Certified Legendary Thread China History in the Making Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Why has it stopped?
it hasn't, we had one last season. We invite international students etc. I know we had one last season as I took a Chinese friend to it.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
GremioPower it's branded as the "open to the world" game.

2014 was the year the first Open to the World game with Team China guys leading the March from the Mall and had a parade at half time on the ground. That would have been late July as the International Cup was played in Melbourne starting first weekend of August.

Think it was the 2016 Open to the World Chinese themed game they had a huge Chinese display pre game with dragons, lanterns, dancers and acrobats before the game. Might have been a bit of fire works IIRC. It was a big display and they turned the lights down to enhance the performance.

Since we have played in Shanghai they have toned it down but still have an Open to the World game each year.

Maybe this year they will really crank it up again given no Shanghai game this year.

Last edited:

Like this idiot

If I get coronavirus I’ll need to be actual quarantined because I can’t avoid other people where I live and defo can’t isolate my groceries etc.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2014 was the year the first Open to the World game with Team China guys leading the March from the Mall and had a parade at half time on the ground. That would have been late July as the International Cup was played in Melbourne starting first weekend of August.

Think it was the 2016 Open to the World Chinese themed game they had a huge Chinese display pre game with dragons, lanterns, dancers and acrobats before the game. Might have been a bit of fire works IIRC. It was a big display and they turned the lights down to enhance the performance.

Since we have played in Shanghai they have toned it down but still have an Open to the World game each year.

Maybe this year they will really crank it up again given no Shanghai game this year.
Was thinking the same

Rucci and Kane were talking about a 20 team comp, NT has said they want to come into the comp in 2030 and then they spoke if its sustainable. Rooch mentioned GWS and Essendon looking at California and the need to find corporate $$$ outside the Oz market then says;

"The other one I'll be intrigued in is to when Gold Coast make a move into the Singapore market."

Kane then says well they need to do something as it has cost the AFl $50 million , no $500 million since they've come into the competition. Somewhere in between that Kane, closer to the first figure than the second one.

If they found the right oval and made the right connections, Singapore could work well as a second market for GC. English speaking, Chinese mentality of doing business, government has tight control over things, so get in with them and it will be sweet, plenty of money looking for a home and GC sell their tourism to come to the wide open spaces and leave the rat race behind for a few weeks could work well. But is there a passionate group of mad keen GC Suns supporters there in Singapore driving this?

Rucci and Kane were talking about a 20 team comp, NT has said they want to come into the comp in 2030 and then they spoke if its sustainable. Rooch mentioned GWS and Essendon looking at California and the need to find corporate $$$ outside the Oz market then says;

"The other one I'll be intrigued in is to when Gold Coast make a move into the Singapore market."

Kane then says well they need to do something as it has cost the AFl $50 million , no $500 million since they've come into the competition. Somewhere in between that Kane, closer to the first figure than the second one.

If they found the right oval and made the right connections, Singapore could work well as a second market for GC. English speaking, Chinese mentality of doing business, government has tight control over things, so get in with them and it will be sweet, plenty of money looking for a home and GC sell their tourism to come to the wide open spaces and leave the rat race behind for a few weeks could work well. But is there a passionate group of mad keen GC Suns supporters there in Singapore driving this?

I don't think there is a passionate group of mad keen GC Suns supporters on the Gold Coast?

I can’t really see why Gold Coast would be worth any Singaporean’s time. Bali is closer and cheaper and thats not the only holiday option.

As for money, why would they go to Gold Coast to spend it? Whats there that Singapore lacks? GWS, Sydney or heaven forbid a Melbourne club would be a far stronger match.

I don't think there is a passionate group of mad keen GC Suns supporters on the Gold Coast?
Haha there are a few nut cases who travel around Oz and went to China both times watching the team, maybe 100.

One of my sisters lives on the GC and she and her husband have been members since day 1. Can't call them nut case Suns fans as when Port play, she is barricking for Port and when Essendon play he is barricking for Essendon. Reckon I have been to 3 Port games up there and been on the GC to watch 3 other games over the 9 years they have been in the comp when I go up to see my sister for a general visit or do a bit of work for her.

There are people who live on the GC who are very very parochial about the place and if they have become Suns fans they would be very parochial about them. They are the people who if based in Singapore could do something useful for the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t really see why Gold Coast would be worth any Singaporean’s time. Bali is closer and cheaper and thats not the only holiday option.

As for money, why would they go to Gold Coast to spend it? Whats there that Singapore lacks? GWS, Sydney or heaven forbid a Melbourne club would be a far stronger match.
You are thinking like an Aussie not a Singaporean. Bali wouldn't hold the alternative of cheap holiday to them like it does to an Aussies. Aussies flock to Bali. Have you seen stats or vision of Singaporeans flocking to Bali?? getting drunk and doing stupid things like bogan Aussies?

Look at the surveys done by Tourism Oz and other tourism organisations and GC ranks high in a lot of places that Asians want to go to.

You are thinking like an Aussie not a Singaporean. Bali wouldn't hold the alternative of cheap holiday to them like it does to an Aussies. Aussies flock to Bali. Have you seen stats or vision of Singaporeans flocking to Bali?? getting drunk and doing stupid things like bogan Aussies?
When did I say they’d do any of those things? But that they don’t do those things is why I query why Gold Coast would be attractive to Singaporeans vs other Australia cities or even other countries in the region

Look at the surveys done by Tourism Oz and other tourism organisations and GC ranks high in a lot of places that Asians want to go to.
”Asians”, yes. China (most of) and Japan are colder than Singapore as they are not tropical, and aren’t exactly loaded on sandy beaches. People from those countries also don’t have the existing cultural connections to the ASEAN nations that those nations have for each other.

Even Singapore feels the distance from China, its why they’re focused on increasing use of Mandarin and letting Hokkien locally die out. They want to be the go-between between China and the world but the truth is that China is working direct.

When did I say they’d do any of those things? But that they don’t do those things is why I query why Gold Coast would be attractive to Singaporeans vs other Australia cities or even other countries in the region

”Asians”, yes. China (most of) and Japan are colder than Singapore as they are not tropical, and aren’t exactly loaded on sandy beaches. People from those countries also don’t have the existing cultural connections to the ASEAN nations that those nations have for each other.

Even Singapore feels the distance from China, its why they’re focused on increasing use of Mandarin and letting Hokkien locally die out. They want to be the go-between between China and the world but the truth is that China is working direct.
You don't need 100% of Singaporeans to come to your city to make it a successful tourism strategy. In 2016 440,000 Singaporeans came to Oz and the GC was the 4th most popular destination. So if the GC play a game there, Tourism Qld can work on moving that from 4th to 3rd, to make it a useful strategy.

You don't need 100% of Singaporeans to come to your city to make it a successful tourism strategy. In 2016 440,000 Singaporeans came to Oz and the GC was the 4th most popular destination. So if the GC play a game there, Tourism Qld can work on moving that from 4th to 3rd, to make it a useful strategy.
What were the top three destinations? Sydney, Melbourne, Perth? I guess Brisbane for 3rd. How distant was 4th?

I mean I’m fine with Gold Coast blowing their load on a population of less than 6 million when no airline has a direct flight from Singapore to Gold Coast airport, but its still a bad match for both parties

What is even the pitch to Singaporeans?

What were the top three destinations? Sydney, Melbourne, Perth? I guess Brisbane for 3rd. How distant was 4th?

I mean I’m fine with Gold Coast blowing their load on a population of less than 6 million when no airline has a direct flight from Singapore to Gold Coast airport, but its still a bad match for both parties
Don't have the break down but in 2016 it was the 3 you mentioned, but Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.

Well that's a call for Tourism Qld. Maybe they push for direct flights. But my sister informs me there is an airline called Scoot who flies direct out of GC to Singapore. Never heard of them.

Don't have the break down but in 2016 it was the 3 you mentioned, but Melbourne, Sydney and Perth.

Well that's a call for Tourism Qld. Maybe they push for direct flights. But my sister informs me there is an airline called Scoot who flies direct out of GC to Singapore. Never heard of them.
Looking further it seems Scoot is 3 days a week.

I just think tourism QLD could do better, even within SE Asia. Its a weird one.

Singapore has a personal tax rate of 0-22%, has a corporate tax rate of 17% and doesn’t tax capital gains.

Oh, and it has one of the best pension schemes in the world, because the money you save in tax goes towards their pension fund - 20% paid by the employee and 14.5% by the employer.

That 34.5% can get distributed in whichever way you choose over the following three accounts:

Ordinary Account (OA)
Savings from contributions accumulated in the Ordinary Account may be used to buy residential and non-residential property as well as approved assets and insurance funds. The account balance can also be used to cover education costs and can be redirected to affiliated accounts.

Special Account (SA)
Contributions directed to the Special Account are dedicated to old age, contingency purposes and investment in retirement-related financial products.

Medisave Account
Medisave Account savings are used to meet hospitalisation and medical care expenses and to pay for approved medical insurance premiums.

You can add Singapore to the list of countries I’d move to :)

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz

Scoot are an off-shoot of Singapore Airlines. They’re a discount airline that fly to around 60 destinations throughout Asia, Europe and Oceania.

Scoot are an off-shoot of Singapore Airlines. They’re a discount airline that fly to around 60 destinations throughout Asia, Europe and Oceania.
Ok so they are SA's Jetstar. Makes sense, fly to smaller and more tourist related destinations.

Last edited:
Singapore has a personal tax rate of 0-22%, has a corporate tax rate of 17% and doesn’t tax capital gains.

Oh, and it has one of the best pension schemes in the world, because the money you save in tax goes towards their pension fund - 20% paid by the employee and 14.5% by the employer.

That 34.5% can get distributed in whichever way you choose over the following three accounts:

Ordinary Account (OA)
Savings from contributions accumulated in the Ordinary Account may be used to buy residential and non-residential property as well as approved assets and insurance funds. The account balance can also be used to cover education costs and can be redirected to affiliated accounts.

Special Account (SA)
Contributions directed to the Special Account are dedicated to old age, contingency purposes and investment in retirement-related financial products.

Medisave Account
Medisave Account savings are used to meet hospitalisation and medical care expenses and to pay for approved medical insurance premiums.

You can add Singapore to the list of countries I’d move to :)
I have been aware of Singapore's pension system since the 1980's. It was Lee Kuan Yew's gift to Singapore to build up the capital of the place and help turn it into a banking centre of Asia and the world. Reckon it was 16%+12% when I first heard of it. Have always read the debates about the pros and cons of a forced savings system, but Singapore would be a shadow of itself if it wasn't implemented.

Whilst I don't know the ins and outs of all the systems, but it always surprises me when I see the national pension systems rated and Oz usually gets rated 2nd or 3rd and we are always ahead of Norway and Singapore.

This is the 2019 ratings
These Are the World’s Best (and Worst) Pension Systems
By Matthew BurgessOctober 20, 2019,
The Netherlands and Denmark have the best pensions systems in the world, according to a global study that shines a light on how nations are preparing aging populations for retirement. The countries took the top two slots in the Melbourne Mercer Global Pensions Index published Monday, both earning an A grade for the level of financial security provided in retirement. Australia came in third, with a B+ grade, while the top 10 was rounded out with Finland, Sweden, Norway, Singapore, New Zealand, Canada and Chile all on B.

The survey of 37 nations, which covers almost two-thirds of the world’s population, uses 40 metrics to assess whether a system leads to improved financial outcomes for retirees, whether it is sustainable and whether it has the trust and confidence of the community.

The Netherlands again took the top spot in 2019 with most workers benefiting from defined benefit plans based on lifetime average earnings. The U.K. and the U.S. both earned a C+ grade, coming in 14th and 16th place respectively. Both could boost their scores by raising the minimum pension for low-income pensioners, according to the report.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back