Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
On-field performance (1st vs 3rd)
  • 4th overall in terms of W-L record behind Geelong, Hawthorn and Sydney.
  • 1 flag equal to Geelong, Sydney, Western Bulldogs and West Coast and behind Hawthorn (3 flags) and Richmond (2 flags).
  • 3 grand final appearances equal with Sydney (3 grand finals) and only behind Hawthorn (4 grand finals).
  • 6 finals appearances equal with Richmond. Clubs ahead of them are Geelong (9 finals), Sydney (9 finals), Hawthorn (8 finals) and West Coast (7 finals).
Years since flag (0 vs 9)
  • Richmond (0 years)
  • West Coast (1 year)
  • Western Bulldogs (3 years)
  • Hawthorn (4 years)
  • Sydney (7 years)
  • Geelong (8 years)
  • Collingwood (9 years)
  • Port Adelaide (15 years)
Home crowds (1st vs 2nd)

AVERAGE HOME CROWDS
  • 2010 = 63,256 (1st)
  • 2011 = 61,488 (1st)
  • 2012 = 59,799 (1st)
  • 2013 = 55,487 (1st)
  • 2014 = 48,009 (2nd) - behind Adelaide (48,046)
  • 2015 = 47,259 (2nd) - behind Richmond (49,877)
  • 2016 = 46,188 (2nd) - behind Adelaide (46,784)
  • 2017 = 46,815 (3rd) - behind Richmond (55,950) and Essendon (50,812)
  • 2018 = 49,898 (3rd) - behind Richmond (61,175) and West Coast (53,250)
  • 2019 = 58,975 (2nd) - behind Richmond (59,987)
Membership?
  • 2010 = 57,617 (1st)
  • 2011 = 71,271 (1st)
  • 2012 = 72,688 (1st)
  • 2013 = 80,456 (1st)
  • 2014 = 80,793 (1st)
  • 2015 = 76,497 (1st)
  • 2016 = 74,819 (2nd) - behind Hawthorn (75,351)
  • 2017 = 75,985 (1st)
  • 2018 = 75,507 (5th) - behind Richmond (100,726), Hawthorn (80,302), West Coast (80,290) and Essendon (79,319)
  • 2019 = 85,226 (3rd) - behind Richmond (103,358) and West Coast (90,445)
Revenue?
  • 2010 = $75,524,500 (1st)
  • 2011 = $75,592,030 (1st)
  • 2012 = $69,249,166 (1st)
  • 2013 = $75,238,531 (1st)
  • 2014 = $76,819,714 (1st)
  • 2015 = $66,485,870 (2nd) - behind Hawthorn ($70,986,527)
  • 2016 = $71,475,457 (1st)
  • 2017 = $77,736,469 (1st)
  • 2018 = $82,074,011 (2nd) - behind West Coast ($82,265,015)
  • 2019 = $72,558,512 (3rd) - behind Richmond ($92,244,775) and West Coast ($88,660,496)
Profits?

NET PROFIT (LOSS)
  • 2010 = $1,700,724
  • 2011 = $2,141,736
  • 2012 = $7,835,080
  • 2013 = $5,225,741
  • 2014 = $2,017,992
  • 2015 = $848,076
  • 2016 = ($2,622,623)
  • 2017 = ($2,732,624)
  • 2018 = $112,052
  • 2019 = $3,875,111

Interestingly from 2018 to 2019 there was a $10m drop in revenue but ~ a $3m turnaround in profit. Do any Pies supporters know what happened between those 2 years for such a marked turnaround?

HardcoreGeelongFan

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
St Kilda
You could argue after 2004 was too long. But would like to see how he goes over a few years with Bucks away from the club

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
This, they let Richmond slide on by to become the competitions giant on and off the field.

And this after Eddy moved the club out of Collingwood and as close to Punt road Oval as he could get, and still was asleep at the helm as it happened.

Eddie and the pies are in a communal comfort zone, they aren't challenging each other to become better IMO
This sermon is so far off the money it’s not funny, when Collingwood moved from Victoria Park to Olympic Park it was seen as an amazing feat.....At the time ( & probably still today ) he angered a lot of the historians of the 1956 Olympics because he took over the old Olympic pool area....Eddie at the time was well aware that Collingwood would slip behind it’s rivals if it didn’t move down Hoddle street to the sports precinct itself. That is also why he made the deal for the Magpies to have the Social club & cheersquad be seated in the Ponsford stand.... So fans could literally walk straight out over the bridge to the club....Richmonds extra premiership has exactly 0% to do with what Eddie has done for Collingwood.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
There is already, it's $50 and must be a person, i.e no pets.

Membership revenue shows that most of the top clubs revenue is about correct for the numbers and home crowd numbers as well, except maybe WCE that are still limited by stadium size and with a bigger stadium would be the biggest club in all likelyhood.

WC also have a (semi) captive market. If we had a 100,000 seat stadium it's unlikely we'd have 100,000 members and get 100,000 to each game. 60-70,000 is about the sweet spot for memberships to remain desirable. Our financial strength has always been underpinned by a strong base of financial members. The cheapest 11 game membership is $410 and the categories go up in hundreds from there until you get to the $1195 and $1675 ones (which are still just seats, no food or drink included). There are now limited 3/5 game flexi memberships (sold out) that were never available at Subiaco. I don't know the exact breakdown per category but it wouldn't surprise me if the average revenue per member is $60-70+ per game. That's a huge leg up going into each season, not just because it's high but because it's consistent year to year.

The AFL has a funny 'biggest is best' thing going on. Every Rd 1 we have Richmond vs Carlton and the AFL high 5 each other when 85,000 people turn up even though it's a dud game and for a good part of the late 2000s/early to mid 2010s both teams were ordinary. Geelong play out of KP, Hawthorn play 4/11 in Launceston, Sydney play out of the SCG, WC played in a 43k stadium for years... all these teams have built successful programs without being the highest drawing per year.

As far as Richmond goes I don't know how many supporters they actually have. To still get big crowds after 30 years of crap is pretty amazing, and filling the MCG for a prelim against GWS - wowee. Now they are at their peak the bandwagon will be adding new supporters, not just drawing long suffering ones out of the woodwork.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
WC also have a (semi) captive market. If we had a 100,000 seat stadium it's unlikely we'd have 100,000 members and get 100,000 to each game. 60-70,000 is about the sweet spot for memberships to remain desirable. Our financial strength has always been underpinned by a strong base of financial members. The cheapest 11 game membership is $410 and the categories go up in hundreds from there until you get to the $1195 and $1675 ones (which are still just seats, no food or drink included). There are now limited 3/5 game flexi memberships (sold out) that were never available at Subiaco. I don't know the exact breakdown per category but it wouldn't surprise me if the average revenue per member is $60-70+ per game. That's a huge leg up going into each season, not just because it's high but because it's consistent year to year.

The AFL has a funny 'biggest is best' thing going on. Every Rd 1 we have Richmond vs Carlton and the AFL high 5 each other when 85,000 people turn up even though it's a dud game and for a good part of the late 2000s/early to mid 2010s both teams were ordinary. Geelong play out of KP, Hawthorn play 4/11 in Launceston, Sydney play out of the SCG, WC played in a 43k stadium for years... all these teams have built successful programs without being the highest drawing per year.

As far as Richmond goes I don't know how many supporters they actually have. To still get big crowds after 30 years of crap is pretty amazing, and filling the MCG for a prelim against GWS - wowee. Now they are at their peak the bandwagon will be adding new supporters, not just drawing long suffering ones out of the woodwork.
Our revenue has passed Collingwood so member numbers are likely correct, of course I as an interstate member I pay somewhere between $90 and $120 but rarely use it, so thats my donation to the club.
We do have 70k+ roll over members currently which is great for a clubs forward planning.

Back in the 70's and 80's we would draw about 50k -60k averages to home games which is big numbers and now were back from the dark hole we were in we get similar attendances and our TV numbers are right up there as well.

In our 37 years in the wilderness we were flat broke, worse facilities in the comp and had no full time recruiters, its amazing what Gale has done for the club and with the cash often cones sustained success.

Of course financially the Eagles are on another level with massive cash reserves, way in front of other clubs, but we're gradually closing in.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
This sermon is so far off the money it’s not funny, when Collingwood moved from Victoria Park to Olympic Park it was seen as an amazing feat.....At the time ( & probably still today ) he angered a lot of the historians of the 1956 Olympics because he took over the old Olympic pool area....Eddie at the time was well aware that Collingwood would slip behind it’s rivals if it didn’t move down Hoddle street to the sports precinct itself. That is also why he made the deal for the Magpies to have the Social club & cheersquad be seated in the Ponsford stand.... So fans could literally walk straight out over the bridge to the club....Richmonds extra premiership has exactly 0% to do with what Eddie has done for Collingwood.
Exhibit A. You see a shiny Lexus Centre, but swept under the carpet is:
-The pies left the good people of Collingwood with a near 11 million dollar clean up bill when they upped stumps at Vic Park.

-The mayor of Collingwood herself said the club had robbed the community.

-Yarra council asked the club to split that bill and still the club refused to pay so the council threatened legal action. (Didn't follow the conclusion to that, anyone know?)

All up a very shoddy way to treat the heartland of the club after 100+ years of support. Imagine the Cats doing that to the people of Geelong!

But as I said, all you saw was the shiny new Lexus Centre and an 'amazing feat'. (Not your fault, it's lot to do with control of mass media, I lived locally and saw lots of this in the local paper, even I didn't see what was the result of the threatened legal action)

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Eddie is battling in a major, major way, I wonder if any potential candidate may now start to see it as do-able.

If Eddie continues to be a walking joke in the media, the blitz of attacks that any other presidential candidate would receive may not have as much punch.

Blasting out Eddie is still going to be an enormous task. He's fortified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gordon Farkas

Team Captain
Mar 8, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Will Eddie ever go? Is he president for life, planning a 40 or 50 year term?

How old are Eddie's sons? He'll probably go when he thinks one of them is old enough to take over.

I don't see it as a 'president for life' situation, more like a family dynasty. Something along the lines of...

Kim Dynasty.jpg

jakson68

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2008
Port Noarlunga
AFL Club
Collingwood
How long is too long?
For as long as the Collingwood people want him. I think we may have a better idea what is best for our club, than outsiders. When it is time, the members will decide and nobody else.
His tenure won't be decided by opposition supporters on a football forum, nor will it be decided by a few half-wit reporters (yes that is you slobbo) who he has annoyed over time.
As shown on this and other forums and in every news service, whenever there is a chance to kick Collingwood, people jump at it.
He sticks up for the club and although at times he may have foot in mouth disease, as long as his heart is black and white and he looks out for the club.
Then that is good enough for me.
Simple fact is, quite a few of you knockers and haters would love to have somebody with his passion at your club, you just can't bring yourselves to admit it.

BronCrow

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
How long is too long?
For as long as the Collingwood people want him. I think we may have a better idea what is best for our club, than outsiders. When it is time, the members will decide and nobody else.
His tenure won't be decided by opposition supporters on a football forum, nor will it be decided by a few half-wit reporters (yes that is you slobbo) who he has annoyed over time.
As shown on this and other forums and in every news service, whenever there is a chance to kick Collingwood, people jump at it.
He sticks up for the club and although at times he may have foot in mouth disease, as long as his heart is black and white and he looks out for the club.
Simple fact is, quite a few of you knockers and haters would love to have somebody with his passion at your club, you just can't bring yourselves to admit it.
You be thankful that the members have the right to decide who gets to be on the board and president of the Collingwood Football Club.

Many of us can only dream of being able to have the right to vote in and out the board members and president of their respective clubs.

Your last part is correct, I would kill to have Eddie over Rob Chapman in a heartbeat, as would most Crows supporters if they were honest with themselves.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
How long is too long?

Well no, that’s the whole point.

The members don’t get a say.

When’s the last time somebody ran against him?

Why do you think that is?

Eddie will decide when it’s time, not Collingwood members.

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
How long is too long?
Like your President you blame others for your predicament and play the victim. The answer to your problem is clean up your own backyard.

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
You be thankful that the members have the right to decide who gets to be on the board and president of the Collingwood Football Club.

Many of us can only dream of being able to have the right to vote in and out the board members and president of their respective clubs.

Your last part is correct, I would kill to have Eddie over Rob Chapman in a heartbeat, as would most Crows supporters if they were honest with themselves.
Not all members at Collingwood have voting rights, far from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back