Preview Sydney Swans v North Melbourne in Tassie Marsh community game Monday

Remove this Banner Ad

I know others will disagree but I would move Hewett into a proper inside mid position and I would bring Clarke into the team full time to play as a tagger. Clarke has shown he is quite a good tagger, not as good as Hewett, but Hewett is very much needed as an inside mid.

Not completely against it but Clarke in the team makes me very nervous

And ours is currently one of the employed one's, yet so many of you negative types on here have Longmire sacked on the back of two (albeit terrible) pre season games!
How many times over the years - including when we were a consistent top 6 team, have we EVER done ANYTHING in the pre-season?

I didn’t have him sacked Off two pre season games thanks

How many times were we starting a pre season off bottom 4 though?

I still think if we can get our s**t together enough we could legit be undefeated after the first month. That's not me being hyperbolic, just looking at the draw.

Adelaide - crap, we're usually good over in Adelaide.
Essendon - crap, our home ground is a bigger worry than this opponent.
Gold Coast - crap, battle of two young sides.
Carlton - crap, battle of two young sides, they only won last year cause of the ruck situation.

Not saying we won't be crap. We only need to be slightly less crap than our opponents, which is a very big possibility. If we were 4-0 then who knows what sort of momentum that could give us.

We haven’t seen them at home yet either

Longmires main aim should be to hold serve at home and win as much as possible there while we develop

SCG is a massive problem for us and I noticed this trend as far back as 2016 when we were still winning games there

I still think if we can get our s**t together enough we could legit be undefeated after the first month. That's not me being hyperbolic, just looking at the draw.

Adelaide - crap, we're usually good over in Adelaide.
Essendon - crap, our home ground is a bigger worry than this opponent.
Gold Coast - crap, battle of two young sides.
Carlton - crap, battle of two young sides, they only won last year cause of the ruck situation.

Not saying we won't be crap. We only need to be slightly less crap than our opponents, which is a very big possibility. If we were 4-0 then who knows what sort of momentum that could give us.

First two will beat us. We are usually okay in Adelaide but they look in better form. Essendon have had a very good pre season, I'd be amazed if we beat them especially with no Buddy. Should beat GC, if we don't we are so coming bottom 2. Carlton who knows, I don't rate their list either. However watch Cripps belt us senseless in the middle.

Whoever’s top of the ladder round 1 in a leap year wins the flag

So just flog Adelaide by 100

We planning on scoring 100?

Exactly how many beers did you have at the game yesterday?

First two will beat us. We are usually okay in Adelaide but they look in better form. Essendon have had a very good pre season, I'd be amazed if we beat them especially with no Buddy. Should beat GC, if we don't we are so coming bottom 2. Carlton who knows, I don't rate their list either. However watch Cripps belt us senseless in the middle.

Pre-season means nothing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre-season means nothing

To a degree yes, but you'd want to take some form in. I'd be shocked if we win more than 1 maybe 2 games before Buddy comes back. That is just being realistic, nothing more. I'm not looking at the total number of games won as a successful season though. I'll be happy with the improvements across the board.

Can’t win at this place geez

Sorry we will get thumped close the side down

It will be an ugly 60 plays 50 game, who on earth knows which side will be more ugly. I'll be tipping Adelaide though. Watch it be a game that will drive me nuts with our kicking skills!

Whoever’s top of the ladder round 1 in a leap year wins the flag

So just flog Adelaide by 100

Adelaide can be slow starters, didn't we flog them in Adelaide in early 2014 after losing our first two games? #swanspremiers2020

It means something

But we don’t have all the info to know how players went with their targets etc

Your last point proves your first point wrong.

There's players out there on limited minutes/restricted programs coming back from injuries.

There's players out there fully fit who just want to get through each match unscathed.

There's some players out there who just take longer to get rid of the rust after the break than others.

There's senior players out there lacking the motivation that comes with four premiership points.

There's teenagers out there only getting game time to give them a taste simply because it's pre-season.

Way too many variables at play in any given pre-season match for the form or results to have any bearing on the actual season.

I know others will disagree but I would move Hewett into a proper inside mid position and I would bring Clarke into the team full time to play as a tagger. Clarke has shown he is quite a good tagger, not as good as Hewett, but Hewett is very much needed as an inside mid.
Agree that Hewett plays as a normal inside mid. Reckon this is the year to find out just how good he is. two years from now, JPK won't be playing, and Parker will be likely spending more time up forward. Hewett will be the only guy over 24yo at the coal face. Age, experience and toughness are pretty important in there..
Not sure if Clarke plays 5, 10, 15 or all the games as a tagger. But hes a good option for that role. His contract comes up this year and I cant see too many clubs chasing him. We can contract him as a depth player on a depth player salary. Very little cost, very little risk, how much reward??

Agree that Hewett plays as a normal inside mid. Reckon this is the year to find out just how good he is. two years from now, JPK won't be playing, and Parker will be likely spending more time up forward. Hewett will be the only guy over 24yo at the coal face. Age, experience and toughness are pretty important in there..
Not sure if Clarke plays 5, 10, 15 or all the games as a tagger. But hes a good option for that role. His contract comes up this year and I cant see too many clubs chasing him. We can contract him as a depth player on a depth player salary. Very little cost, very little risk, how much reward??

Yesterday we looked our most fluent with Parker and Heeney forward. Now it would be a big punt to do it round 1, but I'd love to see them forward, JPK, Hewett and Rowbottom as the centre square brigade.

Last edited:
Yesterday we looked our most fluent with Parker and Hewett forward. Now it would be a big punt to do it round 1, but I'd love to see them forward, JPK, Hewett and Rowbottom as the centre square brigade.
Hewett didn't play yesterday

Your last point proves your first point wrong.

There's players out there on limited minutes/restricted programs coming back from injuries.

There's players out there fully fit who just want to get through each match unscathed.

There's some players out there who just take longer to get rid of the rust after the break than others.

There's senior players out there lacking the motivation that comes with four premiership points.

There's teenagers out there only getting game time to give them a taste simply because it's pre-season.

Way too many variables at play in any given pre-season match for the form or results to have any bearing on the actual season.

Good points

Look my main theory on the pre season and it’s Meaning is that it means essendon will be overhyped in some way and their fans will end up disappointed eventually, then repeat it next year

That’s what it means

It will be an ugly 60 plays 50 game, who on earth knows which side will be more ugly. I'll be tipping Adelaide though. Watch it be a game that will drive me nuts with our kicking skills!

I meant I posted something negative and understandably it’s not well liked I get it

Then I say I think we can win and cop it geez :p

I think if we dominated pre season we wouldn’t read s**t into it so people are right let’s see what we dish up the first few weeks before we decide we haven’t changed etc

I meant I posted something negative and understandably it’s not well liked I get it

Then I say I think we can win and cop it geez :p

I think if we dominated pre season we wouldn’t read s**t into it so people are right let’s see what we dish up the first few weeks before we decide we haven’t changed etc

We can definitely win, and I'm thankful we get the easier draw this year, heaven knows we need it. Realistically though it may take a month or two to really see us playing well. I hope I'm wrong and we come out and smack the Crows, however I'm someone who lowers his expectations generally. I want to see us perform before I start tipping us at least.

I didn’t have him sacked Off two pre season games thanks

How many times were we starting a pre season off bottom 4 though?
Sorry Kingy that post read like a direct shot at you, which was not my intention, I was just a bit over all the player, club and coach bashing, coming on top of two pre-season games.

For the record I don't think we are going to do much this year - my heart says premier's (It always does whilst there's the slightest chance), but my very logical brain says no and that's okay, it doesn't mean I'm going to be spewing endless vitriolic crap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back