Preview Marsh game 2 vs Cola swans Monday March 9 1:40pm Kingston Twins Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the fact that he took the second most marks inside 50 for us last year really count for so little that he is put up for trade, made a defender, not picked for the first marsh cup game, half-heartedly picked for one scratch match as a forward, then dropped forever?

He’s not the most consistent player and has some flaws but he’s played some seriously good football for us, and at times last year was very good in a difficult role. I just don’t see what he’s done to be out of the frame in a forward line with one 20 year old KPF and Brown no certainty to get up for round 1.
Yeah doesn’t add up
He had a decent enough year as the 3rd tall forward

weird that we randomly decided to play him back the spot is still there for him up forward

Look, so do I. My curiosity is why Wood has had a line put through his name already and not others who have delivered just as much, if not more, garbage.

I’m not advocating for Wood to be in the team fwiw. By the same token, we’ll go nowhere with 22 “goers” in the team. We need differences makers.

I don’t think they have put a line through him. There are just team values that he isn’t able to meet. It has been an issue for a long time with him. Until he can do so he plays in the 2’s and I applaud that decision.

We will get a lot further with 22 “goers’s” each week than blokes who regularly turn up half hearted.

The list is a working progress and there is no doubt dead weight to weed out, but I think Shaw setting a higher team standard is very important. The players who have been given a free ride in the years under Scott is no longer.

I still have a faint hope for Wood, but until he lifts his game in certain areas I fully advocate the approach Shaw is taking.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Turner is the obvious one. Not sure I’ve seen a more substandard player crack 50 games besides Stuart Cochrane. Macmillan. I’d throw Atley in. Maybe Dumont. Luke is another one, but he can do a decent shutdown job.

I’m not leading the Mason Wood cheer squad by any means. I just find it curious that he’s singled Wood out.

Yeah a fair point I suppose we feel Wood could be better and some you mention probably are playing as well as they can- dunno. Turner I find a mind boggling selection personally.

I don't mind Atley & Dumont, I wish they were the 21/22 players selected.

I don’t think they have put a line through him. There are just team values that he isn’t able to meet. It has been an issue for a long time with him. Until he can do so he plays in the 2’s and I applaud that decision.

We will get a lot further with 22 “goers’s” each week than blokes who regularly turn up half hearted.

The list is a working progress and there is no doubt dead weight to weed out, but I think Shaw setting a higher team standard is very important. The players who have been given a free ride in the years under Scott is no longer.

I still have a faint hope for Wood, but until he lifts his game in certain areas I fully advocate the approach Shaw is taking.

Dunno, one of our brothers on this board reckons they have put a line through him. It may well be the right decision. The proof will be on the scoreboard. My curiosity is around why Wood has been singled out. It may be a way to get the best out of him. Doesn’t sound like it though.

My hope is that throughout the season this extends to the bad footballers in the team.

Ziebell on the 50 arc is what i like and suits him to a tee. He is at his devastating best when he is prowling around the arc as if he marks it anywhere around there, it could be a goal. Ziebell is a 2 goal forward who plays 2 quarters in the middle. When the situation calls for it, he can be dropped right into the goal square to create a mismatch. The same thing goes for cunnington, he is starting to be a problem as a mid in that he is simply not damaging enough. The opposition doesn't need to mind him too much as he is slow hence not able to defend as well. Cunnington needs to develop another string late into his career as well as a forward who could cause some mismatch. Our centre square however again conventional logical might be best served with Anderson, Higgins and Simpkin with Thomas and Hall rotating through it. We need 2-way running players who could apply constant pressure to the opposition hence they need to be quick. Cunnington is too slow for the middle. Him as a forward pocket could be very effective in that we could create mismatch where he could monster small defender and him in confined space do not get his speed exposed as much hence he could apply forward pressure much more.

The wing is in good hands of Polec and Dumont. A traditional north weakness that gets mistakenly taken as a strength is our so called 'in and under type players'. We are actually very poor in this area because the 'in and under' type today are no longer the ziebell, cunnington, swallow, adam simpson, anthony stevens type but the cotchin, dangerfield, bontapelli type who are the best disposal experts at their respective clubs. The center 3 need to be aggressive, nippy, and have ability to repeatedly attack the ball. Cunnington is a niche player in that he would be right at home during wet weather football and slow grind type matches, so we still need to keep him but against the quicker teams, we need to be much more tactical with his use.

Also i think we should start thinking about phasing out mcmillan. If we are going with Tarrant, Daw and Walker, the 3 of them could easily make mcmillan and even mcdonald redundant as all 3 are fantastic intercept players. The big 3 could handle any keyforward so the only weakness would be against the bulldog run and gun type but they have picked up couple of good key forward so they are going with your conventional 2 key forward type setup which would suit us just fine. Same with the richmond's lynch riewolt, fantastic players but conventional setup. Perhaps collingwood could pose the biggest probably with their not too clear key forwards.

If larkey is our only kpf, Carlisle will take 15 marks cutting off his leads.
We need to have multiple options.
I’d start jack out if the square with mahony/hoise at his feet - jack will crash packs if they get in his way.

Got to mix it up in the forward half.

Yeah a fair point I suppose we feel Wood could be better and some you mention probably are playing as well as they can- dunno. Turner I find a mind boggling selection personally.

Hopefully in 12 months time (yes I always seem to be looking a year ahead), Flyin’ Flynn, “Big Willy” Walker, Handsome Luke (well that’s what my wife calls him. As opposed to Stupid Luke), Captivating Curtis etc can force some of the gumbys out.

If larkey is our only kpf, Carlisle will take 15 marks cutting off his leads.
We need to have multiple options.
I’d start jack out if the square with mahony/hoise at his feet - jack will crash packs if they get in his way.

Got to mix it up in the forward half.
i would think xerri plays up forward.

Dunno, one of our brothers on this board reckons they have put a line through him. It may well be the right decision. The proof will be on the scoreboard. My curiosity is around why Wood has been singled out. It may be a way to get the best out of him. Doesn’t sound like it though.

My hope is that throughout the season this extends to the bad footballers in the team.

I think him being singled out is a combination of getting the best out of him and also being at the bottom of the pack in buying into what Shaw is trying to bring.

Have you all got short memories and can’t remember some of the efforts and performances Wood has put in over the last couple of years? I have watched him a lot live and some of his efforts off the ball and chasing the ball have been embarrassing.

Early days I thought Wood was the most promising young talent on our list. But at 26 the guy has seriously gone backwards. He has all the talent and athleticism to be one of the best players on our list, but unless he buys in it will never happen.

I think him being singled out is a combination of getting the best out of him and also being at the bottom of the pack in buying into what Shaw is trying to bring.

Have you all got short memories and can’t remember some of the efforts and performances Wood has put in over the last couple of years? I have watched him a lot live and some of his efforts off the ball and chasing the ball have been embarrassing.

Early days I thought Wood was the most promising young talent on our list. But at 26 the guy has seriously gone backwards. He has all the talent and athleticism to be one of the best players on our list, but unless he buys in it will never happen.

There’s some blokes holding golden tickets that have been just as embarrassing with execution of basic skills. They need to be weeded out just as badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s some blokes holding golden tickets that have been just as embarrassing with execution of basic skills. They need to be weeded out just as badly.

I agree and those players will be weeded out in due time. I would still rather play the guys that have a crack each week, rather than the guys who turn up and play when it suits them.
His omission isn’t about “execution” or “skill,” it’s about commitment and buying into what we need to succeed.

Either way we are not winning premierships with either of the above types, but at least a standard is being set until we have the cattle to compete at the top.

Think back to that game against Sydney where we won in a clinch as Mason kicked like what...4? Won the game off his own boot.

That was probably, him at his best.

Now think about how many times you've seen that.
I bet its on one ******* hand.

And there will be your answer as to why Wood is getting omitted.

Think back to that game against Sydney where we won in a clinch as Mason kicked like what...4? Won the game off his own boot.

That was probably, him at his best.

Now think about how many times you've seen that.
I bet its on one ******* hand.

And there will be your answer as to why Wood is getting omitted.

At the time I finally thought it was the beginning for him, but it seems it was more likely the end.

Wood is the epitome of a confidence player. When he is up and about, he looks great, takes strong marks, runs hard to space and can be a match winner.

His issue is when it all gets a bit hard, the head drops, he moves like he is injured and provides token pressure at best.

It is these traits that s**t a coach more than anything. They want to see the opposite. If you can't get a kick influence the game by chasing hard, laying a tackle or shepard. Wood goes the other way looking for a cheap one.

It is frustrating because he does make us more dangerous and we are not over loaded with match winners. I am sure opposition coaches prefer him out of the side as well.

If Shaw is sending a messsge, hopefully it gets through and we see the best of Wood more often.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its a tough one with Wood........do you persist based on potential or give another the opportunity? Is 20 odd goals a season enough?? Arguably better stats than Turner , Garner, Zurhaar.........if the club is going to make a statement then it needs to be consistent in its application

About Turner...

I was at a function yesterday and saw an old mate I played footy with. He's a Richmond supporter. Was talking up TT and last years GoTY that was ignored. Showed him the video and it triggered a two minute rave about Turner, who was in the goal square driving Bont toward TT with "pressure acts".

He went on about it a lot alluding to the sort of play Richmond win flags with.

I stick up for KT a lot and even I couldn't see it (was v drunk tho) but on the replay just then Turner is in scene running with an opponent trying to get the ball off Bont/be an option on the boundary side and Turner is right with him so Bont has no option. He has to kick near TT.

There are a lot of players I don't see that from, Wood is one.

On face value, I agree the ongoing Wood omission seems weird. He is awfully inconsistent, but s**t his best is excellent. I'm a bit shocked tbh.

When he had to force his way into the side a few years ago (2016?) he was a better player. Perhaps that is the idea at the moment. Try and get him wanting it again.

When he had to force his way into the side a few years ago (2016?) he was a better player. Perhaps that is the idea at the moment. Try and get him wanting it again.
Therein lies the issue, the 'want' to succeed should be self driven.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Mason Wood’s been dropped because he doesn’t work hard enough consistently, then how does Zurhaar get rewarded with his lame efforts all through the pre-season?

About Turner...

I was at a function yesterday and saw an old mate I played footy with. He's a Richmond supporter. Was talking up TT and last years GoTY that was ignored. Showed him the video and it triggered a two minute rave about Turner, who was in the goal square driving Bont toward TT with "pressure acts".

I stick up for KT a lot and even I couldn't see it (was v drunk tho) but on the replay just then Turner is in scene running with an opponent trying to get the ball off Bont/be an option on the boundary side and Turner is right with him so Bont has no option. He has to kick near TT.

Yep turners off the ball work is elite and underrated on here

will notice him being gone despite him not being a big disposal winner

About Turner...

The difference between Richmond's pressure forwards and Kayne is goals. They still manage to hit the scoreboard. Even Townsend had a purple patch in 2017. Butler managed to score. But then the goals dried up and they're out the door.

I realise we haven't got Charlie Cameron sitting on the VFL but we need to find small forwards who can pressure and score if we are going to play in the big boy part of the comp.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back