Carlton v Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst viewing experience is sitting on the southern side of giants stadium during a day game and being forced to squint at the empty seats in the shaded members only section as you slowly burn to death

That was members seating in the first year. Worst idea ever.

At least you're close to the camel burgers on that side.

Hipwood is comfortably the best key forward we’ve had in about 10 years and he’s only 22. He was a godsend that we’d been desperately looking for. Can’t believe anyone would complain about him.

Already been said a few times but Starce was really impressive. The thing that stood out the most was his versatility. Something I didn't expect was to see him have an impact while playing forward, and with the potency of our forwardline, he's going to get some pretty favourable match-ups with his big frame. He could be an exciting wildcard to add to the mix.

Hipwood is comfortably the best key forward we’ve had in about 10 years and he’s only 22. He was a godsend that we’d been desperately looking for. Can’t believe anyone would complain about him.

There is considerable room for improvement with his leading and marking. He drops a few that he really should swallow.

Not a complaint, just an observation.

There is considerable room for improvement with his leading and marking. He drops a few that he really should swallow.

Not a complaint, just an observation.

You’re right and I’m looking forward to him improving

I'm not concerned about Hipwood in the slightest. Sure I would like to see him clunk a few more; and not juggle the marks he does take; and kick a bit straighter; but opponents have to put a lot of attention into him to stop him getting off the chain because he can do more damage than he has a right to with his mobility and agility at ground level for a 202cm player. He's essentially always drawing a tall and a ground level player freeing up a lot of space for others because he actually drags them both away from goal. I feel like his marking and goal kicking have gotten better every year so far and with the extra size and strength on him this year I see no reason for it to not continue into his fifth season. I think he will kick 45+ this year.

I feel a bit sorry for McStay because that was a pretty poor handball from Charlie to end up on the bloopers real for his stack. It looked pretty uncoordinated but he was at almost full stretch to pick the ball up from his ankles, he would have had to dive to actually one-grab it, but because he was trying to reel it in and keep his feet - so he could actually put it through - it all went arse up.

I didn't notice the lighting was so bad on the broadcast so that also explains a few things.

Very impressed with Starcevich and Robertson. Starcevich is so clean with the footy and can play a variety of roles. Some difficult selection decisions for round 1 with 2 to be omitted from yesterday's team.

For those at the ground what was the light quality like? On the broadcast it looked barely bright enough for a local game let alone AFL standard?
Lights were pretty bad.....kept asking my son who was that lol........I dont need glasses but perhaps I do after last night.

Lights were pretty bad.....kept asking my son who was that lol........I dont need glasses but perhaps I do after last night.
Yeh, don't ya hate it.
young eyes and all.
I remember playing cricket on the footpath before dinner , late late afternoon .
With a dirty old composite cricket ball, almost in the dark and still being able to see it.

Hmm come to think of it , we did use tennis balls most of the time.
Gees this was like back in the seventies man.

Yeh, don't ya hate it.
young eyes and all.
I remember playing cricket on the footpath before dinner , late late afternoon .
With a dirty old composite cricket ball, almost in the dark and still being able to see it.

Hmm come to think of it , we did use tennis balls most of the time.
Gees this was like back in the seventies man.
60's for me :'(

On current form I’d have Dev and Starc ahead of Ah Chee and CEY. I think they will both be made to earn their spots. Birchall best 22 for mine but his spot isn’t safe. Also agree on Bailey, was a real standout tonight and very excited about his prospects in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bailey is mounting a case for getting the wing spot and releasing McCluggage or MRobbo through the middle or up forward. You can just kick it to Bailey and know that he'll take the game on if he gets hold of footy or scrap to hold it up. Awesome to see him do it a few times yesterday, another great find.

Starc looks extremely promising too. Hope we give him a chance ahead of either McCarthy or Rayner. It appears he'll be very effective swapping with Lyons / Clugga / Berry, covering both inside and half forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty happy with how that went. A good way to roll into round one. I think we probably need to develop some more forward depth and ruck stocks - if Martin and Cameron go down we might have some issues. I know it's only preseason, but that's the sort of performance I'd expect of a contender. How we're being compared to Melbourne I'll never know.

For those at the ground what was the light quality like? On the broadcast it looked barely bright enough for a local game let alone AFL standard?
Terrible.

One of the big knocks on Princess Park is that you really struggle seeing portions of the ground no matter where you sit. It definitely doesn’t suit night footy though but it was still enjoyable going back to Princess Park for a pre season game.

Venues like this should never be considered for season proper games in this day and age. Hence why I’m so anti venues such as Ballarat. They just don’t cater for the bare minimum luxuries that you now expect at professional games in 2020.
One of the big knocks on Princess Park is that you really struggle seeing portions of the ground no matter where you sit. It definitely doesn’t suit night footy though but it was still enjoyable going back to Princess Park for a pre season game.

Really looking forward to seeing how Bez goes this year. Best on ground yesterday. Looking like a breakout year.

Hipwood - Liam Jones outread him, just a step ahead on the play, which really comes down to our mids. A bit of bombing it in, and Jones won them all. When he got on the lead, he was generally decent, except that he still refuses to stick his bloody arms out! Tries to chest mark all of them, which will get spoiled 80% of the time. If he sticks his arms out, he'll mark or get chopping the arm frees every time. Other than that, I was mightily impressed by his work around the grounds. More second efforts and defensive running than I think I've seen from him. Really hopeful for his year.

Bailey and Starce both had excellent games. Hope we fit them in. Wasn't as sold as many on here about Dev - but enough glimpses to want to play him ahead of CEY.

To those criticising the commentary. Hasn't the penny dropped? To most Victorians it's still really the VFL with a couple of interstate sides added for TV revenue.

As to McStay and his critics: seriously he is a total superstar. Sure he misses the unmissable, falls over his own feet, can't chase etc etc. Sure he kicked 2- one from an OOB which had zero to do with him. Admittedly a great goal which noone expected. Maybe this explains what goes on in his head. However, back to the mundane- we need more of him for when our midfield gets blanked. Like it will be by the more astute coaches.

What we REALLY need are dependable 2 or 3 goal a game hardnuts.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

McStay has such a beautiful kicking action when he is relaxed.

That goal from the boundary was a thing of beauty and I just knew he would nail that running shot on the siren.

People have got to get off his back.

I've spoken with him and he's a top fella and I also get the impression he's a sensitive bloke who is well aware of criticism of his propensity to miss "easy" shots. I think he feels negative energy.

He's a valuable member of the side .

Get behind him and he'll feed off it.
I have rearranged my crystals
Bailey is mounting a case for getting the wing spot and releasing McCluggage or MRobbo through the middle or up forward. You can just kick it to Bailey and know that he'll take the game on if he gets hold of footy or scrap to hold it up. Awesome to see him do it a few times yesterday, another great find.

Starc looks extremely promising too. Hope we give him a chance ahead of either McCarthy or Rayner. It appears he'll be very effective swapping with Lyons / Clugga / Berry, covering both inside and half forward.
McCarthy has been equally as lively as bailey this preseason, he may have just been a bit down. Also don't think we net much by dropping Rayner for starc

Very impressed with Starcevich and Robertson. Starcevich is so clean with the footy and can play a variety of roles. Some difficult selection decisions for round 1 with 2 to be omitted from yesterday's team.

Would like games pumped into Starce. He's got "it" in spades. Clean under pressure, nice pace, great kick. Me like.

McStay has such a beautiful kicking action when he is relaxed.

That goal from the boundary was a thing of beauty and I just knew he would nail that running shot on the siren.

People have got to get off his back.

I've spoken with him and he's a top fella and I also get the impression he's a sensitive bloke who is well aware of criticism of his propensity to miss "easy" shots. I think he feels negative energy.

He's a valuable member of the side .

Get behind him and he'll feed off it.

Totally agree that Dan is a top fella. I have had a good chat with him every family day for the past few years and is a ripping bloke. In regards to his accuracy, he was a little bit off at the family day today. Accidentally walked in to the female toilets, but quickly realised he had made a mistake haha. We had a good laugh about it and had a chuckle every time we made eye contact after that. Hoping he really steps it up this season and continues to work hard. He is an important cog for us and I wish him all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would like games pumped into Starce. He's got "it" in spades. Clean under pressure, nice pace, great kick. Me like.
I see a bit of Tim Notting and Elliot Yeo in Starcevich. Might just be the ability to play multiple positions in the "utility role" and his run and carry but I'd love for him to end up as good as those guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back