Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

The SCG is going closed doors for the cricket today.

The way things accelerate in a pandemic, I wouldn't count on attending in round 2. Especially with Sydney already having community transmission. March 27 seems an eternity away.

And if players start having the virus, I assume we'll see a suspension of the league like in the NBA.

Yep, It's on the cards. Players have to move through those petri dishes commonly known as airports & planes. Teams outside of Melb more likely to have chances to be exposed

Health wise the govt will want to discourage large gatherings
Legally I'm thinking they're looking at impacts should players or public be exposed during games.

More importantly.. all those job for the boys AFL experts are gonna be looking for a second job. Looking forward to some blessed silence from some

This is from a very good source;

The AFL are currently in a crisis meeting. Look like postponing the season for at least one month. There will be a press conference incoming shortly.

Not to make light of it but if that one month info is correct then in terms of the smaller picture (the season, not safety) we lose a block of winnable games. Is Fitzpatrick back involved with the AFL as a consultant?

Not to make light of it but if that one month info is correct then in terms of the smaller picture (the season, not safety) we lose a block of winnable games. Is Fitzpatrick back involved with the AFL as a consultant?
all mass gatherings should have been already suspended. this is a virus that travels very quickly between people. govt has been very slow to control the spread. so todelay is madness. games to be held behind closed doors and only on tv would be best case.

all mass gatherings should have been already suspended. this is a virus that travels very quickly between people. govt has been very slow to control the spread. so todelay is madness. games to be held behind closed doors and only on tv would be best case.
just heard on SEN that the govt has said that all gatherings of more than 500 people has been banned australia wide

Government is doing a ******* lousy job. We were given the luxury of being relatively CV-free and having countries like China, Italy, South Korea and Iran to use as examples. But Morrison and co have squandered that time advantage with their 'let's wait and see' approach, instead of being pro-active, using those other countries as warnings, and ensuring the risk of spread was minimised from the get-go. Effing embarrassing.

Government is doing a ******* lousy job. We were given the luxury of being relatively CV-free and having countries like China, Italy, South Korea and Iran to use as examples. But Morrison and co have squandered that time advantage with their 'let's wait and see' approach, instead of being pro-active, using those other countries as warnings, and ensuring the risk of spread was minimised from the get-go. Effing embarrassing.
they tried to squeeve more money into the economy by not banning italy and tried to get the Grand Prix over the line/ they just allowed more infections instead. hindsight is wonderful but they had Italy as a mirror. weak leadership is exposed again. they still wanted to get the Grand Prix going today. dumb and dumber. even after the WHO declared a Pandemic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, they've had one eye on the economy and it has led to a response that has at times been contradictory. Even yesterday's announcement about dishing out $750 to some families yet they don't want crowds. Hello, shopping. I wonder how much will be spent on online purchases from China?

A good source told me they are expecting an announcement later today that all participatory sport (not sure if it'll include professional) will be suspended.

Nonsense.

Expose them all now (including healthy staff), quarantine them and start the season a month late after they are no longer at risk or a risk to anyone else . They will probabvly all get it anyway and spread it further with the current random approach.

Scomo will go to the footy tomorrow and hit up Hillsong conference on the weekend . Then the 500 ban will come in on Monday.
Crazy

Exactly the opposite of how a government needs to function in the case of a pandemic.

A governments only function is to line it it's own pockets. You shouldn't expect anything beyond that.

A governments only function is to line it it's own pockets. You shouldn't expect anything beyond that.

I guess a naive part of my brain thought that given the indiscriminate nature of this outbreak, particularly towards the age demographic that make up a decent chunk of our government, that this more than any bushfires or climate change would get them to pull their fingers out.

I guess a naive part of my brain thought that given the indiscriminate nature of this outbreak, particularly towards the age demographic that make up a decent chunk of our government, that this more than any bushfires or climate change would get them to pull their fingers out.

you have to remember the psychology of the kind of scumbags that run for public office.

They have actively decided to leech off the hard work of others for their own benefit.

I can't think of a lower form of life than a public servant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back