Carlton v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Trimmed down squad

BRISBANE LIONS

vs Carlton at Ikon Park, Carlton North

Sunday 6:30pm EDT live on Fox Footy

Four-time premiership Hawk Grant Birchall managed only eight appearances in his final three years at Waverley Park, but the polished defender looks ready to start 2020 on the grid. The veteran blew out the cobwebs against Port Adelaide in Moreton Bay last month and will face Carlton at Ikon Park on Sunday night in the Lions’ final tune-up ahead of Round 1. Chris Fagan dropped another new recruit, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, for the trip to Melbourne suggesting the former Crow needs to “earn his spot” in the team. "His form just hasn't quite been good enough,” Fagan admitted on Friday.

B: M.Adams, H.Andrews, D.Gardiner

HB: D.Rich, G.Birchall, N.Answerth

C: M.Robinson, J.Lyons, Z.Bailey

HF: D.Zorko, E.Hipwood, L.McCarthy

F: C.Rayner, D.McStay, C.Cameron

FOLL: S.Martin, H.McCluggage, L.Neale

I/C: D.Robertson, C.Ah Chee, J.Berry, E.Smith, C.Cox, S.Skinner, M.Hinge, C.McFadyen

Skinner is right in the ox for a round one slot now. Good on him. He’s been through so much has shown great resilience and all going well is about to be rewarded!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t mean to be picky, but I am not sure any of the new recruits spots are in jeopardy?
Until they actually make the team then they can’t lose their place, really.
Birchall is the only one in my mind that, if he is fit, will be playing in the Seniors at the start of the year. That’s why we got him. The other 2 at this stage just add to the depth of the club.
The people who are in jeopardy are players who were in the team last year and are probably still considered fringe players, like Bailey, Answerth, Bundy maybe Witherden and McStay.
Yes should have worded differently.
As they are all new i was looking at a Marsh Series week 1 compared to march series week 3,
Week 1 Birchall & Ah Chee named on field with CEY on bench.
This week Birchall on field Ah Chee to bench and CEY dropped

To my eye, Ah Chee was the standout back flanker at training yesterday.
Yeah ah Chee has impressed me with his ground coverage and pressure, if he's adding that hbf disposal to what I've seen so far it's good signs. Out of interest did he spend anytime fwd at all? Same goes Cox?

Maybe they want Oscar to ruck a full game in the reserves

I think their still thinking different structures up forward. Driven by a desire to find more goals from the big guys. Ballenden started on the field in the 1st Marsh game and Oscar on interchange. Skinner in this week Oscar in reserves. I feel like Skinner would have played the first Marsh game as well if not for injury and that he is a serious consideration for round one. I don’t think we should assume Oscar is in for round one.

Trimmed down squad

BRISBANE LIONS

vs Carlton at Ikon Park, Carlton North

Sunday 6:30pm EDT live on Fox Footy

Four-time premiership Hawk Grant Birchall managed only eight appearances in his final three years at Waverley Park, but the polished defender looks ready to start 2020 on the grid. The veteran blew out the cobwebs against Port Adelaide in Moreton Bay last month and will face Carlton at Ikon Park on Sunday night in the Lions’ final tune-up ahead of Round 1. Chris Fagan dropped another new recruit, Cam Ellis-Yolmen, for the trip to Melbourne suggesting the former Crow needs to “earn his spot” in the team. "His form just hasn't quite been good enough,” Fagan admitted on Friday.

B: M.Adams, H.Andrews, D.Gardiner

HB: D.Rich, G.Birchall, N.Answerth

C: M.Robinson, J.Lyons, Z.Bailey

HF: D.Zorko, E.Hipwood, L.McCarthy

F: C.Rayner, D.McStay, C.Cameron

FOLL: S.Martin, H.McCluggage, L.Neale

I/C: D.Robertson, C.Ah Chee, J.Berry, E.Smith, C.Cox, S.Skinner, M.Hinge, C.McFadyen
So Witherden, Starcevich, McInerney and Payne dropped out of the 30.

Looks like Lester, CEY, Christensen, Mathieson, Eagles & Archie the only other players on the list with AFL experience. I'd be pretty worried if I wasn't named in the first 26, let alone the first 30.

The interchange is pretty inexperienced, but when the season rolls around I guess the bottom four drop off. I'm comfortable we've got a little bit of depth/versatility to call on when needed.

Big O's omission is really interesting, especially after only coming on late against Port. Could be a real clue we won't start the season fielding two rucks (given we look to have named our otherwise best 22).

From the Afl and Lions website. Not sure where the previous team came from

BRISBANE

B: M.Adams 24 H.Andrews 31 D.Gardiner 27
HB: D.Rich 10 G.Birchall 14 N.Answerth 43
C: M.Robinson 5 J.Lyons 17 Z.Bailey 33
HF: D.Zorko - C 15 E.Hipwood 30 L.McCarthy 11
F: C.Rayner 16 D.McStay 25 C.Cameron 23
Foll: S.Martin 12 H.McCluggage 6 L.Neale 9
I/C: D.Robertson 2 C.Ah Chee 4 J.Berry 7 M.Hinge 22 A.Witherden 29 B.Starcevich 37 J.Payne 40 O.McInerney 46

Emerg: E.Smith 8 C.Cox 20 S.Skinner 21 C.McFadyen 26

In: N.Answerth, D.Robertson, M.Hinge, J.Payne
Out: C.Ellis-Yolmen (Omitted), C.Ballenden (Omitted)

Makes more sense. The previously posted team just cut out the last 4 named on the bench in the 30 man squad

From the Afl and Lions website. Not sure where the previous team came from

BRISBANE

B: M.Adams 24 H.Andrews 31 D.Gardiner 27
HB: D.Rich 10 G.Birchall 14 N.Answerth 43
C: M.Robinson 5 J.Lyons 17 Z.Bailey 33
HF: D.Zorko - C 15 E.Hipwood 30 L.McCarthy 11
F: C.Rayner 16 D.McStay 25 C.Cameron 23
Foll: S.Martin 12 H.McCluggage 6 L.Neale 9
I/C: D.Robertson 2 C.Ah Chee 4 J.Berry 7 M.Hinge 22 A.Witherden 29 B.Starcevich 37 J.Payne 40 O.McInerney 46

Emerg: E.Smith 8 C.Cox 20 S.Skinner 21 C.McFadyen 26

In: N.Answerth, D.Robertson, M.Hinge, J.Payne
Out: C.Ellis-Yolmen (Omitted), C.Ballenden (Omitted)
You're right. My post just got made redundant.

A few posters observed that Ellis-Yolmen might have shirked on his defensive running in the game against the Power. I think there's a strong chance his omission is linked to that.

Really only one genuine midfielder on the bench in Berry, not including Deven Robertson. That is a little concerning for team balance.

A few posters observed that Ellis-Yolmen might have shirked on his defensive running in the game against the Power. I think there's a strong chance his omission is linked to that.

Really only one genuine midfielder on the bench in Berry, not including Deven Robertson. That is a little concerning for team balance.
I expect we’ll see Zorko and Berry run through the midfield a bit.

I wonder if we’ll see Ah Chee up forward a bit. We haven’t named anyone on the bench who looks like a small or medium forward. We might play 3 talls for extended periods.

We’ve named 4 guys who ostensibly play hbf or general defender. Hinge can play up on a wing, so to Answerth. Witherden and Starcevich can play midfield as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably more disappointed that the reserves aren't also playing in Melbourne this week as they did last year when the whole squad and club traveled down for the long weekend.

I wonder if we’ll see Ah Chee up forward a bit. We haven’t named anyone on the bench who looks like a small or medium forward. We might play 3 talls for extended periods.

We’ve named 4 guys who ostensibly play hbf or general defender. Hinge can play up on a wing, so to Answerth. Witherden and Starcevich can play midfield as well.

Yeah essentially 5 of the 8 man bench have been playing as defenders, so some will be trailed in different positions. Looking forward to seeing some of the young guys Dev, Hinge, Starc and Payne. Would have thought Skinner would get a chance up front.

Sorry to intrude guys but where is Rhys Mathieson at ? I’m a big fan of his but seems he may have slipped down the pecking order a bit or is he injured ?
Cheers

Sorry to intrude guys but where is Rhys Mathieson at ? I’m a big fan of his but seems he may have slipped down the pecking order a bit or is he injured ?
Cheers
Don't believe he is injured just falling down the pecking order as you say. Not necessarily through any fault of his own, just the recent draftees like Smith and Robertson are more skilled players. Also traded in CEY.

Don't believe he is injured just falling down the pecking order as you say. Not necessarily through any fault of his own, just the recent draftees like Smith and Robertson are more skilled players. Also traded in CEY.
Thanks Trikster
Will he be playing in the twos then this weekend against Carlton ?

Any reason why Carlton would lock fans out of the NEAFL v VFL clash? Would've been great to watch.

More like predictable rather then interesting. He’s an average footballer.

will spend 3 years on the list doing nothing like Bastinac

Completely disagree.

He has all the tools to be an asset for us as a big-bodied mid who can float forward, we don't have any other mids built like him on our list and he was clearly recruited for a reason. Sure, his form might not have been great the last couple of weeks, but that doesn't mean he'll sit in the reserves all year.

I like the squad selected. Some youth pushing for spots, some regulars fighting to hold theirs. Great the whole list is traveling and playing. I hope we get two tough, spirited games and that Ely Smith and Sam Skinner have blinders in the secongs. Devrob n Payne i hope get plenty of game time. Id love to see big Jack Payne monstering Patton in round 1, locking him down. If you wanted to debut a young bloke in defense, a good way would be giving him a lock down role on a player with ability but hasnt really played for a while and must be short on confidence. Be a good test.

Anyway, good luck to both teams. No injuries please.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back