Women's Footy AFLW Round 4 2020 - St Kilda v Fremantle - RSEA Park. Sunday 1 Mar 2020, 12:10pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rubbish game today... standard terrible. Sadly looked worse than a local amateurs game.
Need some steady improvement from here. League and our lot.

Yeah today's game was awful, I get the league is a work in progress but it was hard to watch. I saw the girls tear apart the eagles with good skills and intensity though so they're capable of better.

They also have a good platform now at 4-0 to compete for the clubs first premiership.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
As much as I love the Freo girls, it appears it may be an easy feed for the Lionesses next Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Rubbish. Different team in Perth.

Even when we were decent for most of last year, we got on a plane and turned bog ordinary - culminating in that shitfest final against Carlton.

Important game next week when you think about it - it might mean a home grand final.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Gemma Houghton is the female Buddy.
Such an amazing tall forward who is (or was in Buddy's case) prone to missing sitters.
Hopefully Gemma sorts that part of her game out

On CPH1920 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gemma Houghton is our second best player after Bowers. Her contested marking is top notch, her pressure inside the forward 50 is excellent, her confidence to take the game on and find space where there is none, at pace, is second to none (EAntonio goes alright too), she breaks almost as many tackles as Turbo lays (when they can catch her), her field kicking and kicking to advantage is fine (not brilliant but fine). But yeah, she's be the Total Package if she could kick it straight when she's aiming for the big sticks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Personally I think Melbourne are the best team, followed by Carlton then us or you. Or maybe even Adelaide once they get rolling. Not sure you’d finish top 3 in our conference.
Yep Melbourne are the team that look the most skilled. Paxman and Pearce are class and their general ball use is brilliant. Love Zanker too.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Personally I think Melbourne are the best team, followed by Carlton then us or you. Or maybe even Adelaide once they get rolling. Not sure you’d finish top 3 in our conference.

Where are the Sts rated? They were better than us for most of the game today.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep Melbourne are the team that look the most skilled. Paxman and Pearce are class and their general ball use is brilliant. Love Zanker too.
It seems to change week to week. They kicked 1.8 last week and lost to the team we just got over the line to today at the same venue. Seems to be quite a gap between a team's best and worst - perhaps none so more than Freo.

Should be an interesting game next week. Brissie have yet to play a team that has applied above average pressure. Fremantle meanwhile just seem to be going through the motions and just managing to scrap out wins the past two weeks. Hopefully it is a relatively skilful and high scoring game like when the two teams met last year.

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It seems to change week to week. They kicked 1.8 last week and lost to the team we just got over the line to today at the same venue. Seems to be quite a gap between a team's best and worst - perhaps none so more than Freo.

Should be an interesting game next week. Brissie have yet to play a team that has applied above average pressure. Fremantle meanwhile just seem to be going through the motions and just managing to scrap out wins the past two weeks. Hopefully it is a relatively skilful and high scoring game like when the two teams met last year.
I think Brisbane are a little more free-wheeling whereas your girls like to get in the face of the oppo.
And look out for the Jess. She is clumsy but freaky good.
And please, please make it a still, not too humid early March day. Saturday looks to be hot. Hopefully a change Sunday.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Brisbane are a little more free-wheeling whereas your girls like to get in the face of the oppo.
And look out for the Jess. She is clumsy but freaky good.
And please, please make it a still, not too humid early March day. Saturday looks to be hot. Hopefully a change Sunday.
Nah Freo are definitely free wheeling. Pies and Saints have both played a player behind the ball to block off and slow down our run. It worked and made both games more a low scoring scrap rather than the free flowing style that Freo definitely prefers. If you've watched a few of our games the past two years you'd see our preference is to make it a shoot out and out score the opposition - it's why we beat high scoring North so easily last year (when most thought they'd smash us). We look piss poor doing the scrap fest in comparison and it ends up an ugly looking win. I also think Freo are too comfortable having won every game and aren't working hard enough for each other in the midfield and in the forward line. I really hope next weekend's game is far more entertaining irrespective of the outcome.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
It wasn't a very open game for us where we could create extra players on the overlap and run it freely into goals with an open forward line.

St Kilda moved the ball from contest to contest and took a lot of marks from short kicks. Their players physically matched it with us and gave us a dose of the kind of pressure we put on other teams.

I suppose we could have been flat as we'd come off a tough week weather wise with the humid temperatures maybe sapping a lot of energy on the training track, plus the travel. We seemed to lack a lot of run, and maybe not reading where to run to as it didn't seem like we handled the strong wind which appeared on TV to be going across the ground and affected our disposal efficiency.

I had flashbacks of Paul Maher doing something similar for us in a game back in the day (putting the ball on the ground after marking it over the boundary line) and the 50m penalty being converted into a goal late in a close game.

Last edited:

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nah Freo are definitely free wheeling. Pies and Saints have both played a player behind the ball to block off and slow down our run. It worked and made both games more a low scoring scrap rather than the free flowing style that Freo definitely prefers. If you've watched a few of our games the past two years you'd see our preference is to make it a shoot out and out score the opposition - it's why we beat high scoring North so easily last year (when most thought they'd smash us). We look piss poor doing the scrap fest in comparison and it ends up an ugly looking win. I also think Freo are too comfortable having won every game and aren't working hard enough for each other in the midfield and in the forward line. I really hope next weekend's game is far more entertaining irrespective of the outcome.
It will be entertaining enough. Both sides have a bit of mongrel and X factor in them. Gemma Houghton, Jess W etc. Once again, I really hope it is not too hot or blustery. Conditions don't help the women's game. How they hang onto the ball when they are covered in sweat beats me.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
A win is a win, but how you win gives you a bit of confidence for next week - or not.

Our mids and forwards have been dominant once the ball was in hand, but lost some spark today. Defence across the ground was good, the ball came out of our forward line because we didn't use the ball well, not because we didn't set up well in general.

We got fumblier as the game progressed, as opportunities went astray some desperation set in (Hats off to the Saints, their pressure was effective). Being the undisputed winners so far in the competition, I was surprised that the girls didn't back themselves, accept a "so what, about the last few opportunities, the next one is good" mindset, instead had a bit of a crisis of confidence.

The methods work, the team works well together and is relatively balanced across positions. Girls, what is left of the season is yours to take :thumbsu:

Back