Player Watch #17 - Harley Bennell - Fingers can now be uncrossed

Remove this Banner Ad

Tis just a wee calf strain after sprinting for the first time in 2 years - I reckon that would have been expected

And before everyone asks me my qualifications - I was Dux in Biology in 1997

Considering the clubs optimistic vision is a midseason return, do you think these kinds of strains are planned for as he continues to push his body to AFL fitness?

Considering the clubs optimistic vision is a midseason return, do you think these kinds of strains are planned for as he continues to push his body to AFL fitness?
Im assuming they are? Like you can't expect that we would push him and hed never have a setback.

Yes I do, I suspect it is in the mid-season timing. I imagine they would have planned to loose a few weeks along the road with strains and so on. The guy couldn't run for yonks, had surgery, and is in rehab

That said I have no idea what kind of strain it is. I just know my calfs hurt after a training session when I haven't trained for ages

Yes I do, I suspect it is in the mid-season timing. I imagine they would have planned to loose a few weeks along the road with strains and so on. The guy couldn't run for yonks, had surgery, and is in rehab

That said I have no idea what kind of strain it is. I just know my calfs hurt after a training session when I haven't trained for ages

Yeah that's true, my calfs hurt every time I go for a run once every six months.

As others have said, it's not too out of the ordinary for someone in his position, and it sounds like something absolutely accounted for. The important thing is it's minor, particularly given at Freo previously, any injuries have been more serious, and given Lyon's comments, those serious issues came from far less intensity of training, which is actually pretty concerning given they'd brought him back into games on several occasions.

As others have said, it's not too out of the ordinary for someone in his position, and it sounds like something absolutely accounted for. The important thing is it's minor, particularly given at Freo previously, any injuries have been more serious, and given Lyon's comments, those serious issues came from far less intensity of training, which is actually pretty concerning given they'd brought him back into games on several occasions.
Yeah, I'd love to stay positive, but it's looking unlikely he'll get back to senior footy. Everytime he's steps up training he does a calf. I wonder if we persist with him if doesn't play a game this season? When we say long term, does that mean more than this season? Hopefully he can prove everyone wrong and get out there..

Welcome to the Harley rollercoaster. Ross can say all he wants about Harley's running form but the simple fact is that his body is just not up to it.

These are the same chain of events as Freo supporters experienced. Harley didn't have a number of serious injuries while he was with us, it was always calf strains and minor calf tears whenever we were trying to slowly build him up again and again.

If you don't have any expectations you'll be fine when the club also comes to this realisation.

Welcome to the Harley rollercoaster. Ross can say all he wants about Harley's running form but the simple fact is that his body is just not up to it.

If you don't have any expectations you'll be fine when the club also comes to this realisation.
Don't really need you coming across here with your opinion. Kindly keep it to yourself next time.

Yeah, I'd love to stay positive, but it's looking unlikely he'll get back to senior footy. Everytime he's steps up training he does a calf. I wonder if we persist with him if doesn't play a game this season? When we say long term, does that mean more than this season? Hopefully he can prove everyone wrong and get out there..
Speaking as someone who has some really ordinary calves, doing a calf strain every time you step up your training isn't unsual, I've actually done 3 in the last 4 weeks, mostly because I get back running, feel good, push myself too hard and it goes ping again, but I'm right to go literally a week later. At the moment, it seems like a 2 steps forward, 1 step back situation, which is slow and frustrating for all involved, but it'll still get you there ... until a significant tear happens which is 10 steps back, but we aren't there yet.

Speaking as someone who has some really ordinary calves, doing a calf strain every time you step up your training isn't unsual, I've actually done 3 in the last 4 weeks, mostly because I get back running, feel good, push myself too hard and it goes ping again, but I'm right to go literally a week later. At the moment, it seems like a 2 steps forward, 1 step back situation, which is slow and frustrating for all involved, but it'll still get you there ... until a significant tear happens which is 10 steps back, but we aren't there yet.
Exactly. A strain could mean 1-2 weeks away from running, not great but not the end of the world

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really need you coming across here with your opinion. Kindly keep it to yourself next time.
It's not really an opinion though - its the way it is. Harley might be 'sprinting on his toes', but he has a million more hoops to jump through before rebbuilding his career and two calf strains in a month is pretty bad news.

It's not really an opinion though - its the way it is. Harley might be 'sprinting on his toes', but he has a million more hoops to jump through before rebbuilding his career and two calf strains in a month is pretty bad news.
So who gives a s**t if there's a little hope mixed in? That's the whole point of watching a game

Don't need blokes from Freo coming across telling us about impending doom everytime there's a news story.

Sucks but I would have been shocked if he went the season without niggles. Makes you realize why the club is being so conservative saying they're aiming for him to play after the bye.

Makes me think the whole thing is a waste of time. But I'm way too negative with these sort of things that may not even be that big.

Who woulda thought ramping up your running would mean a strained muscle.. obviously its going to happen but positive is hes never reached running how he has so let it rest and push it abit further next time. still has over 3 months to get it right to play after the mid season break. Reckon this was all accounted for

Who woulda thought ramping up your running would mean a strained muscle.. obviously its going to happen but positive is hes never reached running how he has so let it rest and push it abit further next time. still has over 3 months to get it right to play after the mid season break. Reckon this was all accounted for

I'll be able to sleep well tonight after reading this. Ty Blitz. 💗

I'll be able to sleep well tonight after reading this. Ty Blitz. 💗
A spliff would also get the same result.. Really if it doesnt work out who ******* cares? We lose absolutely nothing. You look at who else has been picked up since the draft and you can see why we are taking a punt but we'll also be looking for someone else to take at the mid season draft if he does fall apart. Risk/reward.

A spliff would also get the same result.. Really if it doesnt work out who ******* cares? We lose absolutely nothing. You look at who else has been picked up since the draft and you can see why we are taking a punt but we'll also be looking for someone else to take at the mid season draft if he does fall apart. Risk/reward.

Yes! Blitz said we can pick up Jesse Hogan in the mid year draft!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

So long as its not a player that can threaten Nathan Jones spot in the side I'm fine with whatevs. 😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Back