Injury The OFFICIAL Injury Updates thread - 2 weeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is it just me or does it feel like the rehab time for North players from a range of injuries is longer than players at other clubs. EVW missed all of last season and yet is not likely to be available until the middle of this one.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is it just me or does it feel like the rehab time for North players from a range of injuries is longer than players at other clubs. EVW missed all of last season and yet is not likely to be available until the middle of this one.

And why do l get the feeling that Brown & Ziebell calf injuries will drag on.

( happy to be wrong )

Last edited:

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Ed had a clean up to his knee that set him back. You've got to factor that in to the rehab time.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
could be that north fans are fixated on our own injury list and dont pay as close attention to other clubs injuries, which do happen

it's definitely a possibility but I did scroll through the official AFL injury list this morning and ours is as bad as anyone's. Bad luck happens but with EVW having a setback and what Will Walker went through with his PCL I am not filled with confidence about those managing long term rehab at North.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
could be that north fans are fixated on our own injury list and dont pay as close attention to other clubs injuries, which do happen
Given our injury list includes a bloke who is suspended plus about 4-5 who are certs to be available for Rd1, it's not as bad as the doom and gloom merchants make out.

Given our injury list includes a bloke who is suspended plus about 4-5 who are certs to be available for Rd1, it's not as bad as the doom and gloom merchants make out.

No, we are done. I'm doubling up my "investment" on us winning the spoon from $1 to $2. Its a "pleasure and pain" experience so to speak.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
So with that in mind I'll place stock in the way Rhyce spoke at the Season Launch. I think he was conned by his own troops who probably know exactly how to tick the boxes in preseason to sell their case to the coach.

His surprise and frustration in the gameday meeting footage looked genuine.
That game day footage was from against the Dogs. What was concerning was that there was no improvement against Melbourne. And it was the same issues: Defense looked disjointed, we got killed on the outside around packs, our forward entries were poor, and our skills were horrible.

It honestly doesn't look all that different from when Brad was coaching.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
At this stage I have some belief in Rhyce (and even morseo in Brady) so unless went really sour will hold off proper judgement for at least a season.

So with that in mind I'll place stock in the way Rhyce spoke at the Season Launch. I think he was conned by his own troops who probably know exactly how to tick the boxes in preseason to sell their case to the coach.

His surprise and frustration in the gameday meeting footage looked genuine. It's a long climb ahead, he has to correct the intensity and week to week focus of a group who have excelled in fluctuation and going flaccid at the sign of expectation.

He's going to learn he's not in Sydney 2012 or Collingwood 2002 pretty quickly.
In all reality it's going to take time for Brady and Rhyce to overhaul the list and weed out the problems. That's not to say we can't or shouldn't be highly competitive with the list we have. But I can't see Brady settling for that so I'd really expect swift and brutal turnover akin to what the backline did last week.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
In all reality it's going to take time for Brady and Rhyce to overhaul the list and weed out the problems. That's not to say we can't or shouldn't be highly competitive with the list we have. But I can't see Brady settling for that so I'd really expect swift and brutal turnover akin to what the backline did last year.
Well Rhyce said our list was seriously underrated, so unless he was just saying ‘the right words’ to endear himself to the players and the club, and prospective assistant coaches, he doesn’t think we need an overhaul.

You’re also assuming they are both good at their jobs. We don’t really know just yet. They have the license of a honeymoon period right now, including and especially with BF, I think.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Well Rhyce said our list was seriously underrated, so unless he was just saying ‘the right words’ to endear himself to the players and the club, and prospective assistant coaches, he doesn’t think we need an overhaul.

You’re also assuming they are both good at their jobs. We don’t really know just yet. They have the license of a honeymoon period right now, including and especially with BF, I think.

I think anyone in a new role deserves some time or a honeymoon period if you like. I also don’t think they’ll be too concerned with Big Footy.

I think our list is underrated too. Our top end and youth are exceptional. It’s what’s in the middle that needs attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I think anyone in a new role deserves some time or a honeymoon period if you like. I also don’t think they’ll be too concerned with Big Footy.

I think our list is underrated too. Our top end and youth are exceptional. It’s what’s in the middle that needs attention.
Of course they aren't concerned with BF. My point is that I think BF is, in this honeymoon period, extending them the courtesy of being infallible at this point. They'll soon get it.

As to the list, I just don't know anymore.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
BBB, Ziebell, Polec, Taz never have full preseasons and are all ok come round 1. That list will be at least halved by Round 1. Chill.
Taz has missed 1 praccy and a couple of weeks of training. Chances are he wouldn't have played against Footscray anyway. Nothing to worry about.

Brown has actually had his best preseason. He's played 5 official praccys in total in his time at North. Nothing to worry about.

This is standard Polec. Nothing to worry about.

The Skipper would be the only concern I reckon. But if he gets to have a gallop on the weekend that'll help.

Of course they aren't concerned with BF. My point is that I think BF is, in this honeymoon period, extending them the courtesy of being infallible at this point. They'll soon get it.

As to the list, I just don't know anymore.

Here is the thing...

After his efforts last year there is a standard we expect Rhyce to provide. If we don't get that standard and we get nothing in the way of discipline, changing things around, on field standards being kept etc etc, ie if there isn't a lot of movement between seniors and reserves but we aren't successful, BF will turn pretty quickly I reckon.

Could be people calling for Brady to sack Rhyce by late July.

Jul 10, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Taz has missed 1 praccy and a couple of weeks of training. Chances are he wouldn't have played against Footscray anyway. Nothing to worry about.

Brown has actually had his best preseason. He's played 5 official praccys in total in his time at North. Nothing to worry about.

This is standard Polec. Nothing to worry about.

The Skipper would be the only concern I reckon. But if he gets to have a gallop on the weekend that'll help.

JZ playing Monday 👍

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Good to see polec ziebell back with Brown if right for rd 1 the injury list isnt bad but the winery then is the players are all longer term. Ldu turner evw Perez jacobs Hayden all around that 10-12 weeks with jacobs not even in the picture is quite depressing and will hurt the vfl team. It's especially disappointing that none of them will be put on the lti list. Don't understand why they don't for at least Jacobs the guy is cooked

North Melbourne

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Ben BrownCalf1-2 weeks
Luke Davies-UniackeGroinTBC
Kyron HaydenAchilles9-11 weeks
Ben JacobsConcussionTBC
Flynn PerezKnee9-11 weeks
Kayne TurnerSesamoid/foot9-11 weeks
Ed Vickers-WillisKneeTBC
Marley WilliamsSuspensionRound 3
Updated: Tuesday, March 10
Early prognosis

Brown
received an encouraging result from the MRI scan on his injured calf on Tuesday, and trained afterwards. He said on Sunday he was still aiming for round one but could be as far away as round three, although this development suggests he's on track for the season-opener. Jack Ziebell (calf), Jared Polec (foot), Ben Cunnington (hip) and Aiden Bonar (hamstring) all played limited minutes in their returns in the Roos' Marsh Community Series finale. They all came through unscathed and there were no fresh injuries from the weekend. – Marc McGowan

Back