Preview Marsh game 2 vs Cola swans Monday March 9 1:40pm Kingston Twins Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Scamper to all the players:
tenor.gif

Wood emergency clearly shaw is gonna make him work for his spot this year
Yeah - its all gone pear shaped there.

On observed form Wood is clearly a better forward that Garner - and structurally the superior option when we only have Larkey as the key forward.

It's ok to 'make players work' but going in with 3 6 foot 2 options in JZ, Garner and CZ better not be Shaw's plan for today fortnight.

Just isn't getting near the best out of himself. Against the Dees he was terrible for someone of his ability. His best and worst are to far apart
I reckon it's a bit strange that we've basically punted a bloke who actually has the capability to be good, albeit with consistency issues, yet persist with blokes that are just no good and won't ever be.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it's a bit strange that we've basically punted a bloke who actually has the capability to be good, albeit with consistency issues, yet persist with blokes that are just no good and won't ever be.

Aint that the truth.

You would think in a practise game when we are planning to be a tall forward short for Round 1 that Wood would be given a chance to show his worth.

New coaches like to/need to 'make statements' and Shaw is doing that here re Wood.

But by playing Garner in his place Shaw is not getting anything positive out of this statement.

I hear you, am curious as to which players you're talking about?

Just isn't getting near the best out of himself. Against the Dees he was terrible for someone of his ability. His best and worst are to far apart
Does the fact that he took the second most marks inside 50 for us last year really count for so little that he is put up for trade, made a defender, not picked for the first marsh cup game, half-heartedly picked for one scratch match as a forward, then dropped forever?

He’s not the most consistent player and has some flaws but he’s played some seriously good football for us, and at times last year was very good in a difficult role. I just don’t see what he’s done to be out of the frame in a forward line with one 20 year old KPF and Brown no certainty to get up for round 1.

Does the fact that he took the second most marks inside 50 for us last year really count for so little that he is put up for trade, made a defender, not picked for the first marsh cup game, half-heartedly picked for one scratch match as a forward, then dropped forever?

He’s not the most consistent player and has some flaws but he’s played some seriously good football for us, and at times last year was very good in a difficult role. I just don’t see what he’s done to be out of the frame in a forward line with one 20 year old KPF and Brown no certainty to get up for round 1.
Ziebell is a better key forward than Mason and applies more pressure. Garner's aggression suits our game style more. He doesn't bring what the side needs, doesn't do what he is good at enough and wouldn't be listed if he didn't have a contract for this year. He lost his dominant marking ability ability four years ago and his goal kicking has gone with it. 27 this year and can be grateful he has a chance in the VFL to avoid the scrapheap.

Shaw is setting the standard and if you don’t live up to the team values, you won’t play. He clearly doesn’t work hard enough in various aspects of his game. I would rather play the players that turn up each week and have a crack compared to players who have a bit more ability, but you never know what effort they will bring.
He has been in the system for almost 10 years and apart from a couple of years riddled with injury, it’s been the same crap each year. He has 1 year to buy in to the team values and I applaud Shaw for picking players playing for the team rather than on ability.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hear you, am curious as to which players you're talking about?

Turner is the obvious one. Not sure I’ve seen a more substandard player crack 50 games besides Stuart Cochrane. Macmillan. I’d throw Atley in. Maybe Dumont. Luke is another one, but he can do a decent shutdown job.

I’m not leading the Mason Wood cheer squad by any means. I just find it curious that he’s singled Wood out.

Shaw is setting the standard and if you don’t live up to the team values, you won’t play. He clearly doesn’t work hard enough in various aspects of his game. I would rather play the players that turn up each week and have a crack compared to players who have a bit more ability, but you never know what effort they will bring.
He has been in the system for almost 10 years and apart from a couple of years riddled with injury, it’s been the same crap each year. He has 1 year to buy in to the team values and I applaud Shaw for picking players playing for the team rather than on ability.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Look, so do I. My curiosity is why Wood has had a line put through his name already and not others who have delivered just as much, if not more, garbage.

I’m not advocating for Wood to be in the team fwiw. By the same token, we’ll go nowhere with 22 “goers” in the team. We need differences makers.

Look, so do I. My curiosity is why Wood has had a line put through his name already and not others who have delivered just as much, if not more, garbage.

I’m not advocating for Wood to be in the team fwiw. By the same token, we’ll go nowhere with 22 “goers” in the team. We need differences makers.
exactly right
if you are running a line through him you are running the permanent marker over Macmillan’s name to never pull our jumper on again

Ziebell is a better key forward than Mason and applies more pressure. Garner's aggression suits our game style more. He doesn't bring what the side needs, doesn't do what he is good at enough and wouldn't be listed if he didn't have a contract for this year. He lost his dominant marking ability ability four years ago and his goal kicking has gone with it. 27 this year and can be grateful he has a chance in the VFL to avoid the scrapheap.
LOL - Ziebell is not a better key forward than Wood - he at best is a third tall forward and that is debatable. In fact I cannot remember JZ playing a legitimate 2nd kpf. But carry on...you have developed a good story above including Garner's so called 'aggression'...that has been invaluable to 'our game style' over the years. I guess if we keep saying it often enough it might come true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back