Past #16: Aiden Bonar - drafted by GWS #11 '17 ND - traded to NM end '19 - 25 NM games - thx Bon

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, and used his size to push a few blokes around. Reckon he has the requisite dog in him to be a real intimidator ala Mumford.
Well, by the direction football is going, Mumford styles will be a thing of the past. But it appears that the natural transition for our ruck stocks is in place.
the club appears to take the long slow route. I hope Xerri's natural love for the club holds him to us til the day he gets full responsibility.

Bonar given the all clear.

"There was better news for Davies-Uniacke's housemate Aiden Bonar, with scans on the former Giant's tight hamstring coming back clear. "

Bonar given the all clear.

"There was better news for Davies-Uniacke's housemate Aiden Bonar, with scans on the former Giant's tight hamstring coming back clear. "

more opportunity for thomas to run along the wing and gut, zurhaar developing a better tank and turning into a mid will be another trump card. 2020 would also see anderson and simpkin establishing as front-line midfielder to support cunnington and hopefully allowing higgins to be super support type who has the license to run.

Great news! I like what I have seen so far

Hasn't looked overly lost and obviously his physique means that he can get right into things from the get go and hopefully give us some more variety in there. Looks a touch tentative with playmaking but likely nerves and hopefully nothing a few games won't help settle down.

Hasn't looked overly lost and obviously his physique means that he can get right into things from the get go and hopefully give us some more variety in there. Looks a touch tentative with playmaking but likely nerves and hopefully nothing a few games won't help settle down.

Plus he needs time to gel with our boys

Someone suggested maybe a defensive midfielder/tagger

thanks to giantroo for the highlights package of all the North goals versus the Swans (for which see grtv on Facebook). Interesting that with Joe Kennedy running rampant, two of the North goals (the Curtis Taylor piece of candy, and the Jed Anderson mark and goal) involved Bonar either keeping Kennedy out of the contest or spoiling his ball to keep it alive for North.

QED = Aiden is a keeper

thanks to giantroo for the highlights package of all the North goals versus the Swans (for which see grtv on Facebook). Interesting that with Joe Kennedy running rampant, two of the North goals (the Curtis Taylor piece of candy, and the Jed Anderson mark and goal) involved Bonar either keeping Kennedy out of the contest or spoiling his ball to keep it alive for North.

QED = Aiden is a keeper
I reckon he is playing round 1. People have gone off the idea since he only played the second half but that was just about management coming back from injury. Up to that point he had played all intra clubs, Bulldogs and Melbourne praccies.

I reckon he is playing round 1. People have gone off the idea since he only played the second half but that was just about management coming back from injury. Up to that point he had played all intra clubs, Bulldogs and Melbourne praccies.
I agree; if he's got the capacity to nullify the opposition's best mid, he's a lock

The unknown with him is his level of footy smarts but he's the type of player we've been screaming out for. An onballer with genuine inside and outside traits. I wouldn't be wasting him in a run with or tagging role. I'd be unleashing him.

Last edited:
The unknown with him is his level of footy smarts but he's the type of player we've been screaming out for. An onballer with genuine inside and outside traits. I wouldn't be wasting him in a run with or tagging role. I'd be unleashing him.

And ability to run out games.

I think he’s struggle tagging and matching it with the elite midfielders for a whole game at this stage of his development.

But I still think he should play round 1. We looked better when he was in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he’s struggle tagging and matching it with the elite midfielders for a whole game at this stage of his development.

But I still think he should play round 1. We looked better when he was in the middle.

That's okay, not matching for a whole game, parts of the game will be a good start. One quarter will be a success as good coach will find ways to mitigate his inexperience but give him development time and build his confidence. With higgins 32, Bonar is absolutely a top notch replacement. We have never drafted any top top superstars or that we have never being able to develop young top end talents into superstars.

Do we actually know how fit he is?

Get Jacobs to take him under his wing right now and let’s see what he can do

Developing a tagger should be a top priority!

No to Bonar being any sort of a tagger. North need him like on the weekend to use his size and speed to brake away from the pack. Once Bonar can do that. It will make a massive difference to the team. If anything may help LDU’s game to.

After he's run out of the middle a few times and booted them on the run from the centre square other sides are gonna be focused on tagging him.

More targets to tag for other teams the better, it allows Higgins, Cunnington, Tarryn and LDU when he plays some breathing room to get off the hook.

No to Bonar being any sort of a tagger. North need him like on the weekend to use his size and speed to brake away from the pack. Once Bonar can do that. It will make a massive difference to the team. If anything may help LDU’s game to.

LDU won’t be playing for a while

Bonar tagging Kennedy out of the game in the second half contributed to us winning

Bonar has got all the superstar quality about him, it's just weather or not we have the coaching system to get him to become the superstar. Atley for instance never became the superstar we saw him in 2012 and the reason largely lies with the limitation of the coach in that Brad Scott focused on trying to develop the areas of game he is not good at instead of get him to excel in areas he has natural talent in. The end product is a exceptionally talented and quick player coming out of half back who collects 25 possessions a game without being damaging or causing headaches in the opposition team. If Atley was at richmond, hawthorn for instance, he would have been placed in positions where he gets to run and take on the oppositions and make the opposition react to him running. Forget about disposal skills, shocking kicking, get him running and taking on others. Once the player is confident and on a roll, all aspects of his game clicks and improve in a game. Does rhyce shaw have the ability to simplify his gameplan and get him in the zone of his strength?

I'd argue that he uses the ball better than Dangerfield.
One of his team mates called him "an animal". It's about right. He's a ******* beast.

Personally I see know issue with Bonar spending time shadowing a bloke this. Firstly he actually cut his influence. And he'll learn a shitload.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back