Game Day Marsh Series - Carlton v Fremantle Saturday 29 Feb 7.10pm (EST) @ David Grays Arena

Why didn’t they hotel it in Mandurah .? Doesn’t make sense .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who knows? Not sure it’s that unusual - I would expect them to have stayed in Perth.

Its only 70 odd kilometres away.

3 hours sounds like rubbish to me unless they went around in circles for about 90 minutes.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Who knows? Not sure it’s that unusual - I would expect them to have stayed in Perth.

Its only 70 odd kilometres away.

3 hours sounds like rubbish to me unless they went around in circles for about 90 minutes.

Yeah J agree . The poster seemed to have intel in the way he phrased his post .

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Finally got around to watching the game

• Fisher was by far the cleanest of our players.
  • Weitering was also very good, considering the way the ball was coming in.
  • Gibbons was busy, will remain in the side for round 1
  • Martin showed class and will start forward while spending time further up the ground/middle. I think it is the right move
  • Kennedy started slow, lacked touch but worked hard to get into the game
  • Jack really needs to work on his goal kicking. Irritates me that players don't kick through the ball even if only 20 metres out
  • TDK showed some nice things, needs to be fast tracked, as the likes or Krooz and Pittonet are really ineffective after a bounce (this is our most glaring weakness
  • Polson did well as a small defender, made some errors but continued to back himself. Still he is not a backman and really needs to be played as a midfielder, even if that is at VFL level
  • Levi seemed to be mistiming contests, hopefully that will improve as the season progresses
  • DOC was poor. I know he had some attention, but his disposal was not naturally effective, sure that will improve with more games
  • Setters seemed to ball watch a little, a lot actually, but again he has enough class to improve this aspect
  • Cuners continued lack of awareness needs to be addressed. All of his coaches have either persevered with him as either a ball hunting onballer or a HFF. Cuners needs to be assigned a run with role, taken to the ball and then use his strength and speed to beat his opponent
A few glaring issues with what I saw

• Lack of discipline by many of our players, whether that was attempting to mark from behind, or allowing direct opponents to have way to much space.
  • Not given the first option, which either placed teammates out of position, or allowed the Dockers to close up options. Walsh was the main perpetrator, despite getting a fair bit of the pill. Cuners another culprit, which effects his cleanliness
  • As mentioned previously, need to prioritize a ruck/forward to partner TDK in the future
  • Our midfield is still our weakest area/still developing.
  • Dow needs time are the lower level to hunt the footy as a traditional centreman
  • Hopefully our kick in tactics are not what Teague rolled out in this game, really second rate
Still staggers me that a guy like Banfield was overlooked in his draft year, then taken as a rookie a year later. The kid is disciplined and hard at the footy.

Philp continues to impress with his intent, want to see more next week. Seems like there could be up to 10 players that would be in consideration for round 1, if they get over their niggles/injuries/slow start to the preseason

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Finally got around to watching the game

• Fisher was by far the cleanest of our players.
  • Weitering was also very good, considering the way the ball was coming in.
  • Gibbons was busy, will remain in the side for round 1
  • Martin showed class and will start forward while spending time further up the ground/middle. I think it is the right move
  • Kennedy started slow, lacked touch but worked hard to get into the game
  • Jack really needs to work on his goal kicking. Irritates me that players don't kick through the ball even if only 20 metres out
  • TDK showed some nice things, needs to be fast tracked, as the likes or Krooz and Pittonet are really ineffective after a bounce (this is our most glaring weakness
  • Polson did well as a small defender, made some errors but continued to back himself. Still he is not a backman and really needs to be played as a midfielder, even if that is at VFL level
  • Levi seemed to be mistiming contests, hopefully that will improve as the season progresses
  • DOC was poor. I know he had some attention, but his disposal was not naturally effective, sure that will improve with more games
  • Setters seemed to ball watch a little, a lot actually, but again he has enough class to improve this aspect
  • Cuners continued lack of awareness needs to be addressed. All of his coaches have either persevered with him as either a ball hunting onballer or a HFF. Cuners needs to be assigned a run with role, taken to the ball and then use his strength and speed to beat his opponent
A few glaring issues with what I saw

• Lack of discipline by many of our players, whether that was attempting to mark from behind, or allowing direct opponents to have way to much space.
  • Not given the first option, which either placed teammates out of position, or allowed the Dockers to close up options. Walsh was the main perpetrator, despite getting a fair bit of the pill. Cuners another culprit, which effects his cleanliness
  • As mentioned previously, need to prioritize a ruck/forward to partner TDK in the future
  • Our midfield is still our weakest area/still developing.
  • Dow needs time are the lower level to hunt the footy as a traditional centreman
  • Hopefully our kick in tactics are not what Teague rolled out in this game, really second rate
Still staggers me that a guy like Banfield was overlooked in his draft year, then taken as a rookie a year later. The kid is disciplined and hard at the footy.

Philp continues to impress with his intent, want to see more next week. Seems like there could be up to 10 players that would be in consideration for round 1, if they get over their niggles/injuries/slow start to the preseason

Strange, I finally got around to watching the game last night and thought Gibbons was busy but every time he got the ball he turned it over and was one of the worst culprits at just bombing the ball into the forward line to no one. Confirmed to me why I have him out of the side. Also despite being so "busy" from memory he ended up with roughly the same possessions as Cuningham, Dow and Setterfield but didn't lay a tackle.

Other observations - Cunningham and Dow proved why they are polarising players - what they did was generally very good but they didn't do it enough. I would still give them ahead of some others based on their ability to create something out of traffic.
We actually controlled big sections of the game just our ball use, particularly going inside 50, was terrible. It also didn't help that we were missing pretty much our entire starting forward line.
Darcy Lang shouldn't be on our list, fumbled everything.
Centre square work was very good.
Did Ed spend anytime in the middle? Seemed to be playing a similar forward role to the start of last year which indicated to me that this was more about giving the young blokes time in the middle than winning.
Weitering was sensational.
I would have been filthy if I was Jack, worked his arse off but how many times did his teammates hit his feet or kick it out on the full with what should have been simple passes.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Strange, I finally got around to watching the game last night and thought Gibbons was busy but every time he got the ball he turned it over and was one of the worst culprits at just bombing the ball into the forward line to no one. Confirmed to me why I have him out of the side. Also despite being so "busy" from memory he ended up with roughly the same possessions as Cuningham, Dow and Setterfield but didn't lay a tackle.

Other observations - Cunningham and Dow proved why they are polarising players - what they did was generally very good but they didn't do it enough. I would still give them ahead of some others based on their ability to create something out of traffic.
We actually controlled big sections of the game just our ball use, particularly going inside 50, was terrible. It also didn't help that we were missing pretty much our entire starting forward line.
Darcy Lang shouldn't be on our list, fumbled everything.
Centre square work was very good.
Did Ed spend anytime in the middle? Seemed to be playing a similar forward role to the start of last year which indicated to me that this was more about giving the young blokes time in the middle than winning.
Weitering was sensational.
I would have been filthy if I was Jack, worked his arse off but how many times did his teammates hit his feet or kick it out on the full with what should have been simple passes.

Dow's DE was strong, 87%. Just didn't get enough of it for playing majority midfield.

Cuners led our pressure acts with 22, but his DE was really poor 50%. Caught a couple of times when he should have given the first option, smothered twice, really poor awareness

Gibbons had 6 I50's and had a DE of 71%, think he stays in

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Why didn’t they hotel it in Mandurah .? Doesn’t make sense .

I think they did. Some of the boys instagram posts were of them riding bikes around mandurah.

In regards to the 3hrs of traffic that just didn't happen.

I drove from Hillayrs (northern suburb of Perth) to the ground in just under 90mins. The team were there before me as i saw Teaguey at the canteen getting a roll about an hour before the game.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Dow's DE was strong, 87%. Just didn't get enough of it for playing majority midfield.

Cuners led our pressure acts with 22, but his DE was really poor 50%. Caught a couple of times when he should have given the first option, smothered twice, really poor awareness

71% isn't good and Gibbons DE was high because of the nature of his kicks, an effective kick is defined as;

"A kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team or a kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession."

Gibbons kicks were generally long bombs into the forward line where Fremantle spoiled and cleared the ball, defined as an effective kick but it really isn't.

A passage of play that summed things up for me was about half way through the first quarter (from memory) from the centre clearance Dow won the ball and found Gibbons in space at the front edge of the square with a creative handball - with ball in hand in that position and that space from a centre clearance we should have been hitting up a target and scoring, instead Gibbons bombed long to the square where Logue intercepted.

I wouldn't say Cunners errors were poor awareness, just that he has been instructed to take the game on, sometimes it doesn't come off but I want to see him continue to try because eventually it will.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
71% isn't good and Gibbons DE was high because of the nature of his kicks, an effective kick is defined as;

"A kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team or a kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession."

Gibbons kicks were generally long bombs into the forward line where Fremantle spoiled and cleared the ball, defined as an effective kick but it really isn't.

A passage of play that summed things up for me was about half way through the first quarter (from memory) from the centre clearance Dow won the ball and found Gibbons in space at the front edge of the square with a creative handball - with ball in hand in that position and that space from a centre clearance we should have been hitting up a target and scoring, instead Gibbons bombed long to the square where Logue intercepted.

I wouldn't say Cunners errors were poor awareness, just that he has been instructed to take the game on, sometimes it doesn't come off but I want to see him continue to try because eventually it will.

Gibbons wasn't the only one bombing it long. I know you and others like Stamos don't rate him, but compare his current (as well as last year) output and he is miles ahead of others such as Dow, Cuners, Newnes etc

Cuners awareness, game sense is poor, hence why I suggest he should be given a run with role off a wing, takes him to the ball, then use his speed to burn players off

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Can't trust effective disposal stats. They list turnovers as effective if you kick it long enough.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Thought I would add a little to give some perspective.

It was a long road trip culminating in them spending 3 hours on the bus before the game due to the traffic. The boys were apparently "over it" before the first ball was even bounced. You could argue this is a bad attitude or that it just didn't mean enough to them.

Make of it what you will.

It's appr 70-75km from Perth to Mandurah and less than 1hr drive by car.

Find it hard to believe a bus trip took 3hrs even in traffic.

Macca43

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Gibbons wasn't the only one bombing it long. I know you and others like Stamos don't rate him, but compare his current (as well as last year) output and he is miles ahead of others such as Dow, Cuners, Newnes etc

Cuners awareness, game sense is poor, hence why I suggest he should be given a run with role off a wing, takes him to the ball, then use his speed to burn players off
I didn't say that he was, just that he was one of the biggest offenders. How many of his 6 inside 50's actually resulted in us retaining possession or hitting the scoreboard?

Its not that I "don't rate him" simply that I don't have him "miles ahead" of Dow or Cuningham, on the weekend they all played a similar role, had a similar number of possessions, all did some good things and some bad things but to me Dow and Cuningham looked more likely to make something happen with ball in hand than Gibbons and from the stats I saw on Saturday night Gibbons didn't lay a tackle while the others had multiple - that to me has Gibbons just behind in a tight race, not a "mile ahead".

Newnes didn't impress me at all and I have never had him in my calculations for round 1.

I also went in expecting Williamson to have a shocker based on the comments here but I thought he was pretty solid.

Back