Injury The OFFICIAL Injury Updates thread - 2 weeks

That was what's reported.

Remove him, Polec who's playing Monday, Tarrant and Hall who played the Friday gone. There'd be zero chance Cunnington misses Rd1. Brown and Ziebell are likely to possible rd 1.

All of a sudden it's not so bad.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I think the realistic list is Turner, LDU, Jacobs - wtf knows how long.
EVW same but hopefully sooner.
Hayden and Perez ten weeks.

Maybe Brown and JZ for a week into the season. Maybe.

So nothing like as bad as it seemed. At least that's what I'm hoping for and assuming.

Turner and LDU will cost us. The others ... It's nothing we've missed out on since last season, we effectively haven't used those other guys last year. Asuming Brown and JZ play.

It gives other players opportunities. Specifically the young mids and forwards. I'm thinking of Bonar, Scott, eventually Hayden, maybe Walker. Obviously Jy and Tarryn.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
So the updated injury list would be something along the lines of:

Turner (foot) - 12 to 16 weeks
Polec (foot) - 2 weeks
Ziebell (calf) - ?
Brown (calf) - ?
Davies-Uniake (groin) - ?
Jacobs (sinus/concussion) - ?
EVW (knee) - ?
Perez (knee) - 10 weeks
Bonar (Hamstring) - ?
Cunnington (Hip) - ?
Hayden (Achilles) - 10 weeks
W.Walker (Knee) - available
Tarrant (foot) - available
McGuinness (back) - available
Hall (back spasm) - available

I'd say it's more like this

Turner (foot) - 15 to 18 weeks
Polec (foot) - test
Ziebell (calf) - 2 weeks
Brown (calf) - 2 weeks
Davies-Uniake (groin) - Indefinate
Jacobs (sinus/concussion) - Season
EVW (knee) - 12 weeks
Perez (knee) - 10 weeks
Bonar (Hamstring) - Test
Cunnington (Hip) - Test

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So nothing like as bad as it seemed. At least that's what I'm hoping for and assuming.

The first few rounds may well be hell on earth though. Lot of blokes coming in potentially under prepared, and with the way our teams have looked (both in terms of personel playing together AND their performances) in the pre-season games I'd say that even if our round 1 team is pretty close to our 'best' they will be lacking some serious synergy.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd say it's more like this

Turner (foot) - 15 to 18 weeks
Polec (foot) - test
Ziebell (calf) - 2 weeks
Brown (calf) - 2 weeks
Davies-Uniake (groin) - Indefinate
Jacobs (sinus/concussion) - Season
EVW (knee) - 12 weeks
Perez (knee) - 10 weeks
Bonar (Hamstring) - Test
Cunnington (Hip) - Test

not exactly the most ideal injury list leading into round 1

The first few rounds may well be hell on earth though. Lot of blokes coming in potentially under prepared, and with the way our teams have looked (both in terms of personel playing together AND their performances) in the pre-season games I'd say that even if our round 1 team is pretty close to our 'best' they will be lacking some serious synergy.

So long as its better than last year or 2015.

Screenshot_20200303-183811_Chrome.jpg

Not good enough. This happens every year like clockwork. Preseason we get the bullshit fluff pieces from the club and then after the first hitout in the pre-season competition the injury list surprises like a speeding fine in the mail multied into the car registration bill.

The culture and mentality of the place has been something shocking for a long time.
We literally have footballers incapable of adhering and applying themselves to the rigours of AFL level football in a clean bit of health.

I honestly believe having a temporary 1 year contract policy until these amateurs reach a level acceptable by Brady and Rhys is the extremes we have to go to.

Club and player have been taking the piss for far too long.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Not good enough. This happens every year like clockwork. Preseason we get the bullshit fluff pieces from the club and then after the first hitout in the pre-season competition the injury list surprises like a speeding fine in the mail multied into the car registration bill.

The culture and mentality of the place has been something shocking for a long time.
We literally have footballers incapable of adhering and applying themselves to the rigours of AFL level football in a clean bit of health.

I honestly believe having a temporary 1 year contract policy until these amateurs reach a level acceptable by Brady and Rhys is the extremes we have to go to.

At this stage I have some belief in Rhyce (and even morseo in Brady) so unless went really sour will hold off proper judgement for at least a season.

So with that in mind I'll place stock in the way Rhyce spoke at the Season Launch. I think he was conned by his own troops who probably know exactly how to tick the boxes in preseason to sell their case to the coach.

His surprise and frustration in the gameday meeting footage looked genuine. It's a long climb ahead, he has to correct the intensity and week to week focus of a group who have excelled in fluctuation and going flaccid at the sign of expectation.

He's going to learn he's not in Sydney 2012 or Collingwood 2002 pretty quickly.

At this stage I have some belief in Rhyce (and even morseo in Brady) so unless went really sour will hold off proper judgement for at least a season.

So with that in mind I'll place stock in the way Rhyce spoke at the Season Launch. I think he was conned by his own troops who probably know exactly how to tick the boxes in preseason to sell their case to the coach.

His surprise and frustration in the gameday meeting footage looked genuine. It's a long climb ahead, he has to correct the intensity and week to week focus of a group who have excelled in fluctuation and going flaccid at the sign of expectation.

It is a hard job to fix ingrained issues on an AFL list. If this was a professional soccer club, the coach could have simply sold 5-6 senior players and would have completely revamped the list to get his message across. But given the AFL player movement limitations, it is hard to cut out the cancer if you find one. Our issues seem to run deeper than can be rectified by moving on the senior coach and virtually the entire football department. Seems like some senior players may need to be culled too. Not going to name names, as I am not close enough to the "inner scrotum", but it certainly looks like there is a problem somewhere there.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
It is a hard job to fix ingrained issues on an AFL list. If this was a professional soccer club, the coach could have simply sold 5-6 senior players and would have completely revamped the list to get his message across. But given the AFL player movement limitations, it is hard to cut out the cancer if you find one. Our issues seem to run deeper than can be rectified by moving on the senior coach and virtually the entire football department. Seems like some senior players may need to be culled too. Not going to name names, as I am not close enough to the "inner scrotum", but it certainly looks like there is a problem somewhere there.

All indicators suggest Rhyce is a feel and instinct coach rather than a statistics man. So he's possibly looked for signs and language from his leaders and players to verify they're all on track. And like a lot of workplaces, I reckon we've got a raft of people who'd be very good at putting up a very professional facade to the new boss.

But in Rhyce and again moreso Brady, I think they might find the bluff and bluster is going to be identified up much faster. Brady is a very measured intelligent guy but carries a hard ambitious edge. I don't think he's going to be another Cameron Joyce.

Is very odd not seeing Taylor Garner - indefinite here.
Just ironic that when his hammy finally stopped giving way every two weeks, he stopped playing good footy for whatever reason...

All indicators suggest Rhyce is a feel and instinct coach rather than a statistics man. So he's possibly looked for signs and language from his leaders and players to verify they're all on track. And like a lot of workplaces, I reckon we've got a raft of people who'd be very good at putting up a very professional facade to the new boss.

But in Rhyce and again moreso Brady, I think they might find the bluff and bluster is going to be identified up much faster. Brady is a very measured intelligent guy but carries a hard ambitious edge. I don't think he's going to be another Cameron Joyce.

I certainly hope so. And it's something you just can't teach. You either have it in you or you don't. You have to have that ruthless edge about you, to be in those positions. You can't be the nice guy all the time. We'll soon know if Rhyce and Brady have it.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I certainly hope so. And it's something you just can't teach. You either have it in you or you don't. You have to have that ruthless edge about you, to be in those positions. You can't be the nice guy all the time. We'll soon know if Rhyce and Brady have it.

Agree with you but want to be clear on the good/bad dichotomy.

I think the staff not setting out to galvanise the group, fulfil their individual athletic potential and pursue the highest achievement of the sport (ie a flag) is actually demeaning to all involved in the short career world of AFL.

Brady has always seemed a very nice guy but one who respects the main job he has been tasked with - in this case to produce a very competitive football team.

That isn't mutually exclusive with him being a decent considerate person just as being a soft pillow for players wasn't/isn't synonymous with getting the best out of them.

What are you basing this on?

2 practise games with understrength sides and an entirely new coaching group?

In the first game something like 3 of the long term leadership group of 4 didn't play. Our best midfield wasn't there and theirs was and they had a match plan set up for us where as we were experimenting.

The second game had even more of our best players missing and even less structure. We had Comben and Xerri as kpfs. It seems they deliberately removed our better players as well as the game went on possibly to see what the rest had under pressure.

It doesn't auger well for a bunch of our middle rung layers long term. Thinking Wood, Jmac and Ahern all needed to show more IMO. Hall as well tho he did a bit more. Pittard too but he wasn't anywhere near as bad imo. Garner started well but fell away, he'd want a better tank by mid season. Dumont needed to do more. Well do more game breaking stuff.

They're all game breaking players (cept Jmac and Jasper) who should be capable of stepping up against a depleted Melbourne.

But I'm prepared to wait for the next two games at least before cracking it with the rest of the side.

Yep I think most members have bought into the hype and I reckon theres a few players taking the piss before a ball is kicked in anger.
Lets just say my expectation have been well tempered after the month of Feb.

What are you basing this on?

2 practise games with understrength sides and an entirely new coaching group?

In the first game something like 3 of the long term leadership group of 4 didn't play. Our best midfield wasn't there and theirs was and they had a match plan set up for us where as we were experimenting.

The second game had even more of our best players missing and even less structure. We had Comben and Xerri as kpfs. It seems they deliberately removed our better players as well as the game went on possibly to see what the rest had under pressure.

It doesn't auger well for a bunch of our middle rung layers long term. Thinking Wood, Jmac and Ahern all needed to show more IMO. Hall as well tho he did a bit more. Pittard too but he wasn't anywhere near as bad imo. Garner started well but fell away, he'd want a better tank by mid season. Dumont needed to do more. Well do more game breaking stuff.

They're all game breaking players (cept Jmac and Jasper) who should be capable of stepping up against a depleted Melbourne.

But I'm prepared to wait for the next two games at least before cracking it with the rest of the side.
A common cliche amongst coaches and their football sides is how certain players train like their a million dollars and then serve up absolute garbage on the weekend.
I think that sadly is how we can describe our club.
The fact we arent anywhere near fit enough to compete for 22 rounds is an indictment.
Our conditioning and ethos pretty much sums up why our best and worst is so far in between.

A common cliche amongst coaches and their football sides is how certain players train like their a million dollars and then serve up absolute garbage on the weekend.
The fact we arent anywhere near fit enough to compete for 22 rounds is an indictment.
Our conditioning and ethos pretty much sums up why our best and worst is so far in between.

These are practise matches and I could see some conflict between some players who seemed to follow the instinctive sideways backwards handball and those who held it for a bit and looked to kick. Mason Wood did this to his credit.

Could also see the stagnation on the forward line that can cause that handball shite but I'm guessing it was from playing Comben and Xerri as KPFs as much as anything.

The rest is gonna have to wait to see what sort of team Shaw provides.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yep I think most members have bought into the hype and I reckon theres a few players taking the piss before a ball is kicked in anger.
Lets just say my expectation have been well tempered after the month of Feb.

settle down the sky isnt falling, clubs get injuries

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back