Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
I've tried, but can't work out what this is an euphemism for?
Nah bro, no Easter eggs this time, I was just picturing the Juddanaught flying around the warehouse on a forklift like a robot at Amazon, trying to justify to his co-workers his hefty pay packet..

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Papley looked class again last night will be interested to see if we try again to get him this year

I doubt it. We pulled out because of what the Swans wanted, not him.

They won't want any less, he still has multiple seasons left and looks better... is he worth last years and this years first rounder?

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought I'd share the closest thing to inside intell that I'm ever likely to get - was talking to a new starter at work the other day and the conversation turned to footy:

RR: Who do you barrack for?
NS: GWS, because my relative* plays for them.
RR: Oh yeah? Who's your relative?
NS: Zac Williams
RR: Good player. He's a free agent this year - hope he comes to North!
NS: Well he does want to go to Melbourne, just not Collingwood (haha)**.

Conversation continued about how he'd get much more elsewhere than he would at GWS.

* NS didn't actually say "relative", but don't want to be too specific.
** This was NS saying that they don't want Williams to go to Collingwood - not that Williams had said it himself.

No idea whether "wants to go to Melbourne" is something Williams has his heart set on or just a vague desire that won't be followed through on. Wish I'd asked why he wants to go to Melbourne, because he's from NSW as far as I'm aware. But I don't think NS was BSing me - NS wouldn't have even known I follow footy at that point (I'm in Canberra, where League is far more popular).

Anyway, if we aren't already into Williams then geez I hope we start. Think Wood is on $450k. What would JMac be on? $400k? There's $850k for Williams right there. Would be perfect for us.

Nek minute, Williams signs 5 year contract with GWS :)

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought I'd share the closest thing to inside intell that I'm ever likely to get - was talking to a new starter at work the other day and the conversation turned to footy:

RR: Who do you barrack for?
NS: GWS, because my relative* plays for them.
RR: Oh yeah? Who's your relative?
NS: Zac Williams
RR: Good player. He's a free agent this year - hope he comes to North!
NS: Well he does want to go to Melbourne, just not Collingwood (haha)**.

Conversation continued about how he'd get much more elsewhere than he would at GWS.

* NS didn't actually say "relative", but don't want to be too specific.
** This was NS saying that they don't want Williams to go to Collingwood - not that Williams had said it himself.

No idea whether "wants to go to Melbourne" is something Williams has his heart set on or just a vague desire that won't be followed through on. Wish I'd asked why he wants to go to Melbourne, because he's from NSW as far as I'm aware. But I don't think NS was BSing me - NS wouldn't have even known I follow footy at that point (I'm in Canberra, where League is far more popular).

Anyway, if we aren't already into Williams then geez I hope we start. Think Wood is on $450k. What would JMac be on? $400k? There's $850k for Williams right there. Would be perfect for us.

Nek minute, Williams signs 5 year contract with GWS :)
We're dumbcampaigners if we're paying Jamie 400k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
When will we learn..... It's like groundhog day. Every year for the last 15 years.

I'd rather we actually try and do the opposite, generate another first rounder through trading and go to the draft with a Freo 2019 style hand.

Whilst the Melbourne trade looked great on paper in 2019 and we can't really lose from a points perspective, this wont end nearly as nicely as some think. Melbourne's going to make the 8 imo. I can see that pick being around 15-20 once bids come in.

As much as people will hate this, we need to look at the Bulldogs as an example of what to do. They've built a very deep core of good young players, drafted and developed genuine young league wide superstars/stars (Bontempelli/Macrae/Dunkley/Naughton) and built a list FA's will naturally be attracted to.

We are trying to do things in reverse and the evidence is there that it absolutely does not work. We've only been able to attract players with significant question marks at the time and turn them around (Higgins, Waite, Anderson etc) or probably overpaid from both a salary/pick perspective (Polec).

I'm not saying we should shut the door on FA/trading as there's a balance and a good way of infilling needs on the list. As I think the strategy of taking good young players off GWS on the cheap (Bonar, Ahern) is a good one, I'd be all in on someone like Caldwell this year, given Hateley and Green look like getting major minutes this year.

We need to develop some genuine young superstars ourselves before we are able to attract the players we think we should be getting.

1 pick a year isn't getting that done. We need more volume.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When will we learn..... It's like groundhog day. Every year for the last 15 years.

I'd rather we actually try and do the opposite, generate another first rounder through trading and go to the draft with a Freo 2019 style hand.

Whilst the Melbourne trade looked great on paper in 2019 and we can't really lose from a points perspective, this wont end nearly as nicely as some think. Melbourne's going to make the 8 imo. I can see that pick being around 15-20 once bids come in.

As much as people will hate this, we need to look at the Bulldogs as an example of what to do. They've built a very deep core of good young players, drafted and developed genuine young league wide superstars/stars (Bontempelli/Macrae/Dunkley/Naughton) and built a list FA's will naturally be attracted to.

We are trying to do things in reverse and the evidence is there that it absolutely does not work. We've only been able to attract players with significant question marks at the time and turn them around (Higgins, Waite, Anderson etc) or probably overpaid from both a salary/pick perspective (Polec).

I'm not saying we should shut the door on FA/trading as there's a balance and a good way of infilling needs on the list. As I think the strategy of taking good young players off GWS on the cheap (Bonar, Ahern) is a good one, I'd be all in on someone like Caldwell this year, given Hateley and Green look like getting major minutes this year.

We need to develop some genuine young superstars ourselves before we are able to attract the players we think we should be getting.

I completely agree with you in terms of trading. We should be investing as much as possible in the draft over the next couple years and weeding out the dead weight.
In terms of FA I think we need to be open to it, particularly with RFA. If there is a class 26 year old out there who can fill hole or add to our list, it would be negligent not to pursue it. We still keep our picks in tact, but also add talent to our list at a relatively young age.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Thoughts on if we should’ve let Higgins and Goldy go?

My personal thoughts are yes.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I completely agree with you in terms of trading. We should be investing as much as possible in the draft over the next couple years and weeding out the dead weight.
In terms of FA I think we need to be open to it, particularly with RFA. If there is a class 26 year old out there who can fill hole or add to our list, it would be negligent not to pursue it. We still keep our picks in tact, but also add talent to our list at a relatively young age.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree, hence my point about needing balance because it's a great way of infilling list holes.

We need to stop hunting the D.Martin types, there's absolutely no point in it if we don't have the cattle around them...

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Thoughts on if we should’ve let Higgins and Goldy go?

My personal thoughts are yes.

We as a board/club are very adverse to it, because on the flip side, we've rarely lost players like other clubs.

Loyalty is a pillar of the club.

However, it seems to be at our detriment with one of the longest GF droughts in the league at the moment.

The cushiest AFL career is at North at times....

We were one of the most active sides (at also losing players) during the Pagan era, it coincided with one of our most successful areas. We also built one of the largest draft hands in history for a contending side over multiple years.

Losing players isn't the sky is falling type scenario, especially if they are in serious demand, often it's the way clubs generate a way of moving forward.

See Melbourne/Hogan and Port Adelaide's 2018.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back