Preview Sydney Swans v North Melbourne in Tassie Marsh community game Monday

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbo starts by defending Hayward then finishes with should be out for a week. Gerard agrees but thinks it may be a fine. I must have my Swans glasses on to think it wasn’t anything more than a free. Surely it’s a fine at worst.

i think it was play on, afl need to let them play a bit,

Yep. Longmire statement after a loss.

"That second quarter was pretty good but we just didn't do it for long enough."

Hear from John Longmire after our loss in Hobart today.

Always effort not coaching.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

horse never says anything remotely of value in the presser, very measured

even if we win he talks about the effort etc

Okay, glad it's your opinion... but I firmly suggest that you go back and have a look at Kennedy in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016! You will clearly see that he didn't do it 'all himself' as you phrase it... but was part of a very good functioning midfield.

Have a look at his records for most consecutive games, games with 20 or more touches, with 30 or more touches, games where he has single handly changed the course of a game...

Players like Kennedy NEVER go out of style... they get quicker, perhaps kick a bit straighter... but they remain in style.

PS Just my opinion of course...

Yes, but you are going back three or four years ago and beyond.

I am looking at the present, where I routinely see guys like Fyfe, Dangerfield, Oliver, Cunnington, Cripps, and yes, Kennedy, dominating out of the middle, yet the midfields they belong to looking like an absolute shambles. It's not a coincidence.

I'm less interested in what a mid can do for himself and his numbers and more interested in how they can fit into a midfield group that needs to function to win games, and as good as they are to watch, those of the Kennedy mould do not fit in that well.

(In my opinion)

Okay, glad it's your opinion... but I firmly suggest that you go back and have a look at Kennedy in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016! You will clearly see that he didn't do it 'all himself' as you phrase it... but was part of a very good functioning midfield.

Have a look at his records for most consecutive games, games with 20 or more touches, with 30 or more touches, games where he has single handly changed the course of a game...

Players like Kennedy NEVER go out of style... they get quicker, perhaps kick a bit straighter... but they remain in style.

PS Just my opinion of course...

kennedy had tommy mitchell by his side helped

and jack hannebery goodes etc, parker now.

been the best midfielder in the side his whole time imo, but had more support at times

your Swans glasses are a bit more rose coloured than mine I think. Still you wear them well :)

i think the rule is stupid though,

I know we have head issues, but to me footy carries those risks

players don't have to worry about going in for the ball now as they know the opponent will hang back or cop weeks, there's less fear and as a consequence more go head first imo

I actually don’t think Lloyd has that much ‘natural’ talent. His football journey included a gruelling training program which saw him enter the system as an elite runner.

Basically, he has worked his arse off to get where he is rather than talent having a major factor in it.

He is a limited player who is prepared to run hard and position for his team mates. Nothing wrong with that of course, but he isn’t ever going to be much more than a trooper.

Except he doesn't even do that anymore. Just kicks in and occasionally scoops up a loose ball in defence and tries to clear it.

He went to bump and Cleary shows it

1 week

Agree but seemed to try and awkwardly stop the bump when the player fumbled and didn’t come up as expected. Should have gone the tackle but in the end didn’t make contact worthy of suspension surely it’s one level down with a decent fine.

Except he doesn't even do that anymore. Just kicks in and occasionally scoops up a loose ball in defence and tries to clear it.

agree

but do you think he can no longer give us what he used too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was Hayward supposed to do though? Bump or not unless he digs a hole to China he was going to collect him. Seems harsh a week but the MRP is a lottery. I think a fine as it was low impact.

hes meant to stop and wait im presuming?

Yes, but you are going back three or four years ago and beyond.

I am looking at the present, where I routinely see guys like Fyfe, Dangerfield, Oliver, Cunnington, Cripps, and yes, Kennedy, dominating out of the middle, yet the midfields they belong to looking like an absolute shambles. It's not a coincidence.

I'm less interested in what a mid can do for himself and his numbers and more interested in how they can fit into a midfield group that needs to function to win games, and as good as they are to watch, those of the Kennedy mould do not fit in that well.

(In my opinion)
I think you cherry picking here... and I think that those of Kennedy's mold fit into any team well... but this could go on forever, so we'll agree to disagree...

kennedy had tommy mitchell by his side helped

and jack hannebery goodes etc, parker now.

been the best midfielder in the side his whole time imo, but had more support at times
Yep, agree... Mitchell may well have pushed him out, but couldn't wait (and who can blame him!)

Positives for me

-mills looked sensational. Really carries himself like a seasoned veteran now. Just consistantly makes the right decisions

-aliir looked very good and his evasiveness has improved further. Looking a lot more experienced.

-Taylor was great. Really showed some classy skills

-Kennedy was great however he did make some poor decisions out there (only pre season)

negatives

-Blakey really lacked effort today. Disappointing

-rampe was really lazy with some of his disposals and it cost us

- still not sold on Stephens, looks a little timid but he did show some class with some of his disposals

without reading through pages 15 - 35.. if I did, Im sure its all been mentioned..
good to see Naismith equal or beat Goldy at the ruck, also good to see him him play out his designated minutes. Thought he did well, and should get better (considering how much footy he missed the last two years)
Good to see Heeney back, and also play his designated minutes. Same goes for McCartin. Both had big first halves
Haywood is a worry. Has he got over his kicking demons? First kick at goal suggests no! 2nd went straight through from 50..

Enjoyed Cunningham and Taylor in the transition. Would love to see Cunningham play 22 games this year. Hope Taylor can help the inside mids, seemed to today. With Parker, Kennedy and Hewett possibly playing less minutes there, and while waiting for Florent, Rowbottom, Warner and Stephens to get 1 or 2 more seasons under their belts, players who can play through the inside midfield and contribute are gold at the moment.

Positives for me

-mills looked sensational. Really carries himself like a seasoned veteran now. Just consistantly makes the right decisions

-aliir looked very good and his evasiveness has improved further. Looking a lot more experienced.

-Kennedy was great however he did make some poor decisions out there (only pre season)

negatives

- still not sold on Stephens, looks a little timid but he did show some class with some of his disposals
Aliir got flogged by larky

What was Hayward supposed to do though? Bump or not unless he digs a hole to China he was going to collect him. Seems harsh a week but the MRP is a lottery. I think a fine as it was low impact.

My issue is that those with influence are talking about the AFL taking a stance on this incident.

Players walk onto the field with the knowledge of the laws of the game and how they have been interpreted or it’s reasonable to expect they should. You can’t then after a game change the law or interpretation to suit what result you want.

If after this result you want to come down harder then you say we want to come down harder make all aware before players step on the ground.

As it stands he is fined for the incident anything more than that it’s a change of law or interpretation to date.

Aliir got flogged by larky
Larky looked pretty good.. bit bummed that McLean is injured, would've like to see what he could do as a tall forward.. probably similar to Larky. He would've played this Marsh series if fit

Positives for me

negatives

aliir aside the rest i agree with, thought aliir and rampe were in 1st gear

as much as I like his media style, I predict they will have to take the horse out the back and shoot it in the next 9 months.....developing side they maybe, but he's doesnt feel to be on the groups wavelength.......it has a 'Rodney eade at the end' feel about it - the team and the decisions on and off-field.....eade was really good in his early days but ended up coaching for results and not development...horse is doing the same from my observations...love to be wrong....not sure we have roos in the wings though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back