NEAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

With the recent changes showing direction to AFL club needs again, I think its the last or second last season of the comp....the QLD and NSW AFL clubs obviously want to be in another comp.

Im hearing a new competition is seriously being looked at, its just a matter of what clubs get a licence into it. [ or can afford to be apart of it]
VFL Teams - Williamstown, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Werribee and Box Hill
NEAFL Teams - Southport, Aspley, Canberra and Sydney Uni
Tasmania, 10 team competition, that includes Victoria, Sydney,Queensland, Canberra and Tasmania.
AFL Teams Sydney, GWS, Brisbane and Gold Coast suns would play in the stand alone AFL Reserves comp with all the Victorian AFL teams only.
WA and SA competitions would remain....

I actually heard very similar during the year also, the competition would be made up of teams from Sydney, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania and Canberra.

Yep, same. And I'm not sure anyone other than Sth Port has the coin to compete in a comp like that...or interest - maybe they will.

Im hearing a new competition is seriously being looked at, its just a matter of what clubs get a licence into it. [ or can afford to be apart of it]
VFL Teams - Williamstown, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Werribee and Box Hill
NEAFL Teams - Southport, Aspley, Canberra and Sydney Uni
Tasmania, 10 team competition, that includes Victoria, Sydney,Queensland, Canberra and Tasmania.
This shows the AFL still haven't learned. The proposed league has the same problem that both the NEAFL and TSL have: they're not localised. There's little travelling support and players have to take a fair chunk of time out of their lives for games and travel, when they're not being paid like full professionals. Anywhere past a 200km journey at most is unwieldy. The TSL is only just hanging on in two cities separated by that distance, after culling areas any further out like Devonport and Burnie.

We should go back to separate leagues for Sydney, Canberra and Brisbane/Gold Coast.

No unfortunately
9 teams in the NEAFL competition for season 2020.

Maybe even less. I've heard that more than one community team is struggling to see a reason to carry on given the new rule changes and the direction the AFL is clearly taking things - i.e. all about AFL clubs as usual and no build of the local NEAFL clubs and their games as the top brand for local footy.

Maybe even less. I've heard that more than one community team is struggling to see a reason to carry on given the new rule changes and the direction the AFL is clearly taking things - i.e. all about AFL clubs as usual and no build of the local NEAFL clubs and their games as the top brand for local footy.

There were a few rumblings a month or two ago about Redland but my understanding is that they have committed to giving it a full crack while the NEAFL is still in existence, to review their future if an when that changes.

they have recruited really well for the upcoming season kudos to them

There were a few rumblings a month or two ago about Redland but my understanding is that they have committed to giving it a full crack while the NEAFL is still in existence, to review their future if an when that changes.

they have recruited really well for the upcoming season kudos to them

Word coming out of the Bay, is they will play finals this year after the recruiting that they have done.
I look forward to see how it all unfolds for them in 2020.

Traveled down to Southport sharks yesterday to watch the Sharks V Bombers Game.
the oval is in pristine condition and except for the blusterous winds a fast game was expected. The sharks were a lot cleaner with ball in hand and their tackling pressure forced a lot of easy turnovers from the bombers. Saying that when the bombers did turn it on, they played some good football.
A lot of improvement to come from both clubs.
final score Southport 10.10.70 Redlands 7.5.47

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Traveled down to Southport sharks yesterday to watch the Sharks V Bombers Game.
the oval is in pristine condition and except for the blusterous winds a fast game was expected. The sharks were a lot cleaner with ball in hand and their tackling pressure forced a lot of easy turnovers from the bombers. Saying that when the bombers did turn it on, they played some good football.
A lot of improvement to come from both clubs.
final score Southport 10.10.70 Redlands 7.5.47
Cheers Wannabe..

Would have to assume that the NEAFL won’t go ahead this year with the strict border regulations in Queensland. Might be two state based comps if anything this year, and beyond that who knows? The AFL will be looking to save money and the clubs might have taken a bit of a financial hit on the season so we may have seen the last of the competition in its current guise. Thoughts?

Would have to assume that the NEAFL won’t go ahead this year with the strict border regulations in Queensland. Might be two state based comps if anything this year, and beyond that who knows? The AFL will be looking to save money and the clubs might have taken a bit of a financial hit on the season so we may have seen the last of the competition in its current guise. Thoughts?
About time. One of the only good things to come out of the present crisis is that it may finally spell the end of this unwieldy competition. The return to QAFL and Sydney AFL will be good for regular state level clubs due to less travel being needed, lowering their operating costs. It won't be a good thing for the AFL clubs since their reserves will be playing against even lesser competition than before, but hopefully an AFL reserves league kicks off at some point.

Last edited:
Doubt there will be a full AFL Reserves comp - possibly one without the SA and WA teams though. Can’t see the AFL clubs playing their Ressies in the local league, there are a handful of decent sides in Sydney and the rest are garbage - if the Swans played Camden or UTS they would win by 300 points.

About time. One of the only good things to come out of the present crisis is that it may finally spell the end of this unwieldy competition. The return to QAFL and Sydney AFL will be good for regular state level clubs due to less travel being needed, lowering their operating costs. It won't be a good thing for the AFL clubs since their reserves will be playing against even lesser competition than before, but hopefully an AFL reserves league kicks off at some point.

Doubt there will be a full AFL Reserves comp - possibly one without the SA and WA teams though. Can’t see the AFL clubs playing their Ressies in the local league, there are a handful of decent sides in Sydney and the rest are garbage - if the Swans played Camden or UTS they would win by 300 points.
Maybe the AFL sides will send their reserves to the VFL.

Damien Hardwick on Offsiders today let it slip that things are changing - whereas up to now the AFL comp was a 'development and performance' body, it would just be a 'performance' body in the post-virus world .
This is in the context of reduced budgets, smaller team lists, fewer coaching staff and more modest aspirations.

So someone would have to take on the job of 'developing'. And it seems to me that the second tier comps like NEAFL will have to step up to that role.

I was hearing there could be as Eastern Reserves league with VIC, NSW, QLD reserves.

VFL Stand alone teams would either filter to their local leagues, go under, or form their own league.

I was hearing there could be as Eastern Reserves league with VIC, NSW, QLD reserves.

VFL Stand alone teams would either filter to their local leagues, go under, or form their own league.
I'd love to see that happen, but I doubt it purely because list sizes will be too small to fill out two full teams, and where would the top up players come from?

I would think for 2020, the clubs are going to have to play in their own states , even if it is to save on costs of travel for this particular season.
Footy from possibly mid June to end of September gives these comps about 15 weeks maximum of a season. I think the best hope is for most comps to pull of 10 or 11 rounds and then the top 8 of every comp have a final 8 series in September.

Who knows. Maybe in 2021 a EAFL comp happens which could be all the eastern board part of Australia for AFL clubs have their own reserves comp.
10 Vic based clubs, Gold Coast, GWS, Swans, Lions and a Tasmania side/ Align the fixture with AFL clubs and if your AFL club playing Freo, Eagles or Crows the club drawn to play Crows has a bye and the ones playing Freo and Eagles play each other that weekend.

EAFL of 15 clubs could probably work if AFL clubs from WA and SA do not want their reserves in a nation wide AFL reserves comp.

But it all depends on whether the AFL clubs are going to cut to lists of 35 or stick to essentially what we have now and just reduce the salary cap only.
Hopefully they do the later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back