Remove this Banner Ad

It appears police either feel they already have someone in prison, or the police have considerable evidence against someone else they have in reserve for future charges.
Source? Has there been a press release I missed?

Would she have to go past Cottesloe Beach to get home though? Presuming she was actually on her way home and not meeting someone at Cottesloe. Then taken either a sharp left or right turn across another lane to enter the winding service road down to the beach. It doesn't seem that might be done accidentally.
If Julie was living in Fremantle, she would have driven south west along Stirling Hwy to get home. To get to Cottesloe Beach, Julie would have to have turned off Stirling Hwy and headed north west. But in saying that, Cottesloe would not have been too far out of her way to go to.

Last edited:
https://www.news.com.au/news/vanish...g/news-story/1f9da6564bf58fdfb6f6532c5e7b5d2f
.... she had been driving home in her Fiat sedan from work along the Stirling Highway. Julie told her father, Roger, that a car had followed her closely for several kilometres along Stirling Highway, almost touching her rear bumper at times and seemed to be trying to force her off the road.
As she approached a turn-off in the beachside suburb of Cottesloe, the car pulled alongside and then suddenly veered in front of her.
Ms Cutler swerved around it and sped away, later reporting the incident to police.

So we can assume this happened at the Eric Street lights. This just could have been a case of road rage because she was travelling in the right lane and this person either wanted to get in this lane to pass her or turn right onto Eric Street? And to be honest i can't see her little Fiat speeding away from anything!! Also as this was in a completely built up area it would have been pretty hard to swerve anywhere if the car suddenly veered in front of her, unless she swerved into the oncoming traffic lanes, as to swerve in the other direction she would have hit the curb and gone onto the footpath. Julie would most likely have to have braked hard.This whole scenario doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

https://www.news.com.au/news/vanish...g/news-story/1f9da6564bf58fdfb6f6532c5e7b5d2f
.... she had been driving home in her Fiat sedan from work along the Stirling Highway. Julie told her father, Roger, that a car had followed her closely for several kilometres along Stirling Highway, almost touching her rear bumper at times and seemed to be trying to force her off the road.
As she approached a turn-off in the beachside suburb of Cottesloe, the car pulled alongside and then suddenly veered in front of her.
Ms Cutler swerved around it and sped away, later reporting the incident to police.

So we can assume this happened at the Eric Street lights. This just could have been a case of road rage because she was travelling in the right lane and this person either wanted to get in this lane to pass her or turn right onto Eric Street? And to be honest i can't see her little Fiat speeding away from anything!! Also as this was in a completely built up area it would have been pretty hard to swerve anywhere if the car suddenly veered in front of her, unless she swerved into the oncoming traffic lanes, as to swerve in the other direction she would have hit the curb and gone onto the footpath. Julie would most likely have to have braked hard.This whole scenario doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I imagine the moment a vehicle thats been tailing you closely for Km's begins coming up alongside, you'd instinctively slow anyway to put some distance between you.
It wouldnt matter what lane she was in when the car cut over into hers, she'd have moved into the other lane to pass it.

when discovered in the surf, was there any paint transfer on julies car or marks that could be attributed to being run off the road? if driving straight ahead into the water, you would expect front damage. running someone off the road suggests side or rear damage. was any reported, or paint scrapings taken?

when discovered in the surf, was there any paint transfer on julies car or marks that could be attributed to being run off the road? if driving straight ahead into the water, you would expect front damage. running someone off the road suggests side or rear damage. was any reported, or paint scrapings taken?

There are a few really good quality pics of Julie's car when it came out of the surf in this thread. Also a couple of the car in storage.

apparently julie was at a work function at the sheraton hotel. she got changed out of her work uniform at some point, and this was later found in a bag under a table somewhere else. if she drove her car from the hotel when leaving, why didnt she leave her uniform in the car? its not exactly something that you would carry around with you. her purse was apparently at her house, so why didnt the uniform go in the wash if she went home? how would it appear somewhere else? what if she made it home, but left the uniform in the car. she gets taken from the house, and the perpetrator(s) take her car at the same time? they then go through the contents of the car at this other place, leaving the uniform there. once finished, they dump the car.

apparently julie was at a work function at the sheraton hotel. she got changed out of her work uniform at some point, and this was later found in a bag under a table somewhere else. if she drove her car from the hotel when leaving, why didnt she leave her uniform in the car? its not exactly something that you would carry around with you. her purse was apparently at her house, so why didnt the uniform go in the wash if she went home? how would it appear somewhere else? what if she made it home, but left the uniform in the car. she gets taken from the house, and the perpetrator(s) take her car at the same time? they then go through the contents of the car at this other place, leaving the uniform there. once finished, they dump the car.
Uniforms were washed and launded by the hotel. Staff would leave their uniform to be washed and pick up a bag of cleaned uniform items before leaving. This has already been documented in the thread previously.

Where the bag of uniform items was left is only a short walk from the Mercantile Lane carpark of the Parmelia Hotel (which was back in those days an open air carpark) to the centreways arcade (now called "160 Central" a distance of about 50 metres. Add 50 to the back door entrance of the hotel and 50 if the kebab shop was at the Hay St end of the arcade. Whoever left it there could've been heading towards the train station (only one in those days was the old one on Wellington St). or the horseshoe bridge to go to Northbridge (The railway in those days meant that the only crossing available to pedestrians was the horseshoe bridge.

My guess, if it were Julie's, it that they're bringing it from the direction of the train station, towards the Parmelia to return it, after finding it at Cottesloe and simply lost ther bottle to hand it in,because they'd think they'd get blamed for her disappearance or something.

Alternatively, it was left there deliberately, thinking it would be handed in straight away.
A kidnapper's proof of life message maybe?
But it wasn't handed into police for a year.

All these theories have been discussed previously, including kidnapping by David Everett of the wrong Julie Cutler, causing him to abandon plans to ask for a ransom, without realising that he actually had the niece of the other Julie Cutler which he might've thought he could get money for, because of media reports from a supreme court case a decade before that suggested that a Director of Leopold Resources made a fortune in a stock market scam involving salting nickel samples from bore holes. The Director's wife's name was also Julie Cutler.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Uniforms were washed and launded by the hotel. Staff would leave their uniform to be washed and pick up a bag of cleaned uniform items before leaving. This has already been documented in the thread previously.

Where the bag of uniform items was left is only a short walk from the Mercantile Lane carpark of the Parmelia Hotel (which was back in those days an open air carpark) to the centreways arcade (now called "160 Central" a distance of about 50 metres. Add 50 to the back door entrance of the hotel and 50 if the kebab shop was at the Hay St end of the arcade. Whoever left it there could've been heading towards the train station (only one in those days was the old one on Wellington St). or the horseshoe bridge to go to Northbridge (The railway in those days meant that the only crossing available to pedestrians was the horseshoe bridge.

My guess, if it were Julie's, it that they're bringing it from the direction of the train station, towards the Parmelia to return it, after finding it at Cottesloe and simply lost ther bottle to hand it in,because they'd think they'd get blamed for her disappearance or something.

Alternatively, it was left there deliberately, thinking it would be handed in straight away.
A kidnapper's proof of life message maybe?
But it wasn't handed into police for a year.

All these theories have been discussed previously, including kidnapping by David Everett of the wrong Julie Cutler, causing him to abandon plans to ask for a ransom, without realising that he actually had the niece of the other Julie Cutler which he might've thought he could get money for, because of media reports from a supreme court case a decade before that suggested that a Director of Leopold Resources made a fortune in a stock market scam involving salting nickel samples from bore holes. The Director's wife's name was also Julie Cutler.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
So many things in this case dont make sense.
# I think the uniform in the bag is not related to Julie. Just a coincidence. If it was proof of life, it certainly wouldnt have been left on the floor of a little kebab shop.
#if Everett did kidnap her I don't think he would care which Julie Cutler he had. He'd just make it work.
# If she had gone to a night club after, surely some one would have recognized her and reported it.
#she most likely didnt go into the water in her car as some of her belongings would surely have washed up, if not her.
# She probably didnt go home and then out again. Why would she at that time of night?
# The car running her off the road and the break in were probably connected to her disappearance.
# She didnt drink but had wine glasses in her car. Come on, most young people enjoy a drink.
# Why did she go out to the car with a friend during the evening? Was this suspicious?
I think she in order of probability-
1. had a stalker, who was hiding in the back of her car.
2. was accosted by some one unknown to her on the way home.
3. was meeting some one at Cottesloe.
4. or went to some ones home for what ever reason on the way home and things ended badly.
I also think the fact that one of her doors didnt lock and another didnt unlock, says a lot about her. Most people would have this fixed asap. If not for their own safety, but for the safety of the car. I think Julie was probably a very trusting, fun loving girl who was also very naive.

WAPOL have had a forensic dig in the sand dunes near to where Julies car was put in the sea at Cottesloe. I looks like a purse, bag and diary possibly belonging to Julie were discovered shallowly buried in the location. They have also been trying to track down the two phone callers who reported a series of screams in the area late on the Night of the disappearance.
it looks very much like the current Police theory is that Julie was in her car with her killer late on the Sunday night at Cottesloe,and very possibly met her death there.

WAPOL have had a forensic dig in the sand dunes near to where Julies car was put in the sea at Cottesloe. I looks like a purse, bag and diary possibly belonging to Julie were discovered shallowly buried in the location. They have also been trying to track down the two phone callers who reported a series of screams in the area late on the Night of the disappearance.
it looks very much like the current Police theory is that Julie was in her car with her killer late on the Sunday night at Cottesloe,and very possibly met her death there.

"Eight years after her disappearance, a member of the public found a number of personal items in sand dunes at the popular beach.
They were handed to police in early 1997, but following inquiries with people who knew Ms Cutler they were dismissed as not being hers.
police with shovels search dunes with ocean in the background
PHOTO: Police search dunes at Cottesloe Beach as part of the cold case review into the disappearance of Julie Cutler. (ABC News: James Carmody)

They were then photographed and destroyed after not being linked to the crime.
The Cold Case Homicide Squad has since established that the items, which include a purse and a diary, may have belonged to Ms Cutler."

- I agree Badge666, What a disaster to find out after destroying the evidence they may have been hers! Absolutely heart breaking. But we appear to be no closer to finding Julie.
Where these sand dune near to where Julies car was found??

So many things in this case dont make sense.
# I think the uniform in the bag is not related to Julie. Just a coincidence. If it was proof of life, it certainly wouldnt have been left on the floor of a little kebab shop.
#if Everett did kidnap her I don't think he would care which Julie Cutler he had. He'd just make it work.
# If she had gone to a night club after, surely some one would have recognized her and reported it.
#she most likely didnt go into the water in her car as some of her belongings would surely have washed up, if not her.
# She probably didnt go home and then out again. Why would she at that time of night?
# The car running her off the road and the break in were probably connected to her disappearance.
# She didnt drink but had wine glasses in her car. Come on, most young people enjoy a drink.
# Why did she go out to the car with a friend during the evening? Was this suspicious?
I think she in order of probability-
1. had a stalker, who was hiding in the back of her car.
2. was accosted by some one unknown to her on the way home.
3. was meeting some one at Cottesloe.
4. or went to some ones home for what ever reason on the way home and things ended badly.
I also think the fact that one of her doors didnt lock and another didnt unlock, says a lot about her. Most people would have this fixed asap. If not for their own safety, but for the safety of the car. I think Julie was probably a very trusting, fun loving girl who was also very naive.
Many years ago I spent $120 on fixing a lock after a breakin attempt only to have it done a month or 2 later. I didn't really need to use that door that much. I also wondered whether it was just better to leave your car doors unlocked on an older car. Doing this on a 20 year + car for a young lady with a part time job, living in a share house, was not a high priority. While this was post Birnie Perth, they picked up hitch hikers not people that drove a car.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many years ago I spent $120 on fixing a lock after a breakin attempt only to have it done a month or 2 later. I didn't really need to use that door that much. I also wondered whether it was just better to leave your car doors unlocked on an older car. Doing this on a 20 year + car for a young lady with a part time job, living in a share house, was not a high priority. While this was post Birnie Perth, they picked up hitch hikers not people that drove a car.
Its been stated that this car was Julies pride and joy. Ive always made sure my car was lockable because terrible things have been happening for ever. As an example, i remember a few year before this, in a suburb 20 minutes away, a lady stopped at traffic lights near a pub and drunk staggered over, jumped in her car and forced her to drive up to the hills where she was raped and assaulted.

With the new Cottesloe Beach shark net up and running from the Groyne to around the Pylon and into shore,
any car going into the wash from the Groyne or beach now, will likely have most of it's contents get caught in the new shark net and not washed up the coast or out to sea.

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.02.10 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 1.04.07 pm.png

Wrapped in plastic suggests more 1990+

Though if the plastic is still there it could be heavy duty builders plastic
Yeah wrapped in plastic is strange.
Agreed It does indicate more recent handling than from 1988.
Could have been used in a crime?
Someone wants to dispose of the weapon, so they throw off end of groyne!

Yeah wrapped in plastic is strange.
Agreed It does indicate more recent handling than from 1988.
Could have been used in a crime?
Someone wants to dispose of the weapon, so they throw off end of groyne!

I suppose if you were a crook with thoughts of ditching your gun and going back later maybe, off the end of the groyne might not be a bad place to toss it and particularly if you knew that area had been searched thoroughly before by police divers.

I suppose if you were a crook with thoughts of ditching your gun and going back later maybe, off the end of the groyne might not be a bad place to toss it and particularly if you knew that area had been searched thoroughly before by police divers.
I dont know why any one would throw a gun in the sea wrapped in plastic. Wouldnt you want it to corrode as fast as possible, that being the idea of throwing it in the sea? i dont think you would have much chance of ever finding it again anyway. Only thing I can think of is they didnt want to leave any prints on the gun?? but then they would have left prints on the plastic?? or would they wash off??

I dont know why any one would throw a gun in the sea wrapped in plastic. Wouldnt you want it to corrode as fast as possible, that being the idea of throwing it in the sea? i dont think you would have much chance of ever finding it again anyway. Only thing I can think of is they didnt want to leave any prints on the gun?? but then they would have left prints on the plastic?? or would they wash off??

Forensics can take evidence from metal that's been in seawater but that's with today's technology and probably not after twenty or so years.

Could this be connected to Cutler or other crimes ?View attachment 830724

Today's post news
That gun looks really corroded. So possibly been there quite a while? If relate to JC, still doesnt give any clews? IRC Perth does not have many gun related crimes, especially not hand guns. But it does look like some thing the 'Post Card Bandit' would have used?? Is Abbott the one some have said may have been involved? Sorry can't remember!

Abbott's first bank robbery was in Perth 1987.
That gun looks really corroded. So possibly been there quite a while? If relate to JC, still doesnt give any clews? IRC Perth does not have many gun related crimes, especially not hand guns. But it does look like some thing the 'Post Card Bandit' would have used?? Is Abbott the one some have said may have been involved? Sorry can't remember!

I dont think Abbott has been put forward here but his first bank job was in Perth '87, not sure if they found his gun when he was arrested though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back