Preview AFL R1 vs Port Adelaide @ Metricon 6:25pm 21 Mar 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I figured it was probably worth creating this thread given it's less than 30 days away and we now have some evidence of the type of Port Adelaide that's going to show up in round 1 after their performance against Brisbane last weekend. Charlie Dixon (4 goals, 18 disposals), Steven Motlop (3 goals, 22 disposals) and Travis Boak (33 disposals) seemed to be the biggest threats for the Power in that game. Their small forwards in Rozee and Duursma also contributed 2 goals each. Perhaps the most telling stats were Port winning the stoppages 51-44 and smashed Brisbane in the inside 50s count 58-40. Compare that to our performance on Saturday night where we actually lost the clearances count 38-44 but absolutely demolished the Cats in the inside 50s count 72-40. It should be mentioned we won the tackle count 88-76 and that likely resulted in a lot of turnovers which allowed us to enter inside 50 far more often than Geelong. For context, Port won the tackle count against the Lions 76-68.

So what does everyone think about this one with the evidence to date?

I'll be gutted if we lose, perfect platform to kickstart out season. Our inside work with Witts back should be good enough to take care of Port. It should be an open game and Boak & Rozee will definitely be their key players. We could tag Boak with Touk, and Budarick could tag Rozee too. Collins/Graham/Lukosius should be able to take Dixon/Georgiadies/Marshall. Must win game, Geelong @ Geelong in round 2 doesn't look good with our history down there.

I'll be gutted if we lose, perfect platform to kickstart out season. Our inside work with Witts back should be good enough to take care of Port. It should be an open game and Boak & Rozee will definitely be their key players. We could tag Boak with Touk, and Budarick could tag Rozee too. Collins/Graham/Lukosius should be able to take Dixon/Georgiadies/Marshall. Must win game, Geelong @ Geelong in round 2 doesn't look good with our history down there.
Budarick on Rozee... asking for trouble.
This is the kind of player we struggle with, 185cm, good in air and ground.
If Bowes is playing backline, he'd be my suggestion.

Agree your tall defenders.

Port were better than I was expecting in Marsh 1..

Rowell, Anderson & Rankine.

Rowell - LOCK

Anderson - Don't have a winger besides Sharp so he'll play. Too good to play NEAFL

Rankine - Saved for the good stuff, and will take Sexton's spot

How many debutants are we thinking?
All of em! Haha - think sharp, budarick, graham all deserve a run - rather have budarick than Joyce at the moment...

clearly can’t go too young but the kids have got talent

I’m going with this.

4 debutants though due to injuries 🤷‍♂️

B. Harbrow, Graham, Lukosius
HB. Bowes, Collins, Fiorini
C. Ellis, Greenwood, Anderson
HF. MacPherson, Day, Swallow
F. Ainsworth, King, Rankine

R. Witts, Miller, Weller

Int. Brodie, Rowell, Lemmens, Holman

Emg.
Joyce, Wright, Budarick, Sharp.

Inj.
Sexton, Hanley, Thompson, Ballard, Powell.

I’m going with this.

R. Witts, Miller, Weller

Emg.

Inj.
Personally, I don't like Fiorini as HB. I would much rather see Budarick/Joyce there. One not very fast general in defence (Bowes) is enough. Fiorini still needs some games under his belt. I don't mind if he does not play in round one or replace Anderson. To be honest on the wing I would prefer Sharp already over Fiorini/Anderson there. Tough choice for match committee.

We will probably run out of legs with so many debutants. We should do anything to win. Max 2-3 debutants for me.

Finally, I was able to watch the game against Crows. To my surprise after reading that Wright was terrible I would still go with him. Day was not better and Wright is clearly better in the ruck. Yes, Suns targeted Wright 13 times or whatever but all these balls were terrible, on top of players, no leading balls. It allowed Talia to hand check Wright. He is one of the best one on one defenders. Wright did bring down the ball on many occasions. The last qtr was how we should utilize Peter.

Yes, his lack of aggression, lack of confidence, fumbling the ball and not crashing packs is extremely frustrating but with King playing deep Wright can cause damage with his running, marking on a lead and beautiful kick and ruck work.

Port defense is extremely undersized. Westhoff (199cm, 33 years and 5 month old) will most probably have to play on King and Clurey (193cm) on Wright. If we play also Day he could match up against McKenzie (191cm) :)

If midfield splits the ball King and Wright together with our pressure forwards should cause some serious damage.

Last edited:
Finally, I was able to watch the game against Crows. To my surprise after reading that Wright was terrible I would still go with him. Day was not better and Wright is clearly better in the ruck. Yes, Suns targeted Wright 13 times or whatever but all these balls were terrible, on top of players, not leading balls. It allowed Talia to hand check Wright. He is one of the best one o one defenders. Wright did bring down the ball on many occasions. The last qtr was how we should utilize Peter.

Yes, his lack of aggression, fumbling the ball and or not crashing packs is extremely frustrating but with King playing deep Wright can cause damage with his running, marking on a lead and beautiful kick.

Port defense is extremely undersized. If midfield split the ball King and Wright together with our pressure forwards should cause some serious damage.

Agree. exactly the reason I went with Pete over Sam in my team....and also a better ruck back up imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I don't like Fiorini as HB. I would much rather see Budarick/Joyce there. One not very fast general in defence (Bowes) is enough. Fiorini still needs some games under his belt. I don't mind if he does not play in round one or replace Anderson. To be honest on the wing I would prefer Sharp already over Fiorini/Anderson there. Tough choice for match committee.

We will probably run out of legs with so many debutants. We should do anything to win. Max 2-3 debutants for me.

Yeh agree with your thought of Fiorini at HB. Was kinda just keeping in line with him playing the 1st half there yesterday.

How many debutants are we thinking?
2 for me - Rowell and Rankine

I’m going with this.

R. Witts, Miller, Weller

Emg.

Inj.

You've only got 3 debutants there by my count.

Patiently waiting on who Dew select in Round 1 and observe those disagree with his selection. Will be fun.
you got a round 1 team you would select?
assuming harbrow, Rankine available and sexton, Thompson not.

you got a round 1 team you would select?
assuming harbrow, Rankine available and sexton, Thompson not.
I happy with whoever get selected as long they win Round 1 , Rankine (no more injury) , Anderson and Rowell will be lock in . Budarick /sharp Could be the surprise. I know 4 debut a lot but anderson , Rowell and Budarick all do well in Endurance .

Rowell, Anderson & Rankine. 5/6 of the SUPER SIX will be playing

Dew said if there is 4 point for this game Rankine play. I think there is 4 point up for grab vs Port. As for Rowell and Anderson he said included Brisbane practice games they played 2 1/2 games. Joyce, Holman and florini will be fighting for one spot. Joyce get panic when under siege, Holman and florini interrupted pre season..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back