Round One 2020 Lineup

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Madgen continues to impress me and I reckon he'll get the round one nod over Daicos, due to having too little defensive depth in the side. Daicos is going to struggle cracking the team ahead of Brown, Thomas and Hoskin-Elliott, whereas presuming Noble plays down back, only Mayne and possibly Hoskin-Elliott for small stints stand as potential seventh defenders.

Would appear Madgen has gone past Schaz as that third tall at the moment. With Keane starting to impress Schaz has some work ahead to get in to best 22.

vicparksfinest

Senior List
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Going to be hard for Sier to work his way into the team sadly, Rantall is an exciting prospect and just needs to demonstrate he’s capable in VFL and could get a call up, whereas you’d think Sier needs to DOMINATE to prove he’s ready...
Daicos is showing he finally ready (I don’t believe he’s going to help us get a flag but that’s just me) so that’s another person to leapfrog, and of course Wills, who really doesn’t have to do much to keep his spot, the coaches are with him and so long as he keeps high tackle numbers he’s safe.....
Would appear Madgen has gone past Schaz as that third tall at the moment. With Keane starting to impress Schaz has some work ahead to get in to best 22.
I would much rather see Keane get games ahead of Shaz, has pace and isn’t afraid to play rough, Shaz as smooth as he is, isn’t hard enough.
I agree Madgen is ahead at this stage but that won’t last to long, good for the time being tho.
Would love to see Kelly press his case this year too

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Based on the formal selection of game 2 in the practice matches this is the 22 I’m guessing the match committee will select. I’m basing this solely on known available S players and the selection pattern and last year’s general selections.
eg: Callum Brown is seen as a regular 22 pretty much, Wills is seen as having a spot before Sier....

Collingwood ~ Round 1

B. B Maynard ~ J Roughead ~ J Noble
HB. J Crisp ~ D Moore ~ J Howe
C. C Mayne ~ S Sidebottom ~ T Phillips
HF. J De Goey ~ B Mihocek ~ J Stephenson
F. J Elliott ~ M Cox ~ W Hoskin-Elliott
R. B Grundy ~ S Pendlebury (c) ~ T Adams
I. R Wills ~ J Thomas ~ C Brown ~ J Daicos

E. D Cameron, M Keane, N Murphy, T Brown

I think Thomas, Phillips and Cal Brown are all vulnerable. I think Daicos and Tyler Brown for instance have had a better impact in the Marsh Cup games. Even Stevo had little impact yesterday but can't see him being omitted.

saha

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we look at how the day was structured yesterday, Thomas and T.Brown were the ones outside the 22. So I would say the question is whether either have jumped in front of those perceived to be in front of them.

Therefore, is Thomas ahead of C.Brown? It would seem not due to the latter’s presence on the ball in bursts in recent weeks that he wouldn’t be. And despite Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliott struggling they both are seen as being able to play the deepest role.

The other question is whether Tyler will offer more than Wills. The vast majority here would say ‘yes’ but, as has been pointed out, Tyler’s VFL numbers have not yet set the world alight and he got nine disposals in 39% game time yesterday after coming on when others were starting to fatigue. For all his faults and deficiencies, I’d prefer to have a stronger battering ram in there against the Dogs midfield but I can understand why many would be of the other view

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Thomas, Phillips and Cal Brown are all vulnerable. I think Daicos and Tyler Brown for instance have had a better impact in the Marsh Cup games. Even Stevo had little impact yesterday but can't see him being omitted.
All valid points.
Though historically we seem a conservative selection committee.

Thomas, Phillips, Brown C all seem to be viewed as incumbents and likely have spots pretty much locked for the time being.

You are correct with Stephenson, limited impact but certain selection.

(Jaidyn is a rightful absolute lock, they allowing him the space to fully recover from the illness he had and expect him to be right for Round 1.)

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Based on the formal selection of game 2 in the practice matches this is the 22 I’m guessing the match committee will select. I’m basing this solely on known available S players and the selection pattern and last year’s general selections.
eg: Callum Brown is seen as a regular 22 pretty much, Wills is seen as having a spot before Sier....

Collingwood ~ Round 1

B. B Maynard ~ J Roughead ~ J Noble
HB. J Crisp ~ D Moore ~ J Howe
C. C Mayne ~ S Sidebottom ~ T Phillips
HF. J De Goey ~ B Mihocek ~ J Stephenson
F. J Elliott ~ M Cox ~ W Hoskin-Elliott
R. B Grundy ~ S Pendlebury (c) ~ T Adams
I. R Wills ~ J Thomas ~ C Brown ~ J Daicos

E. D Cameron, M Keane, N Murphy, T Brown

This will be close to the mark. Adams under an injury cloud so that may give selectors a reason this early in a season to be a touch more conservative.

Would ha e proffered Cameron to get an early look at it ahead of Cox.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thought Daicos was gonna miss but after his pre-season showings, I think he plays over one of C Brown or Thomas. Madgen stays in.
I’d think Madgen misses.

Somebody can explain me the virtue of Madgen when there’s a nice list of back area talent available?

I wish him well, but not sure I see it myself. He has endeavour, I get that. But I’m not feeling it.

Pies_10

Premiership Player
May 29, 2007
Rosebud,Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal, Baltimore Ravens
Really interested to find out what everyone's thoughts are on why Collingwood will be as good if not better this year.
We have an bought anyone into the club and our main weakness the forward line hasn't gotten any better in my opinion.
That doesn't mean that we won't be as good or even better but I have some serious doubts.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Really interested to find out what everyone's thoughts are on why Collingwood will be as good if not better this year.
We have an bought anyone into the club and our main weakness the forward line hasn't gotten any better in my opinion.
That doesn't mean that we won't be as good or even better but I have some serious doubts.
We are not better than 2019. And certainly not at 2018 standard.
We have not recruited any ready made stars. We have lost a very good player to mental health.
The future players are coming on, slowly. The cult figure is never going to make it. The game plan is boring, but may be effective in limiting scores against. The forward entries are chaotic, to be kind.
And the coaching style exhibited in the Marsh series is “Richmond Lite”. They still haven’t worked out that we need our own 0lan to defeat the Dustys.
I believe we are 6th at the absolute best. 10th at worse.
DeEs to go past us. Saints to go past us. Gold Coast to fight us for a place in the eight. And I’m bullish on Essendon in the first half of the season. Will fall away after that.

Nuffsaid

Team Captain
Nov 25, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Improvement is only really going to be in list health if anything. Moore, DeGoey, Elliott, Stephenson playing 20+ games would be a big start.
A less likely path would be that Rantall, Murphy, Sier Types trend up rapidly to overtake Thomas, Mayne, Wills.
A lot hangs on whether Cox can be consistent too.

Durzo

Draftee
Feb 21, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just spent a little time at work putting this together. I don't think i'm missing anyone.

I feel as though Josh Thomas is the most vulnerable in this when Treloar is ready.

The improvement will hopefully come from Moore, Elliot and Stevo playing more games and an return to 2018 levels of production in our Fwd line.
I am excited to watch the Brown boys, Daicos, Stevo and Noble all stepping up this season.

1583885919256.png

We have not recruited any ready made stars. We have lost a very good player to mental health.
The future players are coming on, slowly. The cult figure is never going to make it. The game plan is boring, but may be effective in limiting scores against. The forward entries are chaotic, to be kind.
And the coaching style exhibited in the Marsh series is “Richmond Lite”. They still haven’t worked out that we need our own 0lan to defeat the Dustys.
DeEs to go past us. Saints to go past us. Gold Coast to fight us for a place in the eight. And I’m bullish on Essendon in the first half of the season. Will fall away after that.

this makes everything else you said Irrelevant

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
FB: Brayden Maynard ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Jeremy Howe
HB: Jack Crisp ~ Darcy Moore ~ John Noble

R: Brodie Grundy ~ Taylor Adams ~ Scott Pendlebury
C: Tom Phillips ~ Rupert Wills ~ Steele Sidebottom

HF: Josh Daicos ~ Brody Mihocek ~ Jaidyn Stephenson
FF: Jamie Elliot ~ Darcy Cameron ~ Jordan De Goey

Int: Will Hoskin-Elliot ~ Chris Mayne ~ Jack Madgen ~ Callum Brown
Emg: Mason Cox ~ Jay Rantall ~ Josh Thomas/ Tyler Brown

SwanBet

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Heaven
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just spent a little time at work putting this together. I don't think i'm missing anyone.

I feel as though Josh Thomas is the most vulnerable in this when Treloar is ready.

The improvement will hopefully come from Moore, Elliot and Stevo playing more games and an return to 2018 levels of production in our Fwd line.
I am excited to watch the Brown boys, Daicos, Stevo and Noble all stepping up this season.

View attachment 837386

This is my team exactly but i would swap Quaynor (or even Murphy if match-ups permit) for Daicos. We typically run with 7 backs. Quaynor will spell the backs, Wills in the midfield, Thomas up forward and Mayne through the wings / where ever needed.

Treloar will replace Thomas the following week shifting DeGoey or whoever into more of a forward role. Would love to see Tyler Brown start of Thomas but i don't think it will happen.

Durzo

Draftee
Feb 21, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is my team exactly but i would swap Quaynor (or even Murphy if match-ups permit) for Daicos. We typically run with 7 backs. Quaynor will spell the backs, Wills in the midfield, Thomas up forward and Mayne through the wings / where ever needed.

Treloar will replace Thomas the following week shifting DeGoey or whoever into more of a forward role. Would love to see Tyler Brown start of Thomas but i don't think it will happen.

You have the same thoughts as me I believe. Mayne has been playing with the backs. Sort of like the Greenwood role from the past two years. He was the 7th defender I had. I do think it will be Treloar in - Thomas out when he is fit.

Saintly Viewed

Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
What’s interesting is our projected side for Round 1 give or take, is largely similar to players of last season.

We look not to shake things up even a little bit.

Assuming we play games in the next few months, it might be a good few games before we see new blood taking a position and solidifying their new found place.

Another interesting aside, if the season does go, lightning (ie lots of quick games, shorter periods, less time between games to get a season done on some level) our long medium depth might actually be of benefit.
I think medium talent wise, we bat deep. A squad mentality might just pay off.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
That wouldn't matter if we had a 2018 standard draw this year, but the past couple of years our draws have been much tougher than 2018.

Harry O

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool
With some of our injury and preparation issues, and given our tough draw, I think it is in our best interests if round 1 is postponed/cancelled. Gives Treloar some time to recover and gives a bit more track work for likes of Stevo, JDG etc to be ready for the season

Back