News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

NBA season just cancelled, can’t see this year going ahead. Might have a 10 round season.
The spread of the disease in US is much worse than here. Utah Jazz player Gobert tested positive not long before the suspended game.

Our Government can make the drastic call to severely restrict or close incoming international visitors (ie alternatively close our borders). At the moment people from international flights have been barely monitored. Personally I would be doing that before cancelling events within Australia.

NBA season just cancelled, can’t see this year going ahead. Might have a 10 round season.
Suspended until further notice according to the announcement made by the NBA. I would imagine they would rechedule games or have a shortened season. May be similar for the AFL season too.

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Suspended until further notice according to the announcement made by the NBA. I would imagine they would rechedule games or have a shortened season. May be similar for the AFL season too.

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

They will play a lot of games without people in attendance, the season won't be cancelled IMO. Interesting that Gobert himself feels relatively fine.

They will play a lot of games without people in attendance, the season won't be cancelled IMO. Interesting that Gobert himself feels relatively fine.
It really isn’t that bad for anyone under 60/70. Any athlete that gets will just get flu symptoms at worst.

I agree they won’t shut down the season
A) living in the most remote country in the world with all sea boarders has its advantages
B) They’ll ban attendance and keep playing

I agree that they'll do everything they can to play the season. The US is a very different environment where leagues and clubs would fear lawsuits from players and attendees who got sick from playing/attending games. If we do face empty stadiums though, it will be interesting to see the effect on individual and team performance. I suspect some players will have trouble performing at an optimal level.

I agree that they'll do everything they can to play the season. The US is a very different environment where leagues and clubs would fear lawsuits from players and attendees who got sick from playing/attending games. If we do face empty stadiums though, it will be interesting to see the effect on individual and team performance. I suspect some players will have trouble performing at an optimal level.
Not to mention that if a player on a basketball team were to catch it and pass away the damages lawsuit for lost earnings for his family for the rest of his life could be in billions.

It really isn’t that bad for anyone under 60/70. Any athlete that gets will just get flu symptoms at worst.

I agree they won’t shut down the season
A) living in the most remote country in the world with all sea boarders has its advantages
B) They’ll ban attendance and keep playing
If this plays out I reckon we'll be seeing some record breaking TV numbers.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Buddy of Minairo Frederick 2020

We will follow what the US does more than what other countries do, it's always the case. We only take it seriously if America is effected, people didn't really care that Italian soccer was suspended but suspended the NBA and its all over the news.

Agree we won't suspend the season at this point, games will be played with no spectators very early on. IMO the bye rounds will all be scraped and they have three weeks off over that time. That's just a gut feel based on nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its our AFLW team that might pay the price. They are undefeated but if their season gets canned, all anyone will hear about is how North were robbed of the AFLW flag

I can see them playing the games with no crowd (just have it televised). Might help with the boredom if people are in lockdown. Can see it if they charter their own planes and have a fairly strict protocol to control exposure.

I can see them playing the games with no crowd (just have it televised). Might help with the boredom if people are in lockdown. Can see it if they charter their own planes and have a fairly strict protocol to control exposure.

Sure they can play in empty stadiums and charter private planes (the airlines would give decent rates!) but what happen when we need to close airports?
If we just keep going without better containment measures, one week from now there will be 750-1000 cases in the community. Then what?

Frankly there is no way the season goes ahead :(

My guess is postponed by round 3, cancelled at the bye rounds. The virus will be hanging around the community for the next 6-12 months. It's going to be a long year.

Sobering thought I just realised, you can be very cautious with AFL players for as long as possible and operate in an almost closed but what the * are you going to do about the guys playing WAFL/VFL etc.

Someone in a state league is going to get Corona and play against a listed player then all hell breaks loose.

I honestly thought we would be safe but starting to get a horrible feeling we are going to have no footy very soon =(

Sobering thought I just realised, you can be very cautious with AFL players for as long as possible and operate in an almost closed but what the fu** are you going to do about the guys playing WAFL/VFL etc.

Someone in a state league is going to get Corona and play against a listed player then all hell breaks loose.

I honestly thought we would be safe but starting to get a horrible feeling we are going to have no footy very soon =(

Stopping footy all together would be going way too far. You need to keep parts of society/economy running.

This is about slowing the spread, not cocooning ourselves for eternity and hoping we don't catch COVID-19....75% of us will catch it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back