Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
We as a board/club are very adverse to it, because on the flip side, we've rarely lost players like other clubs.

Loyalty is a pillar of the club.

However, it seems to be at our detriment with one of the longest GF droughts in the league at the moment.

The cushiest AFL career is at North at times....

We were one of the most active sides (at also losing players) during the Pagan era, it coincided with one of our most successful areas. We also built one of the largest draft hands in history for a contending side over multiple years.

Losing players isn't the sky is falling type scenario, especially if they are in serious demand, often it's the way clubs generate a way of moving forward.

See Melbourne/Hogan and Port Adelaide's 2018.
Other clubs don’t offer anything substantial for our players - is the more likely reason.

Not against your concept in a blanket fashion but as of today Melbourne & Port Adelaide's 2018 do not arguably prove a case of "moving forward".

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
We as a board/club are very adverse to it, because on the flip side, we've rarely lost players like other clubs.

Loyalty is a pillar of the club.

However, it seems to be at our detriment with one of the longest GF droughts in the league at the moment.

The cushiest AFL career is at North at times....

We were one of the most active sides (at also losing players) during the Pagan era, it coincided with one of our most successful areas. We also built one of the largest draft hands in history for a contending side over multiple years.

Losing players isn't the sky is falling type scenario, especially if they are in serious demand, often it's the way clubs generate a way of moving forward.

I can't think of a single recent premier who traded out genuine best 22 or core clubmen (at the club's instigation) as part of their build.

The nearest equivalent was Hawthorn/Croad but they bought him back for half-price and still got a flag out of him.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can't think of a single recent premier who traded out genuine best 22 or core clubmen (at the club's instigation) as part of their build.

The nearest equivalent was Hawthorn/Croad but they bought him back for half-price and still got a flag out of him.

Good point.

Deledio was pushed, it’s arguable where he was at as player.

Griffen made the decision to leave.

Ablett and Buddy left through free agency.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course we should have traded Goldy, Higgins and Dumont (while he had value after a good year)- Not even up for debate IMO. I would have considered trading Ziebell and Brown too, but eh, I rate us much lower than many.
You don't trade elite players like Higgins and Goldstein for magic beans.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You don't trade elite players like Higgins and Goldstein for magic beans.

You need to take a risk, if you want to be successful.

We could have traded both Higgo and Goldy and ended up with 2 top 20 picks.

We could have drafted two highly regarded youngsters with those 2 picks….two 200 game players.

But then there is always the risk we pick up two duds with those picks.

That’s the risk you take….

Personally, I would have taken the risk and got more youngsters into the club.

By giving Goldy and Higgo 3 more years, we achieved :

1. We avoid bottoming out for another 2-3 years. (or being middle of the road again for another 3 years).
  2. Goldy and Higgo have 3 more years to plan their lives post football.

As a fan, that’s not good enough for me…

Get games into Taylor, Hosie, Xerri, etc.

And get more kids in the club…..

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

We could have drafted two highly regarded youngsters with those 2 picks….two 200 game players.

1. We avoid bottoming out for another 2-3 years. (or being middle of the road again for another 3 years).

So who would you have liked us to draft with our two picks in the 20s.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
Trading out the core of the club did wonders for Melbourne, only took them a decade to recover. There is a balance though - I fear that we would fret over the prospect of a Macmillan/McDonald playing for someone else.

Jindrrk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2016
Macau
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
*, St Dwarves, Lolmond
Only 4 pages since I last logged in? Pathetic. LIFT YOUR GAME

IT'S HAPPENING FOR SHAW THIS TIME

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When will we learn..... It's like groundhog day. Every year for the last 15 years.

I'd rather we actually try and do the opposite, generate another first rounder through trading and go to the draft with a Freo 2019 style hand.

Whilst the Melbourne trade looked great on paper in 2019 and we can't really lose from a points perspective, this wont end nearly as nicely as some think. Melbourne's going to make the 8 imo. I can see that pick being around 15-20 once bids come in.

As much as people will hate this, we need to look at the Bulldogs as an example of what to do. They've built a very deep core of good young players, drafted and developed genuine young league wide superstars/stars (Bontempelli/Macrae/Dunkley/Naughton) and built a list FA's will naturally be attracted to.

We are trying to do things in reverse and the evidence is there that it absolutely does not work. We've only been able to attract players with significant question marks at the time and turn them around (Higgins, Waite, Anderson etc) or probably overpaid from both a salary/pick perspective (Polec).

I'm not saying we should shut the door on FA/trading as there's a balance and a good way of infilling needs on the list. As I think the strategy of taking good young players off GWS on the cheap (Bonar, Ahern) is a good one, I'd be all in on someone like Caldwell this year, given Hateley and Green look like getting major minutes this year.

We need to develop some genuine young superstars ourselves before we are able to attract the players we think we should be getting.

1 pick a year isn't getting that done. We need more volume.

The issue is we're scared to spend significant time at the foot of the ladder. We feel we'd become talk of the town for relocation and we saw how the mighty Fitzroy got shafted media would have a field day. I sometimes feel success hasn't been our aim, we're more vested in survival. I hope that changes, but will require an upswing in membership numbers to ensure our safety. We though have only ourselves to blame for poor recruiting. Again I feel we're fixing that. I was once on the early draft picks are necessary. Zurhaar, Larkey, Taylor, Comben, Perez, Xerri, Hayden, Hosie, Mahony and Scott will all have better or equal careers than; Garner, Durdin, McKay and possibly McDonald imo of course. ( 4 first rounders:eek)

In no particular order.....

Tigers

Dogs

West Coast

Collingwood

Geelong- 9 games at the cattery, puts them in a decent position to push for the eight imo

GWS

Brissy- building nicely 11 home games

Then there's Sydney, North, Port & the Dees. No certainty for the eight imo.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the year doesn't go well, there's a significant amount of our guys out of contract and we would very easily be able to pull the trigger on a rebuild. Especially since we already have two first round draft picks. A rebuild probably isn't the right word, but at the moment there's 22 guys out of contract and I think there's only six of those who I'd give an extra year to regardless of form right now. We've got some genuine talent on the list, but at this stage it's fair to say that we don't have the right guys surrounding them.

We're lucky that, perhaps by design, we're going to get such a strong opportunity for Rawlings, Shaw and Luff to put their stamp on North Melbourne and forge a new identity. I think 2020 is still going to have a lot of the Scott/Joyce smell lingering on at the club, but by 2021 this should be Rawlings/Shaw's team.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the year doesn't go well, there's a significant amount of our guys out of contract and we would very easily be able to pull the trigger on a rebuild. Especially since we already have two first round draft picks. A rebuild probably isn't the right word, but at the moment there's 22 guys out of contract and I think there's only six of those who I'd give an extra year to regardless of form right now. We've got some genuine talent on the list, but at this stage it's fair to say that we don't have the right guys surrounding them.

We're lucky that, perhaps by design, we're going to get such a strong opportunity for Rawlings, Shaw and Luff to put their stamp on North Melbourne and forge a new identity. I think 2020 is still going to have a lot of the Scott/Joyce smell lingering on at the club, but by 2021 this should be Rawlings/Shaw's team.
Time for an aggresive reset you say?

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

No club would have given up a top 20 pick for Higgins or Goldy. Possibly a late teens pick for Higgins, but not Goldy. They’re both well over 30 and clubs just don’t give up 1st round picks for players over 30.

If clubs did pay up for them with decent picks, I would be in your camp and cashing in with them. But for a mid 20’s pick (which is what I think we would have got at best),I would rather keep them and let them help develop the younger brigade.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the club did put the feelers out and see what sort of compensation we would have got. No one really knows what happens behind closed doors. Potentially we were looking at trading one or two of them out to improve our draft hand. It’s easy to say we should have just traded good players out for good picks, but the other club has to agree to it also.

At the end of the day we’re not going to let elite players go unless we’re well compensated and there is a good chance clubs didn’t want to pay up for players over 30.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

In what way do you think we will have a lot of smell lingering around from Scott and Joyce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back