Clubs that are defunct or merged throughout Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stay tuned :(

Good, but very depressing mail that you've received :(

From the ODFA facebook page:

Important Announcement

Unfortunately both the Oatlands and Swansea Football Clubs have notified the Association that they will be unable to field sides for the 2020 season.

This will reduce the O.D.F.A. to a 5 Team competition.

The season will now commence on March 28th .
A new roster will be drawn up.

Good, but very depressing mail that you've received :(

From the ODFA facebook page:

Important Announcement

Unfortunately both the Oatlands and Swansea Football Clubs have notified the Association that they will be unable to field sides for the 2020 season.

This will reduce the O.D.F.A. to a 5 Team competition.

The season will now commence on March 28th .
A new roster will be drawn up.
Very sad. Sad part is, they won't be the last clubs to go down the shovel either.
How many's that gone from the ODFA in the past 20 years or so?
The House of Cards that is Tasmanian football is about to come crashing down around us, those at grass roots level all know it, pity the big knobs aren't interested, all they care about is pie in the sky AFL team pipe dreams and a VFL team.
I can tell you, Hobart was very close to going under at the end of last season, were in worse shape than 1997.

Very sad. Sad part is, they won't be the last clubs to go down the shovel either.
How many's that gone from the ODFA in the past 20 years or so?
The House of Cards that is Tasmanian football is about to come crashing down around us, those at grass roots level all know it, pity the big knobs aren't interested, all they care about is pie in the sky AFL team pipe dreams and a VFL team.
I can tell you, Hobart was very close to going under at the end of last season, were in worse shape than 1997.

Let's take it back further and see how good my memory is regarding old ODFA clubs.

(Year is last fielding a side - get a bit vague about the mid 2000's)

Tunbridge 1982
Parattah 1987
Colebrook 1995
Ross 2000 (1st Time)
Tunnack 2001
Woodsdale 2001 (1st time)
Kempton 2003?
Woodsdale 2003
Ross 2007?
Woodsdale Mid 2010's
Tasman Peninsula 2017?
Oatlands 2019
Swansea 2019

Last edited:

Just had a read:
Tunbridge: 1952-1981.
Parattah: 1952-1986.
Colebrook: 1974-1978 & 1989-1994.
Kempton: 1974-2003.
Ross: 1980-2000 & 2006-2008.
Tunnack: 1980-2001.
Woodsdale: 1952-2015.
Tasman Peninsula: 2011-2017.
Oatlands: 1978-2005 & 2014-2019.
Swansea: 2002-2019.

Then there was Bothwell that played from 1987-2005 that formed an alliance with Oatlands and Kempton to form SFL club, Central Hawks.
Mount Pleasant almost went under when that allignment happened but luckily survived it.
Both Oatlands and Bothwell reformed a few years later, Bothwell went from strength to strength, Oatlands really battled after that.
Gotta wonder where it's all going to end, could legitimately end up having one league in the south with the small number of teams left in the future.

Just had a read:
Tunbridge: 1952-1981.
Parattah: 1952-1986.
Colebrook: 1974-1978 & 1989-1994.
Kempton: 1974-2003.
Ross: 1980-2000 & 2006-2008.
Tunnack: 1980-2001.
Woodsdale: 1952-2015.
Tasman Peninsula: 2011-2017.
Oatlands: 1978-2005 & 2014-2019.
Swansea: 2002-2019.

Then there was Bothwell that played from 1987-2005 that formed an alliance with Oatlands and Kempton to form SFL club, Central Hawks.
Mount Pleasant almost went under when that allignment happened but luckily survived it.
Both Oatlands and Bothwell reformed a few years later, Bothwell went from strength to strength, Oatlands really battled after that.
Gotta wonder where it's all going to end, could legitimately end up having one league in the south with the small number of teams left in the future.

I stuffed up and used year they first went into Recess it seems.

Oatlands actually had a couple decent years there. Back to Back GF's and a flag in '14-'15.

The complete lack of local players killed them

I stuffed up and used year they first went into Recess it seems.

Oatlands actually had a couple decent years there. Back to Back GF's and a flag in '14-'15.

The complete lack of local players killed them
Yeah we lost quite a few of our reserves team up to Oatlands when the late Tony Rosendale quit Hobart and went up there to coach in 2017.
It's getting hard to get local players anywhere now, a good mate of mine played at two of the clubs in the Huon (Kermandie and Channel) that both went under for the same reason when he was there.
Had the money to pay players but couldn't get anybody to come down.
I don't know if there's ever going to be a way back for footy, sadly.

What was the reason for a club like Kempton going under ? you would think for that league it wouldn't be hard to get blokes to commute to Kempton to play footy. Also did Bagdad ever have a team ?

What was the reason for a club like Kempton going under ? you would think for that league it wouldn't be hard to get blokes to commute to Kempton to play footy. Also did Bagdad ever have a team ?

Kempton was the rare case of a club folding, not because of a lack of players, but because of a lack of Committee. Too few doing too many tasks.

I personally can't recall Bagdad, but Kingpin would be able to confirm a lot more accurately than me.

Kempton was the rare case of a club folding, not because of a lack of players, but because of a lack of Committee. Too few doing too many tasks.

I personally can't recall Bagdad, but Kingpin would be able to confirm a lot more accurately than me.
There was a Bagdad team that played in the old Richmond Football Association in the 1930s alongside teams such as Richmond, Campania, Colebrook, Tea Tree, Kempton, Dunalley, Sorell and the original Brighton (no relation to the current one).
The original Brighton wore brown with a gold V, my grandfather played for them in the 1940s when they were in the South Eastern District FA.

Bagdad was last known to have played in the SEDFA and later the SDFA.
Last known grand final appearance was when they were known as Bagdad-Mangalore Rovers in the 1946 SEDFA Grand Final where they lost by 32-points to Richmond.
There was a Mercury article from 17th April 1947 which mentioned that Bagdad-Mangalore Rovers had decided to join the Southern Country District FA but no other mentions of them after that.
By the looks of it they've disappeared sometime in either the late 1940s or sometime in the 1950s.

Re: Kempton.
That was the exact same problem which saw Sorell forced into recess at the end of 2002 after only one season in the SFL Premier League.
Couldn't get enough people to run the club and couldn't put a board together.
Came out of recess a year later to play in the Regional League with a new board and people around the club and did very well. Made a couple of Grand Finals in the next few years.

It's ironic because the reality is, if Sorell didn't go into recess and ultimately drop down a level on their return, Lauderdale would never have gotten the opportunity to play in the Premier League and eventually go on to where they are today, having played in the last two State League Grand Finals.
Their two Grand Final appearances in the Regional League at the time Sorell collapsed was what got them the nod as Sorell's replacement.
At the time, Sorell was actually seen as a better candidate for upper level football because their area was another one of these "fastest growing areas" that we would keep hearing about endlessly.
Look at the difference in the two clubs now, Lauderdale have a solid following, have played finals in the TSL for eight years in a row including the past two Grand Finals and have been a club which has been able to recruit well over a number of years.
Sorell have been dreadful for over ten years, languishing at the bottom of the SFL and have a very small following, they have been a club which has rarely been able to recruit good players and perenially lose their talented home grown players to other bigger clubs.
Only similarities between the two nowdays is both haven't won a flag in three decades.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see a list conparing the number of leagues and clubs in say 1990 compared to the one posted above there by KP.

I can remember my uncle telling me about his playing days at Bridgewater as well... yellow and black from memory was this right king pin ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can remember my uncle telling me about his playing days at Bridgewater as well... yellow and black from memory was this right king pin ?
Nah Risdon Vale wore the Tigers uniform.
Can't remember off the top of my head what Bridgewater's colours and jumper was (Bombers I think it was).
They used to play at Weilly Park.
Both been gone for a long time, in the 80s, Hobart could've been called Risdon Vale they had so many Vale boys playing there!

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see a list conparing the number of leagues and clubs in say 1990 compared to the one posted above there by KP.
I have magazines called the Tasmanian Football Yearbook, these were put out each year in the late 80s and early 90s, used to grab a copy for $2.95 from Winnings at North Hobart!
I think they're packed away in a box in my spareroom, but I did find one from 1988.

Darwin Football Association: 1988
Cuprona.
Myalla. ✖
Natone.
Ridgley.
Somerset.
South Burnie.
Sprent. ✖
West Ulverstone.
Yeoman.
Yolla.

Western Tasmanian Football Association: 1988
Lyell-Gormanston ✖
Queenstown.
Zeehan. ✖
Rosebery-Toorak.

Oatlands District Football Association: 1988
Bothwell.
Kempton. ✖ (Folded in 2003)
Mt Pleasant.
Oatlands.✖ (Folded in 2020)
Ross.✖ (Folded in 2007)
Tunnack.✖ (Folded in 2001)
Woodsdale.✖ (Folded in 2015)

Fingal Football Association: 1988
Avoca. ✖
Campbell Town.
Fingal. ✖
St Helens.
St Marys. ✖
Swansea. ✖

North East Football Union: 1988
Branxholm. ✖
Bridport.
Lilydale.
Ringarooma. ✖
Scottsdale Crows. ✖
Winnaleah. ✖

Esk-Deloraine Football Association: 1988
Bracknell.
Cressy. ✖
Evandale.
Hagley. ✖
Mole Creek.
Perth.
Red Hills. ✖ (Folded just prior to 1988 season)
Westbury. ✖

Tasmanian Amateur Football League (North): 1988
Beaconsfield. ✖
Beauty Point. ✖
Bridgenorth.
Exeter. ✖
Hillwood.
Longford.
Mowbray. ✖
Northern Districts. ✖
Old Launcestonians.
Old Scotch Collegians.
Rocherlea.
St Patricks.

Tasmanian Amateur Football League (South): 1988
Bridgewater. ✖
Claremont.
Lachlan. ✖
Lauderdale.
Lindisfarne.
Mangalore. ❌ (Renamed Brighton in 1996).
Richmond-Campania. ❌ (De-Merged in the 1990s)
Sorell.

North West Football Association: 1988
Elizabeth Town-Railton ✖ (folded in 1989)
Forth.
Motton-Preston.
Sheffield.
Spreyton.
Turners Beach.
Ulverstone District. ✖
Wesley Vale.

Peninsula Football Association: 1988
Eaglehawk Neck. ✖ (Folded in 2001)
Nubeena.✖ (Folded in 2001)
Port Arthur.✖ (Folded in 2001)
Premaydena.✖ (Folded in 2001)

Huon Football Association: 1988
Channel. ✖
Cygnet.
Franklin. ❌ (Merged with Huonville in 1998)
Huonville. ❌ (Merged with Franklin in 1998)
Kermandie. ✖
Kingston. (Renamed Kingborough Tigers in 2005)

Northern Tasmanian Football League: 1988
Burnie Tigers. ❌ (Merged with Burnie Hawks in 1994)
Deloraine.
East Devonport.
George Town.
Latrobe.
Launceston.
Penguin.
Scottsdale.
Smithton. ✖
Ulverstone.
Wynyard.

TFL Statewide League: 1988
Burnie Hawks. ❌ (Merged with Burnie Tigers in 1994)
Clarence.
Devonport.
Glenorchy.
Hobart.
New Norfolk.
North Hobart.
North Launceston.
Sandy Bay. ✖ (Folded in 1997)
South Launceston.

Last edited:
1990 TFL Statewide League.
Burnie Hawks. ❌ (Merged with Burnie Tigers in 1994)
Clarence.
Devonport.
Glenorchy.
Hobart.
New Norfolk.
North Hobart.
North Launceston.
Sandy Bay. ✖ (Folded in 1997)
South Launceston.

1990 Northern Tasmanian Football League.
Burnie Tigers.❌ (Merged with Burnie Hawks in 1994)
Deloraine.
East Devonport.
George Town.
Latrobe.
Launceston.
Penguin.
Scottsdale.
Smithton.✖ (Folded in 2019)
Ulverstone.
Wynyard.

1990 North West Football Association.
Forth.
Motton-Preston.
Sheffield.
Spreyton.
Turners Beach.
Ulverstone District. ❌ (Merged with Sprent in 1999, became East Ulverstone)
Wesley Vale.

1990 Tasmanian Amateur Football League (South).
Bridgewater. ✖ (Folded in 1992)
Claremont.
Lachlan. ✖ (Folded in 1997)
Lauderdale.
Lindisfarne.
Mangalore. (Renamed Brighton in 1996).
Richmond-Campania. ❌ (De-Merged in the 1990s)
Sorell.

1990 Tasmanian Amateur Football League (North).
Bridgenorth.
Exeter. ✖ (Folded in 1992)
Hillwood.
Longford.
Mowbray. ✖
Northern Districts. ✖ (Folded in 2000)
Old Launcestonians.
Old Scotch Collegians.
Rocherlea.
St Patricks.
Tamar Cats ✖❌ (Merger of Beaconsfield & Beauty Point in late 1989)

1990 Circular Head Football Association.
Forest-Stanley
Irishtown.
(Latrobe) City ✖❌ (Merged with Trowutta in 1996)
Redpa.
Scotchtown.
Trowutta ✖❌ (Folded in 1992. Merged with City)

1990 Darwin Football Association.
Cuprona.
Myalla. ✖ (Folded in 2006)
Natone.
Ridgley.
Somerset.
South Burnie.
Sprent. ❌ (Merged with Ulverstone District in 1999, became East Ulverstone)
West Ulverstone.
Yeoman.
Yolla.

1990 Fingal Football Association.
Avoca ✖ (Folded prior to start of 1990)
Campbell Town.
Fingal. ✖ (Folded in 2015)
St Helens.❌ (Renamed East Coast Swans)
St Marys. ✖ (Folded in 2002)
Swansea. ✖ (Folded in 2020)

1990 Huon Football Association.
Channel. ✖ (Folded in 2016)
Cygnet.
Franklin. ❌ (Merged with Huonville in 1998)
Huonville. ❌ (Merged with Franklin in 1998)
Kermandie. ✖ (Folded in 2010)
Kingston. (Renamed Kingborough Tigers in 2005)

1990 North East Football Union.
Branxholm. ✖ (Folded in 2015)
Bridport.
Lilydale.
Ringarooma. ✖ (Folded in 2012)
Scottsdale Crows. ✖ (Folded in 2017)
Winnaleah. ✖ (Folded in 2017)

1990 Oatlands District Football Association.
Bothwell.
Colebrook ✖ (Folded in 1994)
Kempton. ✖ (Folded in 2003)
Mt Pleasant.
Oatlands.✖ (Folded in 2020)
Ross.✖ (Folded in 2008)
Tunnack.✖ (Folded in 2001)
Woodsdale.✖ (Folded in 2015)

1990 Western Tasmanian Football Association.
Lyell-Gormanston ❌ (Merged with Queenstown in 1995)
Queenstown. ❌ (Merged with Lyell-Gormanston in 1995)
Zeehan. ✖ (Folded in 1998)
Rosebery-Toorak.

1990 Tasman Football Association.
Dodges Ferry.
Dunalley. ✖
Triabunna.
Cambridge. ✖ (Folded in 1999)
Campania.

1990 Peninsula Football Association.
Eaglehawk Neck. ✖ (Folded in 2001)
Nubeena.✖ (Folded in 2001)
Port Arthur.✖ (Folded in 2001)
Premaydena.✖ (Folded in 2001)

1990 Old Scholars Football Association.
DOSA.
Friends. ✖ (Folded in 2005)
Hutchins.
New Town Old Scholars. ✖ (Folded in 1995)
OHA.
St Virgil's.
University.

Kingpin you ever thought of penning a book about tasmanian football, Bloody wealth of knowledge you are !

Makes some very sad reading that list, on the old schools teams that have folded I think I remember that Friends were kicked off the school oval at Queens Walk was that the reason that they came to and end?, anyone might know the reasons behind New Town Old Scholars. (OTOS) demise I remember they had a good set up with bar etc above the changerooms at New Town High back in the day.

Makes some very sad reading that list, on the old schools teams that have folded I think I remember that Friends were kicked off the school oval at Queens Walk was that the reason that they came to and end?, anyone might know the reasons behind New Town Old Scholars. (OTOS) demise I remember they had a good set up with bar etc above the changerooms at New Town High back in the day.

Didn’t friend go to tca for a bit before they folded ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah Risdon Vale wore the Tigers uniform.
Can't remember off the top of my head what Bridgewater's colours and jumper was (Bombers I think it was).
They used to play at Weilly Park.
Both been gone for a long time, in the 80s, Hobart could've been called Risdon Vale they had so many Vale boys playing there!
Weren't Bridgewater the Swans? Black swan. Because of the Swans living near the Bridgwater bridge.

Happy to be corrected but that's my recollection.

Didn’t friend go to tca for a bit before they folded ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
When they got kicked off Bell Street they went to North Hobart for a time before they collapsed.
Friends School basically disowned them which was sad.
St Virgils played at the TCA for some time in the 1990s, not sure which years exactly but they were there in 1999.
PS: Madmug - I'm not too sure to be honest.
I'll ask a mate of mine, he played against them lol.

Yeah Friends' Of Quakers Society Of Tasmania (where the name Friends' is derived from) kicked them off their grounds and turned them into soccer pitches from memory.
I think they lasted one or two seasons at North Hobart but not all that long anyway.
DOSA got booted off Tolosa Street to make way for some classroom block up there.
They ended up out at St Anne's Cricket Club ground out near Cadbury for awhile but it wasn't suitable.
Ended up at North Hobart, based up in the Doug Plaister Stand for several years but stuffed up that arrangement when, on premiership night one year, broke into the timekeeper's box and kept ringing the siren at North Hobart in the middle of the night.
Nearby residents, including one extremely influential one, cracked the shits and wrote to the Council and they were subsequently removed and sent up to the TCA Ground. Coincided with the Hobart City club thing who took over that facility when DOSA ended up at the TCA.

Thanks for the info on Friends and the info on DOSA luckily, they did not go the way of Friends after being kicked off the School Grounds. I did some gogling and note australianfootball.com blurb on Friends states “However, early in the 2006 season, after struggling badly for some years, Friends was forced to withdraw from the competition owing to a lack of players.”

I wonder how many more clubs will go the wall due to the latest suspension of the 2020 season and no revenue streams?

Thanks for the info on Friends and the info on DOSA luckily, they did not go the way of Friends after being kicked off the School Grounds. I did some gogling and note australianfootball.com blurb on Friends states “However, early in the 2006 season, after struggling badly for some years, Friends was forced to withdraw from the competition owing to a lack of players.”

I wonder how many more clubs will go the wall due to the latest suspension of the 2020 season and no revenue streams?
Yes FOBFC folded before the season started.
Couldn't get enough players. From memory I think Jason Frawley, ex-Hobart and Cygnet might've been the coach there at the time.
I'm very concerned about the local clubs here mate, the AFL clubs are stating they are looking at financial losses of $5-10 million dollars as a result of this if it goes on indefinitely.
They can be bailed out with the massive warchest the AFL has behind it, but the local and state clubs have been running off the drippings of their noses for a long time now, you'd have to think that there will be casualties of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back