Game Day Game 2 Marsh Series v Swans Kingston Ovals Tasmania

I was out and came home during the third quarter without knowing the score. I logged on here first and read the comments and thought we must have been about 20 goals behind at half time. I was surprised to then go to AFL website and discover that we were just a goal down and right in the match

You probably should have expected it. I watched the match at a mates came back and had a look when I get in and almost couldn't believe the comments. The second quarter was poor early but it was probably wind related. And Kennedy was massive, after his side was called soft it's to be expected...

But it took about 30 seconds to remember "this is BF and GD threads are the pits."

Read the whole thing anyway. Was good for a laugh or two.

Have stated this before, but how long until we routinely start using a lockdown/run with tagger, yesterday it was Kennedy in 1st half, v Melb, Brayshaw to an extent, v Bulldogs, the Bont/Macrae etc, seems it is par for the course for opposition ball magnets to get a relatively free run at accumulating disposals v us, despite having a dominant Ruckman more often than not.

Since we lost Jacobs, this position has not really been addressed/filled, rather ignored with the "back our boys in" strategy, Kyron gave us a tantalising glimpse before tearing his achilles, but it appears he won't be available in the short term.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
BTW, MacMillan was pretty bloody good on an outright star in Heeney. Some of the criticisms leveled at him were little more than absurd examples of CB.

E0BAC30E-1553-4C4D-BC3C-CE319967BCE3.jpeg

I know most of his possessions were easy 20m kicks but I thought Jmac played his role well.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have stated this before, but how long until we routinely start using a lockdown/run with tagger, yesterday it was Kennedy in 1st half, v Melb, Brayshaw to an extent, v Bulldogs, the Bont/Macrae etc, seems it is par for the course for opposition ball magnets to get a relatively free run at accumulating disposals v us, despite having a dominant Ruckman more often than not.

Since we lost Jacobs, this position has not really been addressed/filled, rather ignored with the "back our boys in" strategy, Kyron gave us a tantalising glimpse before tearing his achilles, but it appears he won't be available in the short term.

I have banged on about how important this is for us going forward

Bonar looks like a great prospect. We always have one player that gets off the leash with 35 or 40+ possessions that kills us.

Make it happen north!

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I was hoping the Swans would make a play for Bonar so kept an eye on him yesterday. He has all the tools to be a very good player, watching him in the NEAFL he could go missing, but from memory he had a really strong debut for GWS. He seems like a confidence player who will step up to the top level but needs to be backed in by the coaches. Hopefully Shaw and Co give him that.

The player that annoyingly caught my eye yesterday was Taylor. He had some Burgoyne-like moments of silk. Lucky you.

Hey giantroo can we expect to see a goals video from yesterday's game? If so, is there a specific thread where you upload all your videos, since the AFL took your channel down.
Yes, will upload tonight. Posting on Facebook.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
- Larkey is producing better football than Drew Petrie at the current respective stages of their careers. Will be a top shelf AFL KPF when he puts on another 5kgs+.

Ooh Tef that's a tough one.

Drew had played some very good footy for his age until that point and was already being thrown around between ruck and forward with a tiny bit of defence.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Hey giantroo can we expect to see a goals video from yesterday's game? If so, is there a specific thread where you upload all your videos, since the AFL took your channel down.

You mean the club site doesn't have them up yet along with several post match interviews?

The return to form of Hall and Maj, further improvement from Taylor, Nick Blakey struggling for a kick and the reminder of how it feels to win a game were all positives in an otherwise meaningless practice hitout. Loved seeing Larkey stand up, without Brown as the feature act, and seeing Xerri stand up as a big man should (physically).

Glad the doom and gloom of the Doggies post match has somewhat balanced out, at the very least.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
The return to form of Hall and Maj, further improvement from Taylor, Nick Blakey struggling for a kick and the reminder of how it feels to win a game were all positives in an otherwise meaningless practice hitout.

Is that right? Unfortunately the commentary didn't mention him, Naismith or frame almost every observation or encouragement from a Sydney perspective.

Is that right? Unfortunately the commentary didn't mention him, Naismith or frame almost every observation or encouragement from a Sydney perspective.

At one point the algorithm bugged and they mentioned that his Dad had played 350 games for us and won two flags.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
At one point the algorithm bugged and they mentioned that his Dad had played 350 games for us and won two flags.

That was just to hit the 'balanced coverage' quota.

Mentioning a Sydney player's father who is also a Sydney coach once playing for North Melbourne ticks off their fair coverage duties in the same way a season of House Husbands gets a network out of any tricky local content obligations.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Ooh Tef that's a tough one.

Drew had played some very good footy for his age until that point and was already being thrown around between ruck and forward with a tiny bit of defence.

Drew played 9 games in his debut season, mostly rolling off the bench, and didn't kick a goal. In his second year he did get some time up forward and notched up a total two season tally of 19 games, which is equal with Larkey's current tally.

The numbers tell it all mate.

Petrie @ 19 games: 81 kicks, 30 marks, 31 handballs, 62 hit outs, 10 goals, 7 behinds
Larkey @ 19 games: 88 kicks, 64 marks, 75 handballs, 55 hit outs, 26 goals, 8 behinds

In defence of Drew, he was about 8 months younger when he debuted, but I would still take Nick at this point.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
View attachment 836851

Only kicked one goal and one point. Had zero impact

I reckon that goal was when MacMillan was off the ground.

This return places Jamie comfortably in the best players, but you wouldn't think that reading some of the trip in the GDT.

Drew played 9 games in his debut season, mostly rolling off the bench, and didn't kick a goal. In his second year he did get some time up forward and notched up a total two season tally of 19 games, which is equal with Larkey's current tally.

The numbers tell it all mate.

Petrie @ 19 games: 81 kicks, 30 marks, 31 handballs, 62 hit outs, 10 goals, 7 behinds
Larkey @ 19 games: 88 kicks, 64 marks, 75 handballs, 55 hit outs, 26 goals, 8 behinds

In defence of Drew, he was about 8 months younger when he debuted, but I would still take Nick at this point.

I actually remember one of Drew’s early games against Adelaide at marvel stadium and he was in the ruck and was getting smashed by the Adelaide rucks.
I actually felt sorry for him as he was getting knees to every part of his body

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cunnington is our best player ...

But not necessarily the most effective. He seems to be a player of a bygone era. It would take something truly genius from shaw to keep cunninton in his role and still thrive and dominate. We would do worse than to look at sam mitchell but does cunnington have similar levels of elite disposal skills and awareness? Him as a small marking forward would be my move to maximize his usage. He should however be in the middle during slow, wet, grinding type matches.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought he ran out the game pretty well considering he played a lot of minutes. He got to a lot of contests in the second half to spoil and took a few good intercept marks. I actually thought he got better as the game went on.
We didn’t have a lot of quality tall forwards to contend with, but I thought Daw had a lot of their entries covered and they didn’t look like doing much in the air.
Personally I think he is a certainty for round 1.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sometimes, a crisis wouldn't be a bad thing for us. For instance if for some coincidence, both ziebell and cunnington went down with long term injuries, we will probably thrive on it. For one, we don't have to worry about accommodating the two in the middle as they are either not good enough or no longer suited to the modern game.

Back