NT wants a club within 10 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
And if they are how are we going to get up to 11 games a week?

I showed you earlier in the thread but for the sake of clarity I'll repeat it for you :

1. Sydney - 3 teams
2. Melbourne - 5 teams
3. Brisbane - 2 teams
4. Perth - 3 teams
5. Adelaide - 3 teams
6. Gold Coast-Tweed Heads - 1 team
7. Newcastle-Maitland - 1 team
8. Canberra-Queanbeyan - 1 team
9. Central Coast - 1 team
10. Sunshine Coast - 1 team
11. Wollongong-Illawarra - 1 team
12. Geelong - 1 team
13. Hobart - 1 team

Ha yeah right you really have no idea we just had our share of the gst revenue drastically cut due to the state being in the best shape it’s been in for decades and the federal government have been one of the major players pushing for us to get a license with the afl also having the federal minister for sport being a Tasmanian doesn’t hurt when it comes to getting funding for sporting ventures but continue please continue on with your unsubstantiated dribbling!

Yep, the best shape you've been in for decades....Your economic growth per capita made it all the way up to AVERAGE for the rest of the country.

I don't know what's sadder....That for Tasmania this really is a rare 'boom', or that you only managed to achieve even that low standard due to the end of the mining boom dragging other states back.

Oh, and the substance behind this particular 'dribbling' is the Bureau of Statistics.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I showed you earlier in the thread but for the sake of clarity I'll repeat it for you :

1. Sydney - 3 teams
2. Melbourne - 5 teams
3. Brisbane - 2 teams
4. Perth - 3 teams
5. Adelaide - 3 teams
6. Gold Coast-Tweed Heads - 1 team
7. Newcastle-Maitland - 1 team
8. Canberra-Queanbeyan - 1 team
9. Central Coast - 1 team
10. Sunshine Coast - 1 team
11. Wollongong-Illawarra - 1 team
12. Geelong - 1 team
13. Hobart - 1 team
Game doesn’t have the money for that.

Imagine the cost in stadiums alone as Wollongong, the Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and Newcastle would all need a purpose built stadium. The cost would sink the AFL

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, the best shape you've been in for decades....Your economic growth per capita made it all the way up to AVERAGE for the rest of the country.

I don't know what's sadder....That for Tasmania this really is a rare 'boom', or that you only managed to achieve even that low standard due to the end of the mining boom dragging other states back.

Oh, and the substance behind this particular 'dribbling' is the Bureau of Statistics.
I was in the northern wa for the mining boom that finished 6 years ago you fool your the Richmond version of pippen 👎

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
A bit, but the Swans alone draw more than both major Auckland rugby teams combined. And Australian football isn't even all that big in Sydney.

It appears that even Sydney people are better sports fans than Aucklanders.

AF has a very good record of attendance, hard to put your finger on all the reasons, but its a pretty good game would be the main one, Sydney however needs a drawcard -----BUDDY!!

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I'm not arguing for an NT team at all, only saying I can see the reason why the NT government would push for one.

Tassie is clearly the 19th team. I can't see the AFL wanting to fracture the NSW market any time soon, but it certainly is the right population for it in another 15-20 years. WA does make sense, but in reality it would just be a third team in Perth region, which wouldn't grow the game at all.

team 20 has to be Canberra.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Game doesn’t have the money for that.

Imagine the cost in stadiums alone as Wollongong, the Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and Newcastle would all need a purpose built stadium. The cost would sink the AFL

How much do you think the broadcasting rights would cost if there were 11-games per week ??

There would be gazillions of dollars in the purse to sort out stadiums etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah has a unhealthy dislike for Tasmania for some reason very similar to your mate and gws old telsor is fast becoming a troll on anything to do with Tasmania check out his recent history

I don't care about Tasmania. I care about facts.

You guys just don't like that I keep calling you out on your fairy tale arguments.

Given the struggle Tassie facing for a team, I can't see NT even being close.

The best thing going for them is the Tassie bid, really. They can try to attach themselves to that to drive the angle of bringing the teams back to an even number.

Still, very unlikely. They have half the population of Tasmania.

Maybe share it with Tasmania?? 1 home game every 2 months in Hobart, Launceston, Alice Springs and Darwin.

lol....
I know this is a joke, but it might be the answer to player retention.

Players wouldn’t want to live in the nt. But they could take the fly in fly out method seen in some European soccer clubs.

Shakhtar Donetsk have their training facilities in Kiev and play in Kharkiv
Anzhi Makhachkala have their training in Moscow and play in Makhachkala

Could be one thing clubs can look at. Based in Melbourne and just fly down to tassie or up to the nt for their “home”. Games

Feb 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors
I know this is a joke, but it might be the answer to player retention.

Players wouldn’t want to live in the nt. But they could take the fly in fly out method seen in some European soccer clubs.

Shakhtar Donetsk have their training facilities in Kiev and play in Kharkiv
Anzhi Makhachkala have their training in Moscow and play in Makhachkala

Could be one thing clubs can look at. Based in Melbourne and just fly down to tassie or up to the nt for their “home”. Games
That's not exactly embracing the local community though. And consequently you couldn't expect the local community to embrace them either.
Training sessions open to the public? Local clinics? Community engagement etc.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
That's not exactly embracing the local community though. And consequently you couldn't expect the local community to embrace them either.
Training sessions open to the public? Local clinics? Community engagement etc.

Its why the Kangas wandered around over the years, not finding a new home. Trying to kid the locals, they work you out ...

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't care about Tasmania. I care about facts.

You guys just don't like that I keep calling you out on your fairy tale arguments.
So what are these so called facts that you have that can predict the future and prove that a club that doesn’t even exist yet can’t be viable?? Let me guess the population or this distance between cities you offer your opinion which is fine you’re entitled to it but that’s about all it is your starting to become a broken record on the matter

So what are these so called facts that you have that can predict the future and prove that a club that doesn’t even exist yet can’t be viable?? Let me guess the population or this distance between cities you offer your opinion which is fine you’re entitled to it but that’s about all it is your starting to become a broken record on the matter

I don't claim to predict the future. I use the BoS future projections for that.

That's why you all get upset with me...unlike you, i don't use wishful thinking as the basis for an argument. I check what the experts think. (that's real experts, not just the people who say what I like).

Just look at all the replies to me...It's all about how I hate Tas, but NEVER providing any unbiased, reputable, verifiable sources to counter what I say.

Fun part is, that as time goes on, the very comments I was once told were wrong and just due to my hating Tas are coming true.....e.g. That the finances would be so slim that the Tas state government would need to make guarantees of support for any club.

The other one to remember is that the longer this takes, the further Tas is short of the mark, so every delay is another nail in the coffin of a Tas team. The AFL knows this, so they will delay at every opportunity, because they don't want to get left holding the bag for a basket case.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The AFL knows this, so they will delay at every opportunity, because they don't want to get left holding the bag for a basket case.

There is little doubt the AFL/Gil would prefer Taswegians keep throwing the money in to the Melbourne based clubs.
They've already tried to tell Tas where the money is to go, fortunately Tassie didnt fall for that.

The oversupply of games in Melbourne is being addressed by selling games anywhere bar SA & WA, so if Tas pull the pin, the AFL has another 7 games looking for a home/money.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't claim to predict the future. I use the BoS future projections for that.

That's why you all get upset with me...unlike you, i don't use wishful thinking as the basis for an argument. I check what the experts think. (that's real experts, not just the people who say what I like).

Just look at all the replies to me...It's all about how I hate Tas, but NEVER providing any unbiased, reputable, verifiable sources to counter what I say.

Fun part is, that as time goes on, the very comments I was once told were wrong and just due to my hating Tas are coming true.....e.g. That the finances would be so slim that the Tas state government would need to make guarantees of support for any club.

The other one to remember is that the longer this takes, the further Tas is short of the mark, so every delay is another nail in the coffin of a Tas team. The AFL knows this, so they will delay at every opportunity, because they don't want to get left holding the bag for a basket case.

" I use BoS future projections for this" The BoS don't predict the future. They extrapolate from recent statistics & give a group of trend line possibilities. A bit Like economists & politicians making wonderful rosy predictions, then making excuses because they didn't plan for Covid-19 or its effects on world trade & local panicking. We're all experts before the facts aren't we!!

"The AFL Knows this". Well now we know who you are, Hi Gil!! Hows the job going? Have you read the Tas business case yet? You're mate Demetriou knocked us back about 12 years ago, he's in favour now. Have you spoken to him? Whats the big change in his mind about?

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
" I use BoS future projections for this" The BoS don't predict the future. They extrapolate from recent statistics & give a group of trend line possibilities. A bit Like economists & politicians making wonderful rosy predictions, then making excuses because they didn't plan for Covid-19 or its effects on world trade & local panicking. We're all experts before the facts aren't we!!

This is a fair point. The BoS shouldn't be held up as any more reliable a predictor than anyone else. Their expertise isn't in predicting the future, it's to collect and collate statistics.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Those Canberra figures a way out of date, so I'd assume the others would be as well.
Canberra's population is now closer 425-430,000 and Queanbeyan is close to 40,000. Canberra is also around 90 minutes from the Riverina which has a strong footy history. Canberra would be a better option than NT.
Lived in canberra and just from my experiences from trying to watch afl on the little telly they had for us whilst league was on the big screens...... in the aussie rules club .....and a few others - i dont think canberra is all that for afl.

Lived in canberra and just from my experiences from trying to watch afl on the little telly they had for us whilst league was on the big screens...... in the aussie rules club .....and a few others - i dont think canberra is all that for afl.
Canberra has changed since the 1970’s. All clubs now have 5 or 6 flat screens showing a multitude of sports. Including AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back