.

Well, she picked up our side and carried them on her back for four quarters last weekend so we can safely say she is unbelievably good and has heaps of improvement in her. Scary for other teams when you think how good she will be when she is in her prime 3 or 4 years down the track.

Doesn't turn 21 until December. Your "captain" prediction is also a very good one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back