Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

All I can say after watching these blokes in two praccy matches is I hope Stocker comes on sooner rather than later and Kemp is good to go next year. My bones tell me Walsh will be A grade replacement for Murph, SPS will make it as a HBF and Fisher as a role player - thats it. I hope it is training loads or some such - but Setterfield and Dow in particular looked like draftees.

What I liked about Stocker the first time I saw him, was that his opponent paid for his possessions.
I know we're only talking about one 'silly little practice game' but this was not on show from Setterfield.
Cripps can hurt you and make you think about your approach and that what we need more from some of our guys.

I was surprised just how much Kennedy was on the back foot early last year and watching Setterfield on Saturday gave me those flash-backs.
More....you know....mongrel is needed.

Thought I would add a little to give some perspective.

It was a long road trip culminating in them spending 3 hours on the bus before the game due to the traffic. The boys were apparently "over it" before the first ball was even bounced. You could argue this is a bad attitude or that it just didn't mean enough to them.

Make of it what you will.

It was a long road trip culminating in them spending 3 hours on the bus before the game due to the traffic. The boys were apparently "over it" before the first ball was even bounced. You could argue this is a bad attitude or that it just didn't mean enough to them.

traffic in Perth on a Saturday...I don't buy it! :)

Well, hopefully next time we play in Geelong the boys get the train down.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not to be discounted I guess

How did the Dockers players get to the ground?

Polson had nowhere else to go. Put that forward months ago.
He's in the sink or swim phase of his career and I'm glad he's been given this opportunity.

Good luck to Cam.
Sample size to small to say. So far I would say he is just not a good enough footballer in general. He did though put his hand up on Sat and looked ok. Need a few more games continuously to see how he handles a number of different opponents etc

I don't know for sure but given what he put forward about us playing as we train.....there just may be something in that.

FWIW last week said something like "we train hard because under pressure we fall back to the level we train at" then called out Martin and Walsh as guys who have set standards this preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I can say after watching these blokes in two praccy matches is I hope Stocker comes on sooner rather than later and Kemp is good to go next year. My bones tell me Walsh will be A grade replacement for Murph, SPS will make it as a HBF and Fisher as a role player - thats it. I hope it is training loads or some such - but Setterfield and Dow in particular looked like draftees.
Setterfield 20 games and Dow 39 Games. They are still draftees really. Your right though it does highlight the chasm between mature mid fielders and our young crop. Walsh being an outlier. I think too much is being read into a praccy match on the road with a mix match squad. The concerning take away for me were the 'dumb football' moments. Too many. There were a number that stood out. For me dumb football is inexcusable. Lack of intensity, being second to the ball fine at this juncture you have no read on individual instructions, load management and all that. Kids are not going to be switched on often. Setterfield for example, Sat was no reflection of were he has got himself to. Dumb football though indicates that players cannot think through a situation under game conditions, and this is far less pressure than season proper. Maybe it is mindset but turning back into traffic, not standing ball side of your opponent and hence being second to the ball on the turnover, kicking blindly around corners into the corridor, running back toward goal two on one and not being able to convert makes you scratch your head at times. It is often the same culprits which is also telling. As I have said though, let's reconvene mid season break. Much of the angst on here will have answered itself by then. Let the games begin..... Pls!

I didn't see the game and can't be stuffed watching the replay after reading the comments here

But regarding Setterfield, I feel like his not a self starter/ ultimate competitor, but when he is on he'll be dominate.

Fine if we have Walsh and Cripps to get him going

What I liked about Stocker the first time I saw him, was that his opponent paid for his possessions.
I know we're only talking about one 'silly little practice game' but this was not on show from Setterfield.
Cripps can hurt you and make you think about your approach and that what we need more from some of our guys.

I was surprised just how much Kennedy was on the back foot early last year and watching Setterfield on Saturday gave me those flash-backs.
More....you know....mongrel is needed.

Allow me to be diplomatic and put my view this way - we are carrying a few 'short steppers' unfortunately.

Allow me to be diplomatic and put my view this way - we are carrying a few 'short steppers' unfortunately.

I’m going to name a few that I think fit that mould:
Lang
LOB
Fisher

Doesn’t mean they’re bad players or should be delisted/traded, just don’t see fierce attack on the ball/man as their strong suit.
LOB & Fish are so outmatched physically against most senior players that they are probably justified in being somewhat tentative.
Lang is purely a depth player IMO.
The only reason he should be keeping a young player out of the seniors is if he adds something they don’t - reliable, consistent effort; above avg disposal; poise under pressure. Sadly he is found wanting in these areas far too often. I don’t want to gift young players games, but if the choice is between persisting with Lang or getting meaningful game time into a Stocker/Philp/etc I know which I’d vote for.

Careful there OTF.

2 of those you named copped broken legs.

Doubt a player’s commitment, ability......fine.

Courage, don’t doubt that.

To be honest, anyone who steps on a football field is courageous in my book.
Saying that a player is not fierce at the ball is not calling them weak. Not everyone can be Glenn Archer.
The fact you brought up about the history of broken legs is clear justification for being tentative. I have a history of kneecap dislocation, so I freely admit to being very wary of that over the years.
That said, I don’t think any of the 3 I mentioned are notorious for full-bodied attack on the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back