Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I wouldn't get too hung up on draft assumptions regarding 2019 mate, as this one is showing every indication of being an absolute blinder.

Not at all mate and I actually agree with ferball's assessment of Curtis as a talent and the value of the 2018 crop (which I rate).

My posts are only in relation to the notion of comparing players on draft position.

If you really want to do so then I don't quite see the point of using subjective "he should've gone 1st round" assessments in the comparison. You can only compare the actual positions - that's where the 'market' valued them at the time.

Not at all mate and I actually agree with ferball's assessment of Curtis as a talent and the value of the 2018 crop (which I rate).

My posts are only in relation to the notion of comparing players on draft position.

If you really want to do so then I don't quite see the point of using subjective "he should've gone 1st round" assessments in the comparison. You can only compare the actual positions - that's where the 'market' valued them at the time.

It was a throw away comment about their relative value going into their drafts and why a higher rated player is more likely to have break out game numbers in a pre season game.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
This kid started out as a mercurial HFF:

1583814025852.png

Until he built himself into this:

1583814042436.png

I'm going to enjoy the next couple of years watching him either way.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
FWIW Fyfe averaged 16 touches and around a goal a game as a HFF in his debut season for Freo in 2010.

In his second year he moved to the midfield and averaged 25+ from that point on.

16 & 1 should be a realistic marker for him. It's not easy getting that amount of ball as a young HFF (as we all know!), so if he can manages to do that, he will have had a real breakout year imo.

Much like generals are always fighting the last war, so many recruiters are always spooked by the last draft and not thinking ahead. The recruiters that think ahead are those that succeed imo.

Curtis is a victim of being a "tweener" - seen as not tall or big enough to play true KPF, not quick enough for outside mid, not big enough for inside mid. The next Ben Lennon was the knock.

But as footy changes and evolves, which our game does rapidly, so these things change.

Say we have success with a set up that's got a few types like Curtis, TG, Will Walker, Zurhaar who all fit the tweener bracket, then suddenly recruiters will be all over them.

Kind of like how small forward are now first rounds picks, where even five years ago they were almost exclusively rookies.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Much like generals are always fighting the last war, so many recruiters are always spooked by the last draft and not thinking ahead. The recruiters that think ahead are those that succeed imo.

Curtis is a victim of being a "tweener" - seen as not tall or big enough to play true KPF, not quick enough for outside mid, not big enough for inside mid. The next Ben Lennon was the knock.

But as footy changes and evolves, which our game does rapidly, so these things change.

Say we have success with a set up that's got a few types like Curtis, TG, Will Walker, Zurhaar who all fit the tweener bracket, then suddenly recruiters will be all over them.

Kind of like how small forward are now first rounds picks, where even five years ago they were almost exclusively rookies.
I saw Curtis play for the Academy when they beat Werribee (incl Durdin, Hibbert et al) and he went well, albeit in a cracking team (two Kings, our own TT, Isaac Quaynor, Rhylee West etc); he was the same then, not a huge amount of ball, but used it to effect - from memory, he kicked a couple. So not sure why he slid to 40 plus, esp when he ranked 26 or 27 in champion data points in his draft year

anyway, a steal, and a credit to the recruiting to team to get TT, Taylor and Scott in the one draft (and of course, Crocker). Best draft in 10 years (or more)

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM

The Collingwood forward line is full of these types of players.

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Curtis was likened to the good LeCras before the draft. Slightly taller.

He was seen as a bit of a lead and mark type medium forward, with a bit of X-Factor.

I think we've all seen over this pre-season with his work up the ground that he's going to be much much more than that.

His first half against Melbourne was also as good as what he put out on the weekend as well.

Couple that with the Bulldogs second half and he's been near our best for around 8-10 qtrs in a row. He's here to stay.

He was seen as a bit of a lead and mark type medium forward, with a bit of X-Factor.

I think we've all seen over this pre-season with his work up the ground that he's going to be much much more than that.

His first half against Melbourne was also as good as what he put out on the weekend as well.

Couple that with the Bulldogs second half and he's been near our best for around 8-10 qtrs in a row. He's here to stay.

He and Bailey Scott have an elite ability to keep their feet in the contest.

Back