Preview Sydney Swans v North Melbourne in Tassie Marsh community game Monday

Remove this Banner Ad

has the club said we cant attract staff or players?

Hayley has suggested it re assistant coaches. Not sure where I saw/heard it but I think it might have been one of those ask questions of the ceo videos last year.

Suggested it was difficult to get really good senior coaches because there are opportunities in their own states and they don’t have to relocate.

Hayley has suggested it re assistant coaches. Not sure where I saw/heard it but I think it might have been one of those ask questions of the ceo videos last year.

Suggested it was difficult to get really good senior coaches because there are opportunities in their own states and they don’t have to relocate.

might be harder for long established coaches to get new assistants as they want people they have some connection too as well

Yep. I mean do we really need to play Cunningham? I mean yes he is a servicable player and yes he will be in the round 1 team but he is very much a known commodity. Use the preseason to test out the players who are not as well known.
Cunningham missed a lot of footy last year. They may just be giving him a good run to bring him up to speed. The pleasing thing is he seems to be doing just that.

has the club said we cant attract staff or players?
Yes. Almost certain I posted a link on it last year if I recall.
There was also a comment from Dalrymple where he commented on the noticeable difference in regard to recruiting for Sydney

Call me Mr Glass 3/4 full but I thought that was a pretty good hitout. The players obviously took on board the feedback from our dismal showing against the Giants. We looked sharp and moved the ball quickly through the corridor. JPK was back to golden form. Some of our young mids really stepped up. We put getting game time into youngsters above winning the game, although a couple of silly decisions by both umpires and our players could have seen the result go the other way. I liked the mix of prepping our best 22 for round 1 vs. trialling a bunch of newbies. Taylor and Gray both showed they'll be welcome additions. We escaped pretty much injury free. McCartin looked a lot sharper. Sinclair reminded us why we were smashed in the ruck over the last couple of seasons. Naismith looked as good as I've seen him. Stephens continued to improve. Having both Rampe & Mills back stiffened out defence and Aliir looks like he could take another step. Hayward looked dangerous and fast on his leads. It's great news that he wasn't suspended. Papley showed us he plays as good in red shorts as navy blue ones. Forward pressure was much improved over last game. The game plan looks very sharp when the skills are there to execute it. Rebounding quickly, attacking play and willing to take the ball through the corridor. Pressure was good too. Plenty of goals coming from turnovers. A couple more big targets would have been useful up forward as we have some very good smalls buzzing around. It would have been good for guys like Amatey, McInerney and Ronke to get more game time as they struggled to get into it but it's hard when we have so many young players wanting a kick. Overall I think there was a good balance of getting enough game time into newbies but still being competitive and having enough experienced players to keep our structures in place. My only disappointment was not seeing Ling in action.

I think AA can go up another level this year...will probably have to given how weak we are in the middle.

With Buddy & Reid currently out we have no tall experienced forwards, that's going to hurt sooner rather than later. Not sure the smalls have the quality to make up the difference, Paps can't do it on his own. McCartin & Hayward need to keep improving as the year goes on and Gray will hopefully help.

I'm close to offering up a first born if it meant we could get Zac Williams next year and play him in the middle.

Is Hewitt injured? Just not impressing me atm.

I have now had the opportunity to watch the first half. Due to FOX having technical difficulties delivering the stream on Watch AFL I did not get it on Monday.

If we play like we did in the second half of the first quarter up ro half time we will win plenty of games. But we cannot allow ourselves to play the way we did in the second half. I think we looked extremely good for most of the first half. The start was a worry but most of their goals were from frees. By the way the umpiring was putrid. I'm sure there is a directive to really punish the Swans. The amount of throws dished out by Norf was astounding. I mean blatant one handers right in front of the umpires and those Moles let them go. Astounding. I really hope this is not going to be a theme of the season. Throw all you like unless you are the Swans.

Call me Mr Glass 3/4 full but I thought that was a pretty good hitout. The players obviously took on board the feedback from our dismal showing against the Giants. We looked sharp and moved the ball quickly through the corridor. JPK was back to golden form. Some of our young mids really stepped up. We put getting game time into youngsters above winning the game, although a couple of silly decisions by both umpires and our players could have seen the result go the other way. I liked the mix of prepping our best 22 for round 1 vs. trialling a bunch of newbies. Taylor and Gray both showed they'll be welcome additions. We escaped pretty much injury free. McCartin looked a lot sharper. Sinclair reminded us why we were smashed in the ruck over the last couple of seasons. Naismith looked as good as I've seen him. Stephens continued to improve. Having both Rampe & Mills back stiffened out defence and Aliir looks like he could take another step. Hayward looked dangerous and fast on his leads. It's great news that he wasn't suspended. Papley showed us he plays as good in red shorts as navy blue ones. Forward pressure was much improved over last game. The game plan looks very sharp when the skills are there to execute it. Rebounding quickly, attacking play and willing to take the ball through the corridor. Pressure was good too. Plenty of goals coming from turnovers. A couple more big targets would have been useful up forward as we have some very good smalls buzzing around. It would have been good for guys like Amatey, McInerney and Ronke to get more game time as they struggled to get into it but it's hard when we have so many young players wanting a kick. Overall I think there was a good balance of getting enough game time into newbies but still being competitive and having enough experienced players to keep our structures in place. My only disappointment was not seeing Ling in action.
Get the hell out of here with that reasonable level of positivity.

I have now had the opportunity to watch the first half. Due to FOX having technical difficulties delivering the stream on Watch AFL I did not get it on Monday.

If we play like we did in the second half of the first quarter up ro half time we will win plenty of games. But we cannot allow ourselves to play the way we did in the second half. I think we looked extremely good for most of the first half. The start was a worry but most of their goals were from frees. By the way the umpiring was putrid. I'm sure there is a directive to really punish the Swans. The amount of throws dished out by Norf was astounding. I mean blatant one handers right in front of the umpires and those Moles let them go. Astounding. I really hope this is not going to be a theme of the season. Throw all you like unless you are the Swans.

On the basis of the throws, I'm backing north for the flag.Its obviously part of the plan.

i think the rule is stupid though,

I know we have head issues, but to me footy carries those risks

players don't have to worry about going in for the ball now as they know the opponent will hang back or cop weeks, there's less fear and as a consequence more go head first imo

I agree King and Hayward had little chance of stopping in that situation. There was an incident in the first half where Taylor met a Norf player both competing for the same ball. a free was given to the Norf player and quite frankly I was confused. They both met head on shoulders down in a good contest for the ball. It should have been play on. If players can no longer contest the ball I am going to follow another sport. I hate all this bullshit.

The greater part of the problem of concussion is not players going in too hard or the wrong way it is players not using good technique when going for the ball. The go into a low contest head first, in the case of Selwood deliberately knowing he will get a free, they should attack the ball shoulder first protecting their head. That is the major problem. In the air bumps are a different matter and have always been problematic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you cherry picking here... and I think that those of Kennedy's mold fit into any team well... but this could go on forever, so we'll agree to disagree...

In the second quarter the midfield consisted of Parker, Rowbottom and Florent. They did very well. In fact they were unpredictable and won the clearances. Rowie is sensational and will be a great player. His ability to dispose effectively in tight situations is amazing. I watched Joeyin the same spaces and more space give to players who were under the pump again and again. He almost had Rowie killed with a dreadful handball to his feet surrounded by three Norf players. Joey's decision making has always been a problem when handballing. His disposal has always been the side of his game that has let him down. Of course it was never, and probably still won't be, a worry because he gets so much of it. But I would dearly like him to think before he shoots the ball out. Sometimes a kick is better or a long handball to clear the congestion.

Except he doesn't even do that anymore. Just kicks in and occasionally scoops up a loose ball in defence and tries to clear it.

I don't agree with the statement the Lloyd is limited. I think he would be better up the ground. He is a superb set shot for goal and not bad in close as well as on the outside. He has super endurance and when on the run is a super kick. I don't think his temperament is suited to kicking in. But then again I did not think Macca's was either. Macca had a tendency to do a Lloyd every second or third week too.

There was a couple of length of the ground forward entries that required a key forward but fell apart. Papley just can’t be the target. Seen him in the kicked to as his effort demands the ball but unless it’s a perfect kick he can’t win a contested mark. Even a less than ideal Reid as a target makes Papley a better player alongside

There needs to be a tall up there and Papley crumbing

For those that believe Naismith got toweled up, he didn't. Stats say he didn't. his second efforts were good and several of his possessions and clearances will not count on the stats because he knocked the ball to a Swans player. Goldstein won around the ground and the total contest with 27 HO and 21 Disposals whereas Naismith had 27 HO and 9 Disposals. I think Big Sam can get better around the ground and will. But some of his ruck work was extremely good especially in the second quarter. It was a conduit to our dominance. We won the clearances and our spread from defence was helped by a lot of bullocking done by Sam in tight to help players get the ball out.

I want to mention one thing. Horse and Roos have never been fans of the shepherd but in the game Monday there were several shepherds that were really telling. Lewie Taylor shepherds in defence and we get a run on and goal. Sam Grey shepherds Papley and he gets a totally unimpeded run into goal. GOLD

I like Dawson in the back half but we gotta be careful he doesn't end up playing too defensively. He's there to play loose, sweep across for intercept marks and use his vision to start rebounds. But all he really did these Marsh games was just defend in one-on-ones.

That is why I'd rather Gould down there. Gould is a natural defender. Dawson is not. I like Dawson further up the ground delivering to the forwards. A Peter Curren style role, he played for Hawthorn and the Bears for those who are new to the sport, on the wing would be good.

In the second quarter the midfield consisted of Parker, Rowbottom and Florent. They did very well. In fact they were unpredictable and won the clearances. Rowie is sensational and will be a great player. His ability to dispose effectively in tight situations is amazing. I watched Joeyin the same spaces and more space give to players who were under the pump again and again. He almost had Rowie killed with a dreadful handball to his feet surrounded by three Norf players. Joey's decision making has always been a problem when handballing. His disposal has always been the side of his game that has let him down. Of course it was never, and probably still won't be, a worry because he gets so much of it. But I would dearly like him to think before he shoots the ball out. Sometimes a kick is better or a long handball to clear the congestion.

Our best clearance of the whole game came from like the one time Florent was at the ball drop, roved it beautifully and nailed the kick on the clearance. We were inside 50 within 5 seconds and resulted in a goal. He needs to work on the disparity between his best and his worst footy, but it was a great example of how Florent can add a different element to our midfield that we've not really had, that of the quick and silky rover.

That is why I'd rather Gould down there. Gould is a natural defender. Dawson is not. I like Dawson further up the ground delivering to the forwards. A Peter Curren style role, he played for Hawthorn and the Bears for those who are new to the sport, on the wing would be good.
Due to the unique shape of the SCG... delivering from defence , could be delivering into the forwards..
What I like about dawson from defence...is his kicks have the ability to go over players heads. At the 3rd highest % efficiency I heard? in the comp.
Though I think as Gould comes along. He'll be that guy. He has a thumping kick and decent speed. Dawson will play higher.

Naismith needs to dominate the tap work to make up for the fact he does sweet fa around the ground

Couple of times he got it pretty cleanly out to Parker, only for those opportunities to be squandered.

Even if Naismith did dominate, we don't have the midfield group to capitalise on it and make that dominance count.

Couple of times he got it pretty cleanly out to Parker, only for those opportunities to be squandered.

Even if Naismith did dominate, we don't have the midfield group to capitalise on it and make that dominance count.
work in progress man..
Its not like they have had a ruckman since the semi final vs Geelong in 2017.....

Then he is of no value if that’s true

Remove this Banner Ad

Back