Preview Sydney Swans v North Melbourne in Tassie Marsh community game Monday

Correct, though my point is more that basically no ruck would be of value with the way our midfield operates.

i think unless you have a great ruckman just throw any old player in and get value elsewhere

the art of the ruck has been ruined

i think unless you have a great ruckman just throw any old player in and get value elsewhere

the art of the ruck has been ruined

Indeed, though I think it's been aided by the growing number of midfielders who can't read taps/get an effective clearance to maximise the ruck's work anyway. Take Max Gawn for example. I personally think he's the best tap ruck I've seen in my lifetime, even better than Cox in terms of pure ability to get it into his midfielder's hands. But his midfielders are slow, don't use it very well, don't work very well together, and often turn it over and lose possession as quickly as they got it. Gawn must sit there thinking why do I even bother.

We have two mids coming through who don't appear to fit into that mould, which is encouraging, but they are in the minority and there's still a lot of time for them to develop bad habits.

Indeed, though I think it's been aided by the growing number of midfielders who can't read taps/get an effective clearance to maximise the ruck's work anyway. Take Max Gawn for example. I personally think he's the best tap ruck I've seen in my lifetime, even better than Cox in terms of pure ability to get it into his midfielder's hands. But his midfielders are slow, don't use it very well, don't work very well together, and often turn it over and lose possession as quickly as they got it. Gawn must sit there thinking why do I even bother.

We have two mids coming through who don't appear to fit into that mould, which is encouraging, but they are in the minority and there's still a lot of time for them to develop bad habits.

gawn better tap ruck than cox?? wow thats a massive call each to their own

i think madden was right with the circle and line and starting outside it

gawn better tap ruck than cox?? wow thats a massive call each to their own

i think madden was right with the circle and line and starting outside it

Cox was the overall better player because he was like an extra mid and just so clean, but I was talking strictly the tap work from palm to player. Gawn is a master at it, makes it look so easy.

Unfortunately never saw Madden, but my granddad said he was the best he'd seen, so I'm gonna assume that Madden would know best.

Cox was the overall better player because he was like an extra mid and just so clean, but I was talking strictly the tap work from palm to player. Gawn is a master at it, makes it look so easy.

Unfortunately never saw Madden, but my granddad said he was the best he'd seen, so I'm gonna assume that Madden would know best.

yep pure tap work id have cox still

but both maddens ahead

This was a decent write-up of the game. Particularly liked the bits at the end where the author kinda questions a few of our youngsters which I actually like to see, as it means at least they were getting the respect of being watched and noticed. Unlike commentators who just fawn over every one of our youngsters even when you can tell they've never actually bothered to pay any close attention to them.

This was a decent write-up of the game. Particularly liked the bits at the end where the author kinda questions a few of our youngsters which I actually like to see, as it means at least they were getting the respect of being watched and noticed. Unlike commentators who just fawn over every one of our youngsters even when you can tell they've never actually bothered to pay any close attention to them.

I love The Mongret Punt, it has become the only (well apart from Titus) footy articles I read.
Always balanced, fair and written by people who actually watch the game.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Our best clearance of the whole game came from like the one time Florent was at the ball drop, roved it beautifully and nailed the kick on the clearance. We were inside 50 within 5 seconds and resulted in a goal. He needs to work on the disparity between his best and his worst footy, but it was a great example of how Florent can add a different element to our midfield that we've not really had, that of the quick and silky rover.
He's young, give him time to bake in the consistency. Florent is improving year on year. He can work on the inside but has that ability to burst from a pack with speed. Future champion midfielder.

Last edited:

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
What worries me is Curtis Taylor looked like football player who knew how to play.

Hayward looked utterly clueless like he he getting worse year on year.

#
Besides that brief moment of stupidity I was impressed with Hayward. His pace looks much improved too. He missed quite a bit of footy due to injury last season so he could be expected to be a bit rusty. He's only 21 but with 53 games going into his 4th year that makes him almost a veteran at the Swans so he'll be looking to step it up over this season. Judged purely as a 21yr old medium sized forward he's impressive. Compared to Ronke who's a year older and was picked up earlier in the same draft Hayward is well ahead.

He's young, give him time to bake in the consistency. Florent is improving year on year. He can work on the inside but has that ability to burst from a pack with speed. Future champion midfielder.

Don't need to convince me, I am a Florent fan. To me he is the most exciting young player on our list, though not our best, because of what he represents. To have a midfielder who hits the ball at full pace, has evasion and agility, and can burst away and attack... that is unheard of for us. Our midfield over the last basically two decades has consisted of names like Maxfield, Kirk, Bolton, ROK, Matthews, Crouch, Jack, Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker, Mitchell... all hard as nails and warriors at the coalface but they share one flaw and it's their lack of pace or attacking ability. Florent can be something very different.

What worries me is Curtis Taylor looked like football player who knew how to play.

Hayward looked utterly clueless like he he getting worse year on year.

#

Curtis Taylor was very impressive in his U18s in possibly the most competitive draft year I can recall. If he went on to become a gun that would not surprise me at all. I was underwhelmed by Hayward, but it was only pre-season, and I don't think there would be any shame if Taylor went on to become a better player than Hayward. He needs to just keep focusing on his own game and improving it. I doubt he or the club would be worrying about what the other youngsters in the competition are doing.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think AA can go up another level this year...will probably have to given how weak we are in the middle.

With Buddy & Reid currently out we have no tall experienced forwards, that's going to hurt sooner rather than later. Not sure the smalls have the quality to make up the difference, Paps can't do it on his own. McCartin & Hayward need to keep improving as the year goes on and Gray will hopefully help.

I'm close to offering up a first born if it meant we could get Zac Williams next year and play him in the middle.

Is Hewitt injured? Just not impressing me atm.

McCartin, though still young, has enough games into him now where he needs to perform. It's a big year for him. Thought he was going to be our KPD for the next 5 years but with Bud and Reid out it's a chance for him to deliver on the promise up forward.

Hewett batters himself every time we play for points, I don't hold it against him if he takes the preseason at half pace. I hope it is a case of this anyways.

I think the club are hoping Stephens will be our Zac Williams, though I can't shake the feeling we got a low teens selection at pick 5 at this stage.
Zac would be great for us.

Last edited:

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
NBA season suspended as player tested positive for the virus and his team in quarantine.
I expect the same here really.
What the hell we going to do without footy ! ?
Can the league play the season out on play station? Best two players from each team take the controls and play over the net. :sweatsmile:

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
NBA season suspended as player tested positive for the virus and his team in quarantine.
I expect the same here really.
What the hell we going to do without footy ! ?
Can the league play the season out on play station? Best two players from each team take the controls and play over the net. :sweatsmile:
Coming into winter the situation in Australia will get much worse. Will any team want to be travelling by plane ? I can't see teams wanting to drive between cities or to play in empty stadiums (a natural advantage for GWS as they're used to it). There's a huge potential for a whole team getting the virus. It may not knock the players around too much but Kenny will need to keep his distance.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Coming into winter the situation in Australia will get much worse. Will any team want to be travelling by plane ? I can't see teams wanting to drive between cities or to play in empty stadiums (a natural advantage for GWS as they're used to it). There's a huge potential for a whole team getting the virus. It may not knock the players around too much but Kenny will need to keep his distance.
Yep season is as good as done.
The overload on our health system will be intense in 3-4 weeks as we aren't shutting things down fast and hard like the Chinese did.
Out politicians too worried about getting voted out next time by those economically effected to act with authority.

This sucks, was looking forward to footy - as I'm sure all of us on BF were.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
I think the club are hoping Stephens will be our Zac Williams, though I can't shake the feeling we got a low teens selection at pick 5 at this stage.

Not on what we have seen so far, is as good athletically as they say he was going to be and knows exactly where to find the football. Reminds me of the young player Hanners was.

You don't lose your ability to kick either, so what the work will be now with Stephens is to get him used to the tempo, to slow down his decision making and selecting the right option to use those kicking skills.

He is the kind of player that will just explode in terms of grow in as little as 20 games.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Florent was outstanding just wish he would improve his kicking
I used to think the same about Tom Mitchell. Great at getting his hands on it, could be better at disposal. Good signs though, I guess you have to get your hands on it first. Hopefully Florent will improve his disposal as he gains more experience and finds a little more space to work in. He's become a very good player for his age. Hopefully an improving Swans midfield will help him lift another level.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I think Hayward has been decent across all three preseason games without playing a complete game.

He has shown really good pace and been flying for marks. Also had moments where he has combined well with Blakey and Papley. Which I think will be our most dsngerous attacking combination.
I'd agree with that. Hawthorn at their peak always had a dangerous group of small & medium forwards who could tear you a new one if you just focussed on curbing their talls. Our small/med forwards could be a real handful for defenders especially if we Reid and/or Buddy are competing in the air. I hope the competition for spots pushes Ronke to lift his game a level. He's shown some frustrating flashes of what he could be but failed to gain consistency.

Back