Lions Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised you went with Rayner there Dylan.
I like Rayner a lot.

I was only critical of him last year because we know how good he could be and he literally went missing for three quarters of the season. However he didn’t select himself and part of the blame did regularly go on the match committee.

Seriously hope he has a breakout year in 2020.

Yeah, that’s the position I believe he probably has the best shot at for his immediate future.

Hopefully in the NEAFL this year, most of the players get play in a position that best suits them, and the clubs need. Especially the midfielders.

Mathieson, CLyons, ESmith, Joyce and Robertson rotate as the inside mids.

Starcevich and TBerry on the wings, with stints on the ball.
I read somewhere that they were going to play Robertson in the NEAFL as an outside mid to improve his kicking. This makes sense because they want to improve his all round game. They already know what he can do on the inside. I have also heard that T Berry needs to tidy up his kicking so he may also play as an wingman as you have already stated to improve his all round game. Berry has proven he is a great pressure forward in the NEAFL.

With the Lions having many FTA and good time slot games in 2020 we should attract good attendance numbers to these and other games.
Our players should now be more accustomed to playing in games with big crown numbers. I hope this will be the case.

Our win/loss ratio in big attendance games needs to improve in 2020.
In 2019 we had 2 wins but lost 7 games.
Even at the Gabba we lost 2 and only won the Geelong game by 1 point. Of course the GWS game could have gone either way but unfortunately it did not.

The below list is in attendance number order. Apologies for my wonky copy & paste from the footwwire site.
I only listed games with over 30,000 in attendance.
Attendance
Loss
Win

I suppose what i am questioning is, will the boys embrace these big games and treat them as just another game worth 4 points and not get overwhelmed by the occasion.
This makes the round 1 game against Hawthorn at the MCG a benchmark game for the season in my view.

Round 23Sun 25 Aug 3:20pmTigersMCG
Loss 55-82
Round 4Sat 13 Apr 2:10pmBombersMCG
Loss 65-112
Qualifying FinalSat 7 Sep 7:25pmTigersGabba
Loss 65-112
Round 10Sun 26 May 3:20pmDockersOptus Stadium
Loss 72-73
Round 22Sat 17 Aug 2:10pmCatsGabba
Win 75-74

Round 5Thu 18 Apr 7:35pmMagpiesGabba
Loss 61-123

Round 17Sun 14 Jul 4:10pmPowerAdelaide Oval
Win 97-49
Round 12Sat 8 Jun 1:45pmBluesMarvel Stadium
Loss 63-78
Semi FinalSat 14 Sep 7:25pmGiantsGabba
Loss 80-83

I believe the club is going to have to work out what it’s going to do with Cox and Ah Chee.

Ah Chee is a HFF, and from watching Cox in the reserves last year, that appears to be his best position as well.

I’m not sure either has the natural game to play as a hbf’er.

It’s not a bad problem to have, as add in Coleman, and we now have good depth behind Cameron, McCarthy, Christensen and Zorko.

I believe the club is going to have to work out what it’s going to do with Cox and Ah Chee.

Ah Chee is a HFF, and from watching Cox in the reserves last year, that appears to be his best position as well.

I’m not sure either has the natural game to play as a hbf’er.

It’s not a bad problem to have, as add in Coleman, and we now have good depth behind Cameron, McCarthy, Christensen and Zorko.
I think Cox is now seen as a forward and is developing as such. Cox isn't as far out of the selection frame as some think. The coaches want him in the senior side. He needs to work on a few things though. It might just click for him this year if he gets an opportunity.

I think Cox is now seen as a forward and is developing as such. Cox isn't as far out of the selection frame as some think. The coaches want him in the senior side. He needs to work on a few things though. It might just click for him this year if he gets an opportunity.
My only concern is, and this is likely Christensen’s last year on the list, small forward and small’ish hff’ers are not necessarily positions you need an abundance of on a list.

Rayner and McFadyen are our only medium forwards.

Just feels our forwards balance is a little skewed to the smaller side.

And we potentially have Keidean Coleman’s younger brother coming through this year, so it might be a case of one out, one in.

That said, we obviously have a good depth of medium sized mids who can rotate forward, and are he genuine scoring options.

My only concern is, and this is likely Christensen’s last year on the list, small forward and small’ish hff’ers are not necessarily positions you need an abundance of on a list.

Rayner and McFadyen are our only medium forwards.

Just feels our forwards balance is a little skewed to the smaller side.

And we potentially have Keidean Coleman’s younger brother coming through this year, so it might be a case of one out, one in.

That said, we obviously have a good depth of medium sized mids who can rotate forward, and are he genuine scoring options.
Wooler?medium or key

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My 22.

Berry good #13 Adams Gardiner
Birchall Andrews Mini-Thor
Mitch Robbo Berry good #7 The Suitcase
Stef Neale Lyons
Rayner Hipwood Zorko
McCarthy McStay Cameron

Bench 4: Ah Chee, Bailey, Ellis-Yolmen, Witho
EMG: Dev, Big O/Skinner, Bundy, Starce

*Junior Berry was a utility for Vic Country. Tough nut, speed, defensive skills, good hands - needs to polish his kicking but has run and dash.
Could be that Andrew McGrath "start in a back pocket and evolve" type - 7.92 seconds on the agility test = HAS TOE!

*I have only 1 ruck this season - if Stef does an inj. in a game Hippy rucks move Birch or Darcy to CHB and Harris forward.

My 22.

Berry good #13 Adams Gardiner
Birchall Andrews Mini-Thor
Mitch Robbo Berry good #7 The Suitcase
Stef Neale Lyons
Rayner Hipwood Zorko
McCarthy McStay Cameron

Bench 4: Ah Chee, Bailey, Ellis-Yolmen, Witho
EMG: Dev, Big O/Skinner, Bundy, Starce

*Junior Berry was a utility for Vic Country. Tough nut, speed, defensive skills, good hands - needs to polish his kicking but has run and dash.
Could be that Andrew McGrath "start in a back pocket and evolve" type - 7.92 seconds on the agility test = HAS TOE!

*I have only 1 ruck this season - if Stef does an inj. in a game Hippy rucks move Birch or Darcy to CHB and Harris forward.
Do you want to see Hipwood snapped in half or something? :oops:

So during the off season I decided I'd keep track of my squiggle season predictions just to see who averaged out where. While the wins obviously arent relevant anymore, thought the overall placement of different teams might still be of interest in the event the 17 game season does go forward. Here's how I saw it going on averageover 60 odd predictions:

1. Richmond - 16.2 wins
2. West Coast - 15.3 wins
3. GWS - 15.1 wins
4. Brisbane lions - 14.6 wins
5. Geelong - 13.1 wins
6. Hawthorn - 13.1 wins
7. Western Bulldogs - 13.1 wins
8. Collingwood - 12.9 wins
9. North Melbourne - 12.7 wins
10. Freo - 11.1 wins
11. Sydney - 10.1 wins
12. St Kilda - 9.4 wins
13. Port Adelaide - 8.6 wins
14. Essendon - 7.6 wins
15. Melbourne - 7.0 wins
16. Adelaide - 6.9 wins
17. Carlton - 6.2 wins
18. Gold Coast - 5.1 wins

Reckon that top 4 still looks pretty likely even with the shorter season, so I'd hope we're still in the mix. Could also see some teams that have struggled with injury like the swans, dons or Melbourne perform better than I expected due to great time for players to recover thanks to lock down. I also reckon the sun's are a chance to finish off the bottom of the ladder in a shorter season as they won't have such an issue with young legs getting worn down.

Anyway all a bit pointless in light of reason events, but still figured I'd chuck it out here in case the season does go forward

Hope this is not the beginning of the end for Steph.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/390064
Concerning, although hopefully Stef will return in time for round two.

One player I was really disappointed with against Hawthorn was Oscar McInerney and I wouldn't be at all confident if we had to go in with him as our number one ruck. In all honesty, I actually think Archie Smith is the better ruckmen of the two, although for mine, Oscar is only marginally better around the ground, yet is far superior up forward than Archie.

The dilemma I think we face, particularly with 16 minute quarters, is that playing two ruckmen isn't required and if anything is to our detriment.

Problem is, who would you go with if Stef doesn't return for round two, whenever that will be.

Concerning, although hopefully Stef will return in time for round two.

One player I was really disappointed with against Hawthorn was Oscar McInerney and I wouldn't be at all confident if we had to go in with him as our number one ruck. In all honesty, I actually think Archie Smith is the better ruckmen of the two, although for mine, Oscar is only marginally better around the ground, yet is far superior up forward than Archie.

The dilemma I think we face, particularly with 16 minute quarters, is that playing two ruckmen isn't required and if anything is to our detriment.

Problem is, who would you go with if Stef doesn't return for round two, whenever that will be.
If we were to only go with 1?
It would have to be ‘O’ because he is more game ready due to more recent exposure to senior footy.
I think if we were to go with another tall I think I would prefer to see Eagles given a go or Skinner along with O.

A decent perspective from Dev.
Last weekends football would have been so hard for the boys as a whole. Not only our boys but all of the AFL.
There would be many similar stories to this.

Robertson: It will forever be my first game of AFL
https://www.lions.com.au/news/580969

A decent perspective from Dev.
Last weekends football would have been so hard for the boys as a whole. Not only our boys but all of the AFL.
There would be many similar stories to this.

Robertson: It will forever be my first game of AFL
https://www.lions.com.au/news/580969
Whenever it is in the future that AFL returns to a level of normalcy, I can't wait to watch Deven Robertson at the Gabba. He will be a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back