Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

“Today’s announcement doesn’t do anything to diminish our enthusiasm and belief in what our China strategy offers and we’ll be looking to double down in 2021 to make the game-day experience bigger and better.”

Mr Thomas thanked Port Adelaide supporters for their patience and said all tickets purchased for the game would be refunded.“We understand it’s been an unsettling time for our supporters who were looking to travel to Shanghai and I thank them for their understanding in the lead up to this announcement.

“Already many of our supporters and corporate partners are expressing a desire to experience our Shanghai game in 2021.

“Mr Gui from Shanghai Cred has been fully informed and he is supportive and understands the decision is in the best interests of all concerned.”
I think he worded it really well and respectfully highlighted the importance of China to our club and our relationship with them.

Assuming that as this now reverts to a Saints "home" match, we get the $500k we paid them for "appropriating" their original home match back?
That's not how it works.

Port - mainly - and the AFL have to raise at least $4m, selling sponsorship rights, corporate packages and a small amount from tickets with no hospitality component, to put on the game, with Mr Gui underwriting any short fall to make sure it makes a break even.

If there is no game in Shanghai there is no revenue collected so no fee is paid to St Kilda.

Bloody hell, more reasons for people to panic buy toilet paper.

Not a problem for Collingwood supporters...

rplYs9l.jpg

It's amazing that it took a worldwide pandemic for St Kilda to finally get to play us at their home ground.

Gah their fans’ pissing and moaning about that.

No-one seemed to mind when we sent to Kardinia Park 400 consecutive times when we were at our lowest ebb and they were a GOAT-tier dynasty.

Gah their fans’ pissing and moaning about that.

No-one seemed to mind when we sent to Kardinia Park 400 consecutive times when we were at our lowest ebb and they were a GOAT-tier dynasty.

Funnily enough it was really lopsided the other way when we first started in the AFL. It’s something like we only played them 4 times at home in the first 12 games between us. St Kilda were playing in Tassie at the time so that might’ve had something to do with it.

Oh and of course f@&k Geelong.

Better yet let you fly out... "Port and StKilda will have to field made up reserve sides for the remainder of the 2020 season as their main squad and coaches are stuck in China"

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
In an alternate reality this happens, John Butcher is still on the list, and still doesn't get a game.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I've written before that if the game is moved to Melbourne, then if the Saints along with assistance of the AFL,
are smart and innovative, and really work the opportunity hard, then they will get great mileage out of it being moved to Docklands, and tie it in with future benefis when the game returns to Shanghai.

We have to play our part as well and depending on how they will market it to the Chinese community in Melbourne as well as Chinese corporates in Melbourne and Oz.

We also have to take some opportunity from the game being transferred. I have written that we should get Chinese embassy, consulate and businesses involved to help with the PR, support the Chinatown restaurants, even do a long march to the match down Little Bourke Street from Chinatown to Docklands.

Well listening to Vic Trade Minister for Jobs, Trade, Innovation, Sport, Tourism, Major Events & Racing Martin Pakula, KT and Saints CEO Matt Finnis and reading the AFL's website story, it looks like that is the approach they are all taking.

The Victoria government is throwing its weight behind this to engage the Chinese-Oz community and businesses, so it might work well for the Saints and hopefully we can piggyback on. The govt will probably will throw $$ at the Saints to help them out.

The new fixture, with the support of the Victorian State Government, will feature a celebration of Chinese culture in an effort to encourage visitors to come together in support of our Chinese communities.
AFL Chief Executive, Gillon McLachlan, said the health and safety of the travelling parties was the number one priority in the decision to move the match............... "Our relationship with China is important, it extends beyond the match-day, including key relationships with government and the business community and we look forward to continuing our support into the future."

"I would to also thank Juss Sports for all their planning, guidance and partnership over the past three years as we look forward to returning to Shanghai in 2021."

Deputy General Manager Juss Sports, Shanghai Patrick Yang said –
"We were excited to once again be hosting the Port Adelaide and St Kilda Football Clubs in Shanghai and bringing Aussie Rules football to the people of China," Mr Yang said.

AFL General Manager China, David Stevenson said –
"China remains a strategic priority for the AFL, over the last three years we have developed key relationships with our partners abroad," Mr Stevenson said. "Our work continues to build the broader AFL opportunity in China."

Port Adelaide chief executive Keith Thomas said -
it’s disappointing not to be playing a game in Shanghai this year but remains excited for 2021 and beyond. "Whilst we are disappointed that the Shanghai game has been cancelled, today’s announcement doesn’t do anything to diminish our enthusiasm and belief in what our China strategy offers, and we’ll be looking to double down in 2021 to make the game-day experience bigger and better."

Victorian Minister for Jobs, Innovation and Trade Martin Pakula said -
"Sport is a great way to bring people together, whether it’s played in Shanghai or Docklands.” "It’s a shame that the Saints can’t play in Shanghai this year, but we now have a terrific opportunity to show our support for our local Chinese communities.”

St Kilda Chief Executive Matt Finnis said -
“We will work with the Victorian Government to promote the positive impact the Chinese community has on Melbourne through education, tourism and its unique contribution to our city’s diverse culture.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘The AFL, in conjunction with its joint venture partner Port Adelaide Football Club have today announced the Round 11, St Kilda vs Port Adelaide match scheduled for May 31 in Shanghai, China will be relocated to Australia.’

This may be the first time I have seen in print the AFL admit that there is in fact a ‘joint venture’ between them and PAFC. I can only recall koch throwing those two words around in generic terms without any honest definition of what they actually mean.

Now we have to move quickly and professionally to justify being verified as a Joint Venture Partner with the AFL for the China expansion.

Andrew Hunter is going and must be replaced by someone with the commercial touch that Andrew acquired via five years on the job and added to the community touch with which he arrived five years ago.

Tony Zhang in Shanghai will either be feeling suddenly unexpectedly lonely ... or will be already focusing on the void to be left by Andrew which is Tony’s to fill, if he is man enough. His reaction will be decisive.

Then we have Andrew Day. As a director, appointed specifically to take charge of such an international situation as this, the leadership role is pure and simply ... his.

Let nobody get in his way.

Let nobody else on the PAFC board of directors, let alone a lame duck CEO, get in his way.

Last edited:
I've written before that if the game is moved to Melbourne, then if the Saints along with assistance of the AFL,
are smart and innovative, and really work the opportunity hard, then they will get great mileage out of it being moved to Docklands, and tie it in with future benefis when the game returns to Shanghai.

We have to play our part as well and depending on how they will market it to the Chinese community in Melbourne as well as Chinese corporates in Melbourne and Oz.

We also have to take some opportunity from the game being transferred. I have written that we should get Chinese embassy, consulate and businesses involved to help with the PR, support the Chinatown restaurants, even do a long march to the match down Little Bourke Street from Chinatown to Docklands.

Really interesting. I am on record saying that we should also have a China-themed game at AO. That's pretty much what I had in mind when I wrote it.

Really interesting. I am on record saying that we should also have a China-themed game at AO. That's pretty much what I had in mind when I wrote it.
We have had for a number of years.

Get a bidet...problem solved.

View attachment 833451
Made in, and of, China?

Why the feck are people panic buying toilet paper, which is not imported, for a respiratory tract infection? It's not as if it is cholera or dysentery.

Are they going to use it to blow their nose when they run out of tissues?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back